Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #15

We use a 2013 Smart ForTwo that we bought used for 12 grand. Works really well for "two" and we tow it on an Aluma (aluminum) tilt bed trailer. Total weight w/trailer is around 2400 lbs. Tows very easily on our Winnebage Adventured gasser.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
We flat tow a dodge Dakota, use the bed for ATV bikes, canoe. We had towed a wrangler and Saturn all easy to handle.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I'll chime in if not too late. I found my toad on the classifieds on this site, I bought 2007 chevrolet malibu, wasn't sure how committed I was to having a toad until first few trips when we were essentially stranded at campground. Not wanting to go into a new vehicle just to drag around, I read and looked, was not in the mood for standard trans, did not want a dolly, and did not want to stop every what-ever hours and start toad and run for however many minutes, etc. Choices were much narrowed. My Malibu was, again, listed on here and ready to go, prior owner had base plate installed, lights wired and also switch wired to fuse that normally has to be pulled. Probably paid a few dollars more than could have for same model, BUT the mods mentioned above would have run into some significant money. So from day one all I have to do, hitch up the Blue-ox bar, attach safety cables, put car in neutral and go. We have this down to a science as we have had to make several "emergency disconnects" to accomplish u-turns for a variety of reasons, another reason I am not interested in dolly! Takes about 2 minutes. Love it.

Look around at the classified ads on here and see what is available.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at Motorhome magazines Dinghy Towing Guide, it will give you a good idea of what is available for flat towing. It won't list all of them but it will list most of them, and gives a good indication of which manufacturers make towables with automatic transmissions and which ones don't.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #19

Wrangler! Easy towing. High clearance.

Go far from the madding crowd and see more wildlife and scenery than most can even dream of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-353915578.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	607.9 KB
ID:	47807
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1851386632.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	47808   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2501397649.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	582.2 KB
ID:	47809  

Name:	image-2183286901.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	47810   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4056694526.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	47811  

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Go far from the madding crowd and see more wildlife and scenery than most can even dream of.

Attachment 47807
Works for me.............
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #21

Our rv has done 3 trips and cars were rented each time. Total cost was around $450 bucks. That's almost 1/2 the cost of a tow dolly, which we are in the process of looking for now. Since we will be towing a Hyundai elantra and dad will be towing a Mini Cooper, both automatics, the most cost effective solution for us is a tow dolly.

I will also say that on these trips we saw mostly CRVs and Jeeps, and the majority of all toads were 4 down.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Attachment 47807

Ha ha ha ha ,,,,, looky there a bunch of Jeeps Jeepin, Life just doesnt get any better than that, by the way, in the second photo the front of that dark red Jeep is mine !!!! Yeeeeeee Haaaaa

Cheers !!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad