Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Unhappy Help! No turn signal or brake lights if RV headlights are on

We have a 2006 Monaco Knight that tows a 2012 Ford Fusion (purchased before Ford decided you could no longer flat tow it - so we are grandfathered in) with a Blue Ox towing system.

For almost 9 months all has worked great - then last evening as we were preparing to take off and testing brake and turn signals after hook up, the taillights on the car stayed lit, but the RV turn signal and brake lights didn't trigger the response on the toad. Tried all we could think of to no avail. Finally dh realized that we had probably never taken off and done the test when it was already dark - he turned off the RV headlights and everything worked fine on both the RV and toad. Headlights on - just taillights again on the car.

Any ideas on where to begin to troubleshoot this one???

Thanks! - Jill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would start by looking for a short in your trailer wiring. I have had similar issues in the past.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #3

Not a mechanic but is sounds as if your plug is wired wrong. your turnsignals are trying to fire the same llight filament as you driving lights. look at the filament that lights up when the cars turnsignal is on vs what light up when the rv turn signal is fired. My guess is that they different and should be the same
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A quick check of the ground would be my first step. A weak or corroded ground between coach and toad can cause a multitude of problems.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

It's possible the wires at the tail lights are reversed. If this is true, when the tail lights (headlights) are turned on, they're so bright you can't see the turn signals flashing? You can confirm my guess by taking a close look at the filaments within the bulbs with the tail lights (head lights) turned on. If what I'm guessing is true, you should be able to see the dimmer of the 2 elements within the bulb flashing. -Al
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had a strange thing happen on my coach. The first thing I noticed was that when the lights were on the side cameras would scroll through all three cameras when I turned on a signal. With the lights off everything was fine. Then I found the right front signal was also not working. I was told I should try adding an extra ground to the circuit. Before I did that I replaced the bulb in the signal and it fixed the problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
It's possible the wires at the tail lights are reversed. If this is true, when the tail lights (headlights) are turned on, they're so bright you can't see the turn signals flashing? You can confirm my guess by taking a close look at the filaments within the bulbs with the tail lights (head lights) turned on. If what I'm guessing is true, you should be able to see the dimmer of the 2 elements within the bulb flashing. -Al
I would check the the connection and wiring of the plugs at the RV/Toad connection point. Do the turn signals work on the toad when the RV is not attached?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landtrv View Post
I would check the the connection and wiring of the plugs at the RV/Toad connection point. Do the turn signals work on the toad when the RV is not attached?
Unless 2 wires were run forward from each of the toad's tail lights (unusual but not impossible, normally there's 3), I can't think of a way you could mess them up/have what she's describing going on, if the problem were at either side's plugs? One tail light maybe, but not both. -Al
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #9

90 % of wiring problems tend to lead to a ground problem. If you have not changed anything i would tend to check that first
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #10

Cool Problem solved!

Really don't totally understand it, as it was dh who fixed it, but ended up being
Two bulbs (one in each taillight) that were loose!
Took forever to get to the bulbs, but once they were in
Nice and tight it works fine both with the headlights on
Or off! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #11

Yup, that would do exactly what I was thinking. They were both inserted into their sockets 180 degrees from where they should have been, which would not allow them to be turned to lock them into position. How/why somebody would do that, on BOTH sides, is a mystery.

Congratulations to hubby for finding that!! Many shops would not have...
-Al

Tags
brake, lights