Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Question Heavy duty tow dollies

I have a 2010 Chev Suburban - it is not able to be towed 4 flat but it can be towed rear wheels on dolly. Problem - I can find the Dolly with a 6000lb capacity but I need an inside width that can handle the 79" Suburban width without the fenders damaging the sides when turning. The Demco handles the weight but have a max of 76" wide. The Master Tow has one that goes to max width of 80 but capacity is only about 4900lbs.

Anyone know of a tow dolly that has the 80" max veh width AND can handle 5700lbs?

My coach can handle it but I can't find it! And I don't want to mess with a 20' car trailer because I belive parking it at RV parks will be a huge problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. It id generally not considered correct to pull a vehicle wit the rear wheels on the dolly. This puts the front wheel geometry running in reverse. The caster and camber is set for the vehicle to move forward, not backward for any great distance. The stability will not be as good as forward. you can see this effect when you back up fast and twitch the steering wheel. It is not as stable.

You may want to look for a smaller front wheel drive that can be towed on a dolly or 4-down.

ken

Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAKESHA View Post
I have a 2010 Chev Suburban - it is not able to be towed 4 flat but it can be towed rear wheels on dolly. Problem - I can find the Dolly with a 6000lb capacity but I need an inside width that can handle the 79" Suburban width without the fenders damaging the sides when turning. The Demco handles the weight but have a max of 76" wide. The Master Tow has one that goes to max width of 80 but capacity is only about 4900lbs.

Anyone know of a tow dolly that has the 80" max veh width AND can handle 5700lbs?

My coach can handle it but I can't find it! And I don't want to mess with a 20' car trailer because I belive parking it at RV parks will be a huge problem.
check the stehl tow dolly. i think it will do the job for you.
my 1.5 year old stehl dolly wore the tires out in 600 miles the first time i used it. i found out that the wheels had 3/4'' toe in.
it cost me $120 to have a truck alignment shop correct this and another $150 for 2 new 8 ply tires in reno.
check the alignment on any dolly you intend to purchase with a tape measure.

STEHL TOW TRAILERS
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

I tow a Chevy Tracker with the rear wheels on the dolly per the owners manual. One thing the manual neglected to mention was the need to put a strap on the steering wheel.
I found that the front tires would not center properly when coming out of a turn, so having operated a wrecker before I ran a rubber bungee cord from the right side of the seat bracket at the floor, around the steering wheel one wrap bottom center to the left side of the seat bracket on the floor. This took care of the problem and allows the front wheels to turn slightly when turning. My dolly is an old U-Haul and does not have a pivot plate so the vehicle stays straight on the dolly, no way can it contact the fenders unless it comes loose.
This may also need a non pivoting dolly.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might be better off looking for a drive shaft disconnect which once installed allows you to uncouple the shaft by pulling a lever. I don't know anything about them other than seeing a discussion about them.

I have a Demco Kar-Kaddy 460SS which can hold 3500 pounds and that may be your front end load weight.

Other than that, you might seriously look into a cheap car to drag around
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #6

2010 chev suburban tow dolly

Cheap car to tow is not an option - usually have 8 people (4 Godkids, 2 Parents, 1 Grand Parent or Nanny and ME) plus team practice gear, when we go. And we go all the time to Softball and Baseball tourneys.

The manual says to lock the steering wheel and leave the car in park when towing rear wheels up. I confirmed with the chevy manuf that there is no milage limit on towing rear wheels up.

I finally found one that has the width and weight capacity and the tires move like car tires so no central pivot or turning fenders. Landgrebe Manufacturing, Indiana.

Landgrebe Manufacturing

I still have some more questions for the company but I think this might be my answer. Will let you know how it goes. Was just lucky to run across a link to this site.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #7

First thing first, It's not advisable to tow rear wheels on a dolly. I'v done it once and will never do it again, way to many problems. Second, REMCO has products to achieve four wheels down, e-mail them and tell them what vehicle you have a state the type of drive train and they'll advise the best scenario for you. I tow a cadillac escalade all wheel drive and they suggested a lube pump. had one installed and has worked great for five years. Third. consider the weight of your vehicle, I tow 6000 lbs. and I wouldn't suggest this much weight to my worst enemy. I installed a air breaking system and that has been the best system, compared to ready break, and buddy bread systems. Good luck and I wish you would consider a lighter vehicle!!!

Tags
heavy duty, suburban, tow dolly