Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Question Help!! Need Info from those who tow the Honda Fit

There is a great deal of conflicting and confusing information concerning whether a Honda Fit, manual shift, can be towed four wheels down. The January issue of the FMCA on 2015 towables indicates that the Honda Fit can be towed. In this forum I have read varying information (see the Honda Toast) post, and elsewhere.

Today, I purchased a 2013 Honda Fit Hatchback, manual transmission. I asked the dealer to check the manual and with the service on whether I could tow this four wheels down and was told that I could. From what I have read in the earlier posts that I alluded to I have become gun shy and do not want to be forced buy a tow dolly. So, what is it with the Honda Fit? Is it towable, four wheels down, with a manual transmission or not? I would really appreciate some quick feedback from those of you who have a Honda Fit, particularly, a 2013 hatchback. I was excited to finally get this vehicle today, but after reading some posts here on IRV2, I don't know.

I was about to purchase a 2013 Ford Fiesta Hatchback, automatic transmission. The Fiesta Owners Manual states on page 171 that the automatic can be towed four wheels down. After reading that page, I called a Ford dealership where I have service done on my Ford motorhome. The service manager told me that the automatic transmissions have presented some issues with regard to towing four wheels down. Thus, I decided not to take a chance.

I then found the 2013 Honda Fit Hatchback that I mentioned above. I was fairly satisfied until I started to see all kinds of contradictory information. W Please, anyone out in forum land that can put my anxieties to rest, I would like to know for sure if I need to think of taking the vehicle back. Thanks, as you can tell from the tone of this post I am a bit desperate.

mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
There are two towing sections in your mannual - one is Emergency Towing the other is Recreational Towing (or it could be towing behind a motorhome). With a 2013, you can tow both automatic and manual transmission models behind your motorhome. Slightly different procedures for each but you will see the need to pull a couple of fuses listed but you can avoid that by adding a Toad Charger or equivalent system to keep the battery charged.

I have a 2012 automatic, my friend has a 2012 manual transmission. Both tow great but each one is set up slightly differently.

So go out and get that 2013 Fit manual transmission and get it prepped for towing. You will find that it will tow beautifully.

Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Thank You

Dear Roger and Mary: Luvlabs

Thanks for your reply to my post. I did find a 2013 Honda Online Owners Manual that clearly states that the 2013 Fit, manual shift is towable. The procedure is described on page 159 and 160 of the online manual. I was greatly relieved to find this manual. It was published by the American Honda Motor Co. I previously, when I had a diesel pusher, pulled a 2006 Honda CR-V without incident. Your post helped me to relax a bit and proceed with confidence. I now have a 2013 Winnebago Aspect so the Honda Fit is a good weight choice to tow behind this motorhome. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post.

mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We flat-towed a 2009 Honda Fit Sport with automatic transmission behind our Class C for 8,000 miles this past winter, without problems.
In our case, the flat-towing prep procedure Honda requires is found on pages 238-9 of the owner's manual. You're correct to check the owner's manual for your Fit, though, as changes do occur between model years.
I installed an SMI Stay-in-Play Duo in the Fit, and was very pleased with it. There's not a lot of space under the hood, so I ended up placing the system unit on top of the tow baseplate, behind the front bumper and in front of the radiators. If you go with a Duo and want additional information, let me know.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

honda, tow