Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #15

I leave the steering wheel unlocked when towing and the strapped down wheels do turn slightly on the dolly in a tight turn. And I'm sure that someone will say how dangerous that is and it will kill us all.
Sometimes it is hard to believe how much some of the posters here overthink things and make everything so complicated, what ever happened to, "Simple but works".
If I want to check my tire or wheel bearing temp., I put my hand on them and if I say "Ouch, that's too hot", then I find out why.

Maybe it's because many RVers are retired and we just have too much time on our hands so we try to make everything more difficult than it really is.

There is no probably about it, the ACME is more than sufficient. After more than 7000 miles the tires look almost new and everything works like the day I bought it.
And we all make tight turns everytime we go into a gas station or parking lot or campground.

It has never put a mark on my Santa Fe or DW's PT Cruiser convert., which I'm sure has a lower air dam in the front than your Crosstour and never had to block ramps or lower the RV.

The Roadmaster looks like it has every bell and whistle and I bet is a great dolly, but it should be, since you paid more than twice what I did for my ACME.

And I can carry a car that is 4" wider and 685 lbs heavier. Hmmmmmmmmm........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
I have only used my eze dolly a couple times but it is great. Easy to store at home base, not to heavy to move around and the brakes work very well. Can't beat the warranty either. Those "little" 10 inch tires are 22 inches tall and can hall a load of over 3,000 lbs. Everyone has their favorite, EZE is mine, Thanks

You are one use ahead of me, Wingman8, but my second run with our Eze Tow is coming up next week. So far so good and we're happy with our purchase. here's hoping it all stays that way!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've only used our EZE TOW dolly for roughly 1300 miles to date, so maybe I'm not qualified to give it thumbs up nor down as of yet, but our experience with it so far have been great. When I uncrated it, I found everything to be fine, the fenders took a bit of finessing to fit, but no great effort really. The tail lights bolted right on and are showing no signs of loosening. The straps are bound to stretch, especially during the first couple of uses. Whenever we stop for a break, gas up or to eat, I always check them and maybe add a click or two (I like them very tight). I have to make a couple real tight turns so far & it came through like a trooper. I have a bungee cord hooked on each ramp & hook one end of each to the dolly, just while loading and the front wheel drive tow'd slightly chucked one ramp once. No biggie. I'm hoping we continue to have the good service we've had out of the EZE TOW for a very long time to come. I'm far from being an optimist, but I think this little unit will work out just fine.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-Road-Pr View Post
I have a bungee cord hooked on each ramp & hook one end of each to the dolly, just while loading and the front wheel drive tow'd slightly chucked one ramp once.
Why do the ramps need bungee cords hooked on. Don't the ramps attach to the dolly for loading?

Art
Old 08-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #19

The ramps don't actually attach to the dolly, you just drive up on them and onto the dolly.
When you have the front wheels on top of the ramps but not onto the dolly yet, DO NOT do what my wife did and hit the gas, it was on smooth concrete and she shot the ramps out from under the tires and the front of my Santa Fe came down on the dolly with a bang. Luckily no damage, but it was the last time I let her drive up onto the dolly.
All you have to do is drive up the ramps normally and it isn't a problem, just don't let my wife drive your car.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Be very alert to tire wear on the EZE tow. We left for AK with two spares and a new unit. we went thru two tires before Whitehorse, Yukon. Found out the axles were out of alignment. Also had problems with lights and wiring Surge breaks worked fine. I was happy to switch to four down when we changed toads.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #21

Thirty one hundred miles with eze tow. I have mixed emotions. On California's bridges, during the transition from road to bridge, the bounce is enough to cause the car to shift. At a legal speed, the car comes back off the lip of the L beam. Quarter panel on the rf of my Nissan is scratched as is my alloy wheel from the strap ring. I bent one ratchet hook, had the straps loosen five or six times until Max at camping world gave me a few pointers. Then, loosening only happened three more times. I fried a tire, had a lot of trouble getting the hitch on and off the ball and worrisome wear on my straps. Definitely, some user error, but, Acme has redesigned the ratchet system since my unit was new two years ago and will not honor a warranty except to the original owner. They do offer new accessories that include a different strapping system and ratchets for 190 bucks and then a trip to a welder. No wonder why I am the third owner of the two year old dolly. The previous owner bought a Jeep and is now four wheels down. On a brighter note, the employees at Acme are a friendly lot and mean well.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas0381 View Post
Thirty one hundred miles with eze tow. I have mixed emotions...No wonder why I am the third owner of the two year old dolly. The previous owner bought a Jeep and is now four wheels down. On a brighter note, the employees at Acme are a friendly lot and mean well.
Interesting points, but aren't many of these symptoms common to most mfgt's (like bouncing on hard bumps = no dolly suspension, straps come slack = it's a web strap thing, hitch gets jammed)?

I'm the second owner on my EZE-Tow and have had nothing but good service from our dolly in the 3,000 miles I've put on it.

Towing 4down is surely easier, but can't compare to a dolly with the costs of the towbar and braking systems on each car you want to tow.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas0381 View Post
Thirty one hundred miles with eze tow. I have mixed emotions. On California's bridges, during the transition from road to bridge, the bounce is enough to cause the car to shift. At a legal speed, the car comes back off the lip of the L beam. Quarter panel on the rf of my Nissan is scratched as is my alloy wheel from the strap ring. I bent one ratchet hook, had the straps loosen five or six times until Max at camping world gave me a few pointers. Then, loosening only happened three more times. I fried a tire, had a lot of trouble getting the hitch on and off the ball and worrisome wear on my straps. Definitely, some user error, but, Acme has redesigned the ratchet system since my unit was new two years ago and will not honor a warranty except to the original owner. They do offer new accessories that include a different strapping system and ratchets for 190 bucks and then a trip to a welder. No wonder why I am the third owner of the two year old dolly. The previous owner bought a Jeep and is now four wheels down. On a brighter note, the employees at Acme are a friendly lot and mean well.

You seem to have a lot of trouble with your dolly, mine is the same age and
I did have the upgrade welded on, works great. Have never had a strap come
loose or have a mark on my toad or wheels and never had hitch problems or
"fried" (flat?) a tire, and I have almost 10,000 miles on mine.
My guess is that I'll have to agree with your "some user error" statement...

Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK ! I have an issue with Acme now. I was coming down Lookout Mountain yesterday and my dolly wheels were smoking like crazy. I was using my tranny to do most of the slowing down. After I inspected the wheels, it looks as though the bearing grease turned to oil. :( I unloaded my vehicle and let it cool down. I also called Acme and was told to call the axle man. He said it was ok to continue 30 miles to my destination. He told me to call him tomorrow with an address so he can send me some parts. Fine and dandy, but how was I suppose to have avoided this burn out? Do I need to do a brake job every time I come down a large mountain side? I will keep you filled in as to what happens here. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreek7 View Post
OK ! I have an issue with Acme now. I was coming down Lookout Mountain yesterday and my dolly wheels were smoking like crazy. I was using my tranny to do most of the slowing down. After I inspected the wheels, it looks as though the bearing grease turned to oil. :( I unloaded my vehicle and let it cool down. I also called Acme and was told to call the axle man. He said it was ok to continue 30 miles to my destination. He told me to call him tomorrow with an address so he can send me some parts. Fine and dandy, but how was I suppose to have avoided this burn out? Do I need to do a brake job every time I come down a large mountain side? I will keep you filled in as to what happens here. Any suggestions?
Need more info...Are the brake pads in need of change...Do you think the heat was from the hubs or the brakes? Big differences here...

~Brakes needing new pads = less braking power being applied at the discs = extra weight placed on the surge brake head (the dolly tongue) = extra heat build-up in the braking system at the wheels. It's an evil cycle that leads to a mechanical failure

~If it was just overheated hubs (no brake problem), that can be fixed with hub parts. Routine hub maint. may have been needed if yours is older, but the newer models have "vault hubs" that are sealed, so there's nothing that can be done except to ensure the 5 yr. maint. cycle per mfgt recommendations.

~If it was a flaw in the brake control system (brake head on the dolly tongue), then the self adjusting component of the surge system may have been allowing/applying too much braking pressure...heating everything up. If your toad is within weight limits, than there may be an issue in the surge brake head. Fixing the hubs won't correct that problem.

We have had no problems going down MAJOR hills (4100ft in CA and 4300ft in OR). My first check everytime I stop is to always feel the hubs for excess heat...did it on my old TT, do it to my boat trailer and dolly...it's a trailer thing.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #26

SequimGuy, Do you still have the EZE-Tow? If yes , are you still happy with it? Marvh
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvh View Post
SequimGuy, Do you still have the EZE-Tow? If yes , are you still happy with it? Marvh

Yes and yes.......
It does everything I need a dolly to do, it hauls a vehicle behind my MH,
is easy to operate, and doesn't give me any problems.
It is simple, well built, and works great. That's all I need.

And last month I had to tow it 1400 miles......empty. And still no problems.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're touring the US with currently over 4000 miles on our EzeTow. It has been problem free and am extremely pleased.

I installed nylon lock nuts when installing the tail lights. They are as tight now as they were when i installed them.

Only issue i had was with the supplied adjustable straps. I didn't like the way they fit, even with using the various loop options on the strap to fit the small 15" wheels on our Honda Fit. These straps are like a looped belt and really didn't fit well on the tire and keep tight across the tire. I called Eze Tow and adjusted as they recommended. Still didn't like the fit.

I changed and went with the non-adjustable Demco style fixed straps with snap hooks and a single "tail strap" that is tightened in the dolly winch. These work well and keep the tire firmly tied to the dolly.

Tags
dollies, dolly, excursion, fleetwood, toad