RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Help! First time flat towing my vehicle behind my new MH

I am really nervous and i know i shouldn't be this weekend will be the first time have a new blue ox system with a wireless light bar so the equipment is what it should be but i don't know what to expect when its in tow. can anyone give me some incite to how it will handle? I will be towing it with a Coachman Concord TS300.

Thanks in advance Tommy

tommis519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

What are you towing? What braking system do you have?

My first experience was flat towing a Jeep Wrangler 600 miles with a Ready Brute Elite tow bar. Jeep tracked perfectly. Almost did not know it was behind my MH.

JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Donít sweat it just be careful to not let anyone distract you hooking up and preparing the tow.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #4

The above is GREAT advice. Double check everything is correct. Create a step by step checklist and refer to it. We flat tow with Blue Ox Alladin tow bars and Blue Ox base plate and have never had a problem and it really tracks well behind the rig.

A few tips:
Make sure the tow bars are close to level before towing. Hook up toad to test level and to make sure you have everything correct.

Check lights and all hookups every time you stop for fuel or breaks.

Make sure you understand how your chosen brake system works and how to set sensitivity. You want the brake system to help you stop the rig.

Relax and enjoy the trip. It is easier than towing a trailer.
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Remember, you can not backup while the toad is attached.
Plan ahead.
There is no shame in someone getting out and helping with maneuvering, into a camping spot, around and to a gas pump.
It will all come easier after a while.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #6

I agree with everyoneís input so far!! Itís really not that hard and they track nicely. Just remember itís there.
bobmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Thank you all this has been very informative the only question a friend said that I don’t really need a braking system I will be towing 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee my break system was upgraded during the 4X4 build that UJoint off-road just did for my rig doi need a brake system
Old 10-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #8

If I do need a braking system for the Jeep is one better than another?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommis519 View Post
Thank you all this has been very informative the only question a friend said that I donít really need a braking system I will be towing 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee my break system was upgraded during the 4X4 build that UJoint off-road just did for my rig doi need a brake system
Most states I believe will require an auxiliary braking system. There are many different options and opinions on which type or brand is best.

Most of the removable brake systems work similar to each other. I only have experience with our Brake Buddy Classic 3 which we have had no problems with for 2 years and 7k miles. Another good thing to research to see which unit would fit your needs best.
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #10

As stated. DONT BACK UP! I pulled into a bank parking lot only to realize NO easy way out. I had to get out in sweltering heat and unhook move the car then the MH then re-hook. Not too bad except everyone in the restaurant next door enjoyed the show.
Lesson learned never did that again.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
If I do need a braking system for the Jeep is one better than another?
All the advice you have gotten is good.

I will add:

YOU DO NEED A BREAK SYSTEM!!!!! We have a Simi duo play system in ours and we will be upgrading to an Air Force One when we get our new toad sometime this year

Check turn lights and brake lights when you hook up.

We have towed over 25k miles with out blu-ox with NO problems.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you all this has been very informative the only question a friend said that I donít really need a braking system I will be towing 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee my break system was upgraded during the 4X4 build that UJoint off-road just did for my rig doi need a brake system

That is bad information unless your curb weight is less then 3000 lbs. anything over that like your Jeep a aux brake system is required in all States.
gljurczyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good Luck..
Dont be this guy!

https://youtu.be/kLNzhB6hPz4
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As stated, a lot of states have a minimum weight where they require a vehicle to have brakes. I have a large DP and many small utility trailers and similar weight trailers would be fine behind my coach without a braking system. BUT....when you get into the weight of a Grand Cherokee, you're REALLY taking a chance in an emergency stop situation. The weight of a towed vehicle, like the Jeep, can really add some stopping distance in an emergency. There is also the availability of a break away system, in case the vehicle separates form the coach.

The good news, there are a dozen different brake systems. The bad news, there are a dozen different brake systems. Choosing a braking system is one of the toughest choices you'll have to make. Typically when you buy a product, you have a choice of Good, Better and the Best, but not with brake systems. There are manual, pull cable type, like Ready Brute (least expensive), electric systems with pedal push pistons and air brake systems that work with DP coaches. Lots of choices.....you need one that fits your situation and budget.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing