Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Have you used rampage motorcycle lift?

Hi,
We are newbies with a diesel pusher 400 cummings. We are thinking about towing a Chevy 2500HD with a rampage motorcycle lift for our Goldwing. Would appreciate any feedback on those who carry their motorcycle in a truck. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

I use a Rampage lift to load my large & heavy, full dress Harley on the back deck of my HDT. a bit different application than a pickup bed, but the same device. I've had good use from mine. Since my HDT deck is a bit higher than the typical pickup bed, mines right at the maximum height and load.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandandSun View Post
Hi,
We are newbies with a diesel pusher 400 cummings. We are thinking about towing a Chevy 2500HD with a rampage motorcycle lift for our Goldwing. Would appreciate any feedback on those who carry their motorcycle in a truck. Thanks!

Well Sir,
We do exactly what you're asking. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, we used to carry our '04 GL 1800 Wing on "Hydralift" that I mounted on the rear of our coach. It worked great but, some things changed and, we sold the Hydralift and, headed towards the Rampage.

Our present toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab works great as a toad. And, I knew pretty much that it would carry the weight of the Rampage and the Wing, without issue. I purchased the used Rampage for right at $1500 used and, I might add, it was used only one time. I set that Rampage up with a mounting system such that, it's removable in about 3-4 minutes.

I built a "cart" that is about, 1/2" higher than the height of the trucks bed. I then un plug the winch, use a speed wrench on the 5 bolts that hold it down and then, I lift the end of the Rampage, slide it out about half way and, lift it a bit more and the wife rolls that cart right under it. I then set that lift down on the cart and, roll it away and put it in it's parking place in the corner of the garage. DONE!

When it comes time to mount it to carry the bike, it's reverse for that operation. Works great. That way we get full use of the truck all the time and that Rampage only lives in there temporarily. While the Rampage is not as stable as the Hydralift in terms of quality of tightness in component relations, it's the best thing going to carry a large, heavy motor cycle in the back of a pickup and, the good part, IT DOES ALL THE WORK in both loading and un loading the bike.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to see or hear more of how I set the system up. Good luck. That Rampage is approximately 275 lbs. So, lifting one end of it, just enough to slide it on the bed of the truck is actually quite easy. Not to mention, Rampage thought ahead of time. They installed ultra low friction plastic blocks on the bottom side of it. So, when I slide it in or out of the bed, there are "0" scratches on the bed surface. When the bike is being moved up the lift, it looks more unstable than it really is. I stopped it about half way up and, tried to move it and, it wasn't bad at all.

Once the lift and bike is fully seated in the bed, I attach four more tie downs at strategic locations. That bike rides like a rock in there. We've been using it now for a couple of years and have had zero issue with its use. I'd highly recommend it.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

I like the lift idea better than the Goldwing sticking out the back of that little pickup.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
I like the lift idea better than the Goldwing sticking out the back of that little pickup.
RW,
That's a full sized truck. Pictures many times, do not do justice to the real world. Yes, a tad part of the bike sticks out but, when you see it from the side, over 90% of the bike is in the back of the truck. The payload is 1500 lbs for that particular truck. The Wing and the carrier are right at, 1275-1300 lbs. The suspension dips right at 2" when both are in there. I do like the Hydralift but, this system works flawless too.
Scott
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

I have been considering getting one from this company, made of aluminum and about half the weight of the Rampage:

Motorcycle Loader

I saw it in use earlier this year and the guy had said he was real happy with it and had considered a few others before buying.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I have been considering getting one from this company, made of aluminum and about half the weight of the Rampage:

Motorcycle Loader

I saw it in use earlier this year and the guy had said he was real happy with it and had considered a few others before buying.
Rich,
While on our recent trip through many states, one place we stopped and stayed for short while was a place called Elk Horn Ridge RV park. That park is about 17 miles north of Sturgis SD. We were there about one week prior to the monster motorcycle event held annually at that town. In the park, there were no less than 75 - 100 RVs with big trailers, pickups and more, hauling motorcycles in many manors.

I walked around the park and looked at many of them. That one you're thinking about was there. There was only one that I could remember. There were a lot more Rampages and other brands. One of things I personally don't care for is that it attaches to the hitch too. If you want to tow something while carrying the bike, you're out of luck, as far as I can tell.

And, like I stated in my earlier post, I can have mine out of our truck in about 3 minutes, plus or minus. That's without using "Pit crew" tactics. I'm in no hurry, it just gets removed. That aluminum one does look nice. I'm always up for options but, based on my history of carrying our Wing, the Rampage was/is a lot easier to install and remove for when we're not needing it and want the use of our truck.

As for weight, the Rampage hovers around 275#. I didn't look at the specs of that one but, in all reality, it won't make any difference. It's a choice thing though, if you like it, then go for it and have a ball, like we have, in toting the bike where ever you go.
Scott
Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

My Rampage

I have the Rampage bike loader and use it in a 2013 F150 Supercab with the 6’6” bed carrying a 800+ # Yamaha Royal Star. I pull them behind a 2007 Newmar Dutch Star with a 400 hp Cummings. Works fine, lasts a long time. I’m happy with it. It tends to draw some onlookers at the camp ground when loading/unloading the bike.

The pictures are of my initial loading of the bike. The mufflers scraped the first time I tried to load the bike. I fixed that by placing a 2x6x24” against the ramp, after the front wheel was loaded, for the rear wheel to gain some extra height. Mufflers now clear with no issue. Once loaded I tie the bike to the truck at a minimum of 4 locations. The bike becomes part of the truck and is rock solid.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0219.jpg
Views:	2583
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	79837
The back wheel of the bike is right over the tailgate. But the Rampage does not touch the tailgate. In fact the Rampage can be used with or without the tailgate in place. Some of the trucks with the optional tailgate step have an issue, but I understand you can just use spacers when installing the Rampage to clear the tailgate. My F150 sets level with Rampage and bike in the back. Very little or no sag.

Name:	DSCN0225.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	79838
Word of caution: when loading keep a hand on the bike, typically the handle bar. If the truck or loading area is not level and the bike does start to tilt/tip, it can twist the ramp and almost fall. Don’t ask how I know this, just keep a hand on the bike while it is in motion.

Name:	DSCN0440.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	79839

As for installing/removing the Rampage, the shipping label claimed the package was over 400#. I am over 60 and do not need to be horsing 400# around. And I have a spray in liner so sliding it is that much harder, even though, if you disassemble the Rampage, that is take the slide and sled out, the separate pieces are easier to move around, it just takes longer to disassemble and reassemble.

So for me, I bought a small hoist capable of lifting 400# and installed it in my standard height garage making sure to spread the load over several rafters/joists (house above). I then determined the center of gravity of the Rampage and welded some lifting hooks (4) at equal distances for the center. With a simple press of the button I lift the Rampage and then back the truck under it, set it down and bolt it in. Unloading is just as easy. I took a heavy appliance moving dolly from the local Farm Store and stretched it and that is what the Rampage rests on in the corner of the garage.

My only comment is that once the Rampage is in the truck, while you are on your trip, it will more than likely stay in place with the tailgate down, until you return to home base, or decide to muscle it off and on the truck. Not that big an issue, just something to be aware of, specally when parking on a grocery run.

The Rampage is constructed of heavy gage steel parts and should last for many years with no issue. And the winch is a standard 2000# winch, like an ATV winch, that should be easy to find a replacement for, if it is ever needed.

Bottom line, I would recommend it.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to Fire-up and Redman07

Thanks you two for all the info and photos. Fire-up, I would like to see picks and description of your easy in/out set-up for installing/removing the Rampage.

To both: As I am just getting ready to set up my Chevy 2500HD as a toad, which tow bar and braking system to you two use? I'm looking to the Blue Ox Aventa LX (10,000 lb rated), and the SMI Air Force 1. Any tips?

Thanks,
Paul and Susan
2007 Monaco 38PDQ
2004 Chevy 2500
2007 Goldwing
8 years retired CalFire
Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #10

Oops, forgot to say: Lots of good info in here, and a lot of people willing to help.

Ah, the old tow bar and braking system question. There are a lot of discussion/threads about these subjects on iRV2.

From what I have read, as long as the tow bar is: from one of the major manufactures, rated to pull your toad, and installed properly, then one brand is as good as another. It comes down to personnel preference. Lots of people swear by either the Blue Ox or Roadmaster. Sometimes it just boils down to how the base plate looks on the toad or how easy it is to set up. I think you will be satisfied with the Aventa. One thing is that Blue Ox will typically have a booth at the major RV shows and will inspect and tune up your tow bar, normally for free. One suggestion is to keep it covered when not in use and do a visual inspection each time you set it up to tow.

As for the brake system. Yes you want/need one, especially with a 2500 truck and a bike. And there are a lot of good systems out there. There are a lot of loyal fans for the Air Force 1. It is a good system and it was a finalist on my list. But I chose to go with the RVI Brake 2 system. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up and I have the option to move it between toads if the need arises.

Good luck in your travels, I think you are on a good path to safe traveling.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #11

google the triple d lift and loader. I did alot of research about capacity and ease of use. This was the easiest I could find and doesnt require being bolted in to the truck. I carried a gold wing with it. Look it up and watch the videos. No locking unlocking cables levers doodads ; simple easy secure. Tadaa
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #12

That looks nice too

Untitled Document

Does not have price on the site.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
google the triple d lift and loader. I did alot of research about capacity and ease of use. This was the easiest I could find and doesnt require being bolted in to the truck. I carried a gold wing with it. Look it up and watch the videos. No locking unlocking cables levers doodads ; simple easy secure. Tadaa
anotherone,
Well Sir, that's not a bad loader carrier but, when you say "it doesn't require being bolted into the truck", then what's that mechanism that's sticking out of the truck and, there's obviously some sort of winch mechanism that's bolted to the front side of the bed too. This is not to "dis" your loader/carrier, it's only meant to state that there's something that's bolted to that bed, in order for things to be stable while loading and un loading heavy bikes.

And, like the other one I commented on, it looks like it precludes the use of the hitch. The Rampage doesn't do that. The hitch is completely free for use in bicycle carriers or anything that needs it if and when, your bike is in the back of the truck.

As anyone can read and see, there's a few loaders/carriers out there. The smart but, sometimes impractical thing to do is, go to a show or, event that will have multiple loader/carriers already in place and, are willing to demonstrate them. Now, about as close as I've come to anything like that is when we were camped at Elk Horn Ridge RV park.

They all need some form of mechanism to load and un load such heavy-weight bikes. Doing it by hand, is impossible, no matter how much you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. (or how he used to look in his younger years anyway). There are some that are cheap and will use ramps, walls, dirt mounds and anything else that is jury rigged. More power to them. I personally don't want a 900 lb. bike falling on me. I've got too many things in life left to do and, don't want to spend have of it recouping from being crushed by a 900 lb. bike because I was CHEAP.

So, take a look around, ask, if you can find, people who use different models. Again, a demo is worth it's weight in gold, which by the way is waaaay down lately.

Paul,
As for the description of my system of loading and off in and out of the back of the bed, I pretty much described it in my first post. Now, I'm not denying that the Rampage does have some weight, no doubt about that. But, I'm 6' 2" tall, weigh right at 240 and am 62 years old. So, I don't have too much of a problem lifting one end, slightly, and pulling it half way out of the bed.

I designed a bracket that is permenantly bolted to the UNDERSIDE of the front of the bed. It's a good sized, seriously strength bracket. All you see when you look at the front end of the floor of the bed is, two large (1/2" diameter) holes and, two small screw heads, in between those large holes.

On the underside of the bed is a piece of angle iron, 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick x 28" long. It has two 1/2 x 13 nuts welded to it. The two small screws are to hold that bracket to the bottom side of the bed, when the lift is not in place. That bracket, takes all the stress of the pull and lift, when the bike is loading and un loading. There are three, 3/8 x 16 "Thread-serts" in the rear section of the floor of the bed. Those are primarily for stabilization of the rear section of the Rampage. They take almost no stress in loading or un loading the bike.

Based on the physics of the stress of the entire system, you could, in fact not have those in the rear, only the fronts are actually needed for handling the stress.

Now, here's one thing. For some odd reason, when the tail gate of our truck, an '11 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1500 4x4, is lowered to the horizontal position, the horizontal plane of it, is actually higher than the plane of the bed of the truck. So, knowing that, and the fact that the tail gate is not only not used when using the Rampage, we simply remove that tail gate which, takes us right at, 10-15 seconds and, store it at home while we're on our trips with the bike.

Besides, based on the length of the Rampage and, the fact that the bike sticks out a short distance behind the rear edges of the bed, the tail gate could not be put "up" anyways, so why haul it?

So, like stated, if you look at the pictures I posted, that cart that I built was designed so the rails are approximately 1/2" higher than the bed of the truck. So, I remove the 5 bolts, and then, grab that entire Rampage at the end and, lift slightly, and pull the whole thing about 1/2 way out of the bed. At that point, the wife has the cart ready. I lift the end of the Rampage up just high enough to clear the upper part of the rails on that cart and she then rolls that cart into position, to accept the Rampage.

Then, I simply lower the Rampage onto the cart which, like stated, is only a 1/2" higher than the bed. That means it's now not touching the bed at all. So, since the cart has all the weight of the Rampage, I simply roll it away and, park it in the corner of the garage. Done! To me, you can't get a simpler system. I then walk over and retrieve my tail gate and, in about 15 seconds, the tail gate is back on the truck. Done!

Now, there's a fellow on a Goldwing Forum that I've talked with that, unloads his Rampage out of his truck, while they're camping. He simply brings along a set of those "fold up" steel saw horses. When he gets where he's going and knows he'll need the use of his truck for the time he's camping, he un bolts it, and he and another friend simply pull it out to a point and, one takes one end and one takes the other and, they lift it out and put it on the saw horses. So, it can be done, if one has the strength and drive to do it, while on trips. A matter of choice.
Scott

P.S. As for what kind of braking system I use for the toad/truck, I've been using the "Ready Brake" system for quite a few years now and, it seems to work for us. I did the setup on that and, it's completely invisible when not in use. It is also NOT PERMANTLY attached to the brake arm. I designed a system that allows it to be in hiding, until it's needed. Then in a matter of seconds, it's attached to the brake arm and, we're off on our trip.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

yes the triple d uses the hitch to hold the rear and two swing out bars in front to hold the front down. The winch is mounted on the loader ; nothing is bolted to the truck. The battery is charged from your 7 pin hitch connector. No dis here and its not my carrier. I personally dont care what you use and only offered a suggestion. What you do with it is your business. Have fun