Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Heat from Diesel pusher and Toad

What effect does the heat generated at the rear radiator of a diesel pusher have on the Toad. Does all that hot air going through the radiator and engine of the toad cause problems short or long term. Thanks

2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's certainly not a very nice environment back there, but after 50,000 miles of towing, I've not noticed a single indication that the heat is an issue at all.

Now, stone chips, road debris, etc is a different matter.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Towed for 4 years. No heat, stone, or debris damage.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
Towed over 40,000 miles, no damage whatsoever. The only thing I've noted on my walk arounds with the IR Thermometer is the left front tire on the toad runs hotter than the right because of the coach exhaust - but not enough to be an issue.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Yup!! I agree with the above post. But my heat is on my RH side as is my exhaust pipe.
05 Monaco, Signature 525 Hp Cummins
Jeep Grand Cherokee
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
RV cooling air is lower temperature than what exits the Toad's radiator........
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Toad heat

My kids get really hot in the toad when I lock them inside, but the Cummins engine is loud so I can't hear them....just kidding.

Towed a Toad over 75000 mi and no heat affects I can tell. Sometimes the towbar pins and chains are too hot to handle without gloves when I roll into parking after a long hot day on the road.
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
What effect does the heat generated at the rear radiator of a diesel pusher have on the Toad. Does all that hot air going through the radiator and engine of the toad cause problems short or long term. Thanks
Well Sir, to answer your question, I was a bit concerned too when I set our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT and rear radiator, with our Honda Goldwing GL1800 hanging about 2' from the grill at about chest height. It was on a motorcycle lift/carrier that road very close to the back of the coach. During the first few miles of the trip, I stopped once in a while to feel the plastic, rubber and metal parts of the bike. While seriously "warm", they were not too hot to touch. There is also the seat too. That was of major concern. Well, again, warm, but, not in any form of danger of damage.

Well, that was the "cool" part of the travels for that trip. On the Baker grade, on the way to Vegas on CA I-15N, the engine climbed to 213 and a notification was displayed on the dash that I was approaching the heat threshold. So, I was approaching the Hallorin Summit Rd off ramp. I pulled off there and, let the monster cool down some. The outside temperature was 104. So, naturally I was really concerned about the bike and all it's components. I walked around back while the engine was in a cool down stage and felt all the components. Yep, outstandingly hot. EVERYTHING

But, no damage. No melting of any portion of the "Tupperware" plastics which, make up about 75% of what's seen on the bike. The seat cover was really pliable but, that was about it.

So, to answer your question, yep, there's heat back there but, based on my first hand, VERY CLOSE UP experience, it's not intense enough to cause any harm. And, a toad is at least twice as far from the exiting warm/hot air as our Goldwing was. So, that would cut down on the intensity of the heat as it approached the front of the toad.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should not be a problem ... no worse than tailgating in traffic.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses

Thanks everyone for the responses. Its always comforting to get feedback you can depend on from the iRV2 forum members.
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had a problem with mine. Before I bought my TPMS I lost my front tires on my toad. If one goes and you don't know it only takes a minute to lose the other. I noticed my diesel exhaust was facing aft toward the toad. So I bought two tires and a TPMS and found the temps of the left front toad tire was about 20 degrees hotter than the right. So I adjusted the exhaust to point straight down to solve my problem. Now the left runs a little hotter but not like before.

So make sure your exhaust does not point aft.

98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, toad