Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Help me out here....tow bars

Roadmaster's super whiz bang 10K tow bar is around $600 or $700 plus base plate. Blue Ox super whiz bang 10K tow bar is $580 plus base plate.
One may purchase a "straight A frame" tow bar for around $250.
What makes one want to spend triple the price to tow your vehicle? Safety? Durability? Tow bar rating?
Need help. Have tow vehicle want to tow said vehicle.
Chet
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW It has everything to do with the ease of hooking up and unhooking the tow vehicle. The variable length of the arms is a great help. If you are not perfectly aligned, especially by yourself it can be a major problem. Storing the tow bar on the back of the tow vehicle is also a nice feature, especially if you get into a fender bender with the tow vehicle.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many prefer to get a 10k tow bar package for future consideration and extra durability. A 5k aluminum tow bar can run close to the same as a steel 10k bar. I would go with the 10k steel for toughness, and you never know what you may tow someday. I sure would hate to buy it twice for a small cost upfront. Also, I want the peace of mind or self assurance when towing a couple tons around @ 70 mph. Some things are worth the extra and not go cheap.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberVet65 View Post
Need help. Have tow vehicle want to tow said vehicle.
Chet, I chose the Blue Ox towbar because of the twist & lock removable tabs on the base plate. The tabs are the devices that integrate with the towbar and they are quickly removable from the face of the vehicle. I stow all my tow gear in a small bag and it fits in a small cubby hole in the back of my Vue. Not so easy with a Roadmaster setup.

I also like Blue Ox Service because they support many RV Clubs and Rallies that occur across the country including iRV2 when we have asked them.

I personally know Jay Hesse from Blue Ox and he is committed to customer service and producing a product that more than does the job.

About aluminum tow bars - those will run considerably more money than a steel 10K towbar. If you have a lightweight vehicle under 4,000 lbs. for example and you remove your tow bar frequently the aluminum tow bar is a lot lighter and a definite option for you to consider. A 10K bar on a 3700 car for example is great but not necessary. If you are towing a 1/2 ton truck or large SUV I'd say go for it.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #5

On most vehicles, the Blue Ox is a cleaner looking installation. Also, not as much "junk" to remove from the toad.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox

Discounted RV Parts, RV Camper Accessories, Camping Supplies
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
For all your Blue Ox Products, consider if you will our sponsor www.rvupgrades.com who has supported our website for the past 10 years.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
For all your Blue Ox Products, consider if you will our sponsor www.rvupgrades.com who has supported our website for the past 10 years.
Yes I will be glad to support our sponser now that I know.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #9

Chet,

I agree with all of the above. And, whether you want it or not, here's my two cents.

Past experience has taught me that 90% of the time the $100+/hr I pay to get things done to my rig, results in questionable quality. That means 90% of the time, I can do as well, or better. Then, if I screw up, at least I'll know that its not right and get it resolved properly.

I like to know how things work and I like to save a buck where I can, so I decided early on that I wanted to do the installation myself. Since the install shouldn't be more than nuts and bolts and loctite and a bit of drilling, I shouldn't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure it out. So, the decision boiled down to the base plate.

I had no bias towards one manufacturer or another, I just wanted the easiest and most common sense approach. For my toad, that was Blue Ox.

I don't regret my decision for a second. With the tow bar off (takes a minute) and the adapter pins removed (takes 5 sec each, if its dark and you're drunk and someone is distracting you), the adapter all but disappears.

I'm very happy with the performance of the product and the response from the Blue Ox folks while I was installing the adapter.

Steve
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW I agree 100% with SSteve. I have had 2 base plates, they installed the first one, without the required locTight! The second one, CR-V, I installed, with the help of my son, in half the time, and it has been perfect over 3 years. The first one, Tracker, is still working perfectly also after we redid all the bolts with locTight. Exactly what SSteve was talking about happened. The installation should be straight forward. I know you can preview the install with Blue OX, not sure about others. Blue Ox has done a superb job for me. I chose the first installer not Blue Ox!

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #11

I have used the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Tow Bar and base plate for several years. The tow bar is rated at 6000lbs. I have been happy with the performance of this tow bar. I guess the Blue OX is ok too.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The more expensive, motorhome mounted, tow bars are simply much more convenient to hook and unhook. Whether that is worth the extra price is something only you can decide, but I love my Blue Ox Aventa LX. And was happy with the Roadmaster Falcon we had before that.

You can get the top end tow bars at some pretty good discounts, cutting the price premium substantially.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
RB3

Send a message via Skype™ to RB3
As a novice I chose the Night Shift aluminum tow bar with the surge brake. It works well but too bulky and not as easy to handle as my friends Blue Ox. Next time I'll use the Blue Ox. The surge brake has to be adjusted all the time? Maybe due to cable streching, I just don't know.

RB3
2005 Itasca 33V
Workhorse Chassis
Nissan Frontier Toad
RB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster Falcon 2 6,000 lb. pulls my 08 HHR great.

Roadmaster Base Plate

BrakeMaster Connects directly to the motorhome’s air brake system for rock-solid, reliable braking — brake line pressure in the motorhome controls the brakes in the towed vehicle. Weighs in less then 4 lb.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote