Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly allows for very easy on and off loading without the aid of build up boards and such. Zero clearance issues loading and towing. I have an unpublished 11 minute video of a 2014 Prius being loaded, towed and unloaded on our newest generation dolly. If you want to send me your email privately I will be glad to send it to you. Whether you buy our dolly or not, you will see and learn a lot about towing a Prius. We have several hundred people towing Prius on our dollies trouble free.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EZE Tow,

Anytime you want to send an E-mail to a person on a thread, just point over their name and it will pop up a box that gives you a choice of sending a private message. I would love to see your video and your dolly is one I have been looking at so thank you for seeing this and responding to me. Lynne

Old 09-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #17

We have towed our Prius over 11,000 miles with the use of a Tow Master dolly. We have never had any problem. I keep the rear camera on to keep an eye on the tow, otherwise you don't know it's back there.
Gary D.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I towed a Prius on a dolly for a one summer. Pretty simple to do. Drive up on the dolly, turn it off, don't apply the parking brake, tie down the wheels, fasten the safety chains, and go. Front wheels are off the ground, so worrying about being in Park or steering lock is n/a.

I used a Roadmaster dolly with steerable wheels. There is a non-steerable dolly made by ACME that requires unlocked steering on the auto; that one may be a problem.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Gary and wilanddij,

EZE Tow sent me a video and I am a bit unsure about keeping the steering unlocked but will need to figure it out by the time we hit the road. My Prius is a 2012.

I am interested in keeping the rear camera on though, didn't know you could do that. I've been thinking about a MH with a rear window so one of us could check every so often. Course if it came off it would be a bit late for checking if it is 50 miles back.

How do you keep the rear camera on??

Thank you for the info, Lynne
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I leave the rear camera on all the time. Just turn on the power button. On, mine, I have to hold the button about five seconds to make it come on.
Also, it makes lane changes really easy.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH is also a Fleetwood (Southwind), and the camera can be on any time the ignition is on. Allows me to look at the toad anytime and use the screen like another rear view mirror.

Little bit off topic, but I tie a white rag to the steering wheel at TDC and can tell in the camera when the front wheels track in a turn.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #22
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Your Prius does not have a locking steering column. There is nothing to unlock. As you saw in the video, the set up with the Acme EZE-TOW TOW DOLLY works very well with the Prius. No loading boards or loading aids. Loads, tows, and unloads very easily. Makes 110 degree back to back turns without issue as seen in the video. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Thanks Gary and wilanddij,

EZE Tow sent me a video and I am a bit unsure about keeping the steering unlocked but will need to figure it out by the time we hit the road. My Prius is a 2012.

I am interested in keeping the rear camera on though, didn't know you could do that. I've been thinking about a MH with a rear window so one of us could check every so often. Course if it came off it would be a bit late for checking if it is 50 miles back.

How do you keep the rear camera on??

Thank you for the info, Lynne
Our ACE gives you the option of selecting either side camera or the rear while driving by pressing the CAM button and then selecting the camera. The turn signal will override your selection, then go back to your selection when the turn signal goes off. The rear camera comes on while in reverse. Gary D.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for the camera info. Since we don't have our MH yet these are things we will find out next summer. We are looking at Newmar and Damon and are really looking forward to retirement.

Figured out the non locking steering wheel this am. Glad it is not a problem for towing in the future because the Prius gets really good gas mileage and has plenty of leg room and really wanted to take that more than the Colorado.

Thanks everyone for the help, Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow