Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used the same BrakeMaster setup (9160) on two different toweds and two different MH's. Just need to buy either a 2nd towed setup or 2nd MH setup to make the change. To change between toweds I just had to shorten or lengthen an arm and it had spring clips to hold it. Took very little time/effort to change.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will tell you that I am normally against the portable systems you can move from vehicle for basically 3 reasons:
1: "Oh we are only going a few miles.. Just forget it" (Confirmed by the way)
2: Possibility of an installation error (This applies to all systems but on the portables it is EVERY install (every time you tow).
3: Legs.. If it's not secured when driving the towed they can grow legs.

That said. it might be the best system for you due to multiple tow vehicles.

Ready Brake and Blue Ox Auto-Stop (Surge brake systems) look very inviting provided your car's parking brake works normally.. What does the Parking brake have to do with it.. Well, actually nothing, but the cable they use is basically the same as a parking brake cable.. Being from the great salted North I know that if the towed is more than a few years old the parking brake cable is sized up and will not release.. SAME will happen with the surge brake systems if not frequently used or lubricated.. I also know how to lubricate them. And plan on getting one for my current towed.. This is one of two systems I really LIKE. Though most all the following I like.

M&G.. If towing vehicle has air brakes and it will fit towed. Very good choice. but it only fits SOME vehicles..

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.. The more expensive part is installed (one time, and improperly in my first towed costing me a brake job with rotors) and you'd need two.. Thus it likely is not for you, but this system gives you more control over the towed brakes (From the Motor home) than any other system out there.. You can set the towed brakes WITHOUT setting the motor home brakes, you can disable it or adjust the ration all from the MH driver's seat. Invisible to the car driver when driven. It also provides a charge line to the towed battery. (This turned out to be a MAJOR feature for me, but that's another story).

Most all the other systems can be divided into two parts
One is a pedal pusher.. Forget it's name but it uses compressed air to push the pedal.. This might work, You would need to install air lines and a single bracket on both cars You can move the cylinder car to car.

Fully installed "hidden" systems (Most are pedal pullers) Various ones have different features but more or less all the same

Since you have researched all the systems. You can just take this as information.. Most systems are too close to call save for the notes above.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will tell you that I am normally against the portable systems you can move from vehicle for basically 3 reasons:
2: Possibility of an installation error (This applies to all systems but on the portables it is EVERY install (every time you tow).

Ready Brake and Blue Ox Auto-Stop (Surge brake systems) look very inviting provided your car's parking brake works normally.. What does the Parking brake have to do with it.. Well, actually nothing, but the cable they use is basically the same as a parking brake cable.. Being from the great salted North I know that if the towed is more than a few years old the parking brake cable is sized up and will not release.. SAME will happen with the surge brake systems if not frequently used or lubricated.. I also know how to lubricate them. And plan on getting one for my current towed.. This is one of two systems I really LIKE. Though most all the following I like.

M&G.. If towing vehicle has air brakes and it will fit towed. Very good choice. but it only fits SOME vehicles..

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.. The more expensive part is installed (one time, and improperly in my first towed costing me a brake job with rotors) and you'd need two.. Thus it likely is not for you, but this system gives you more control over the towed brakes (From the Motor home) than any other system out there.. You can set the towed brakes WITHOUT setting the motor home brakes, you can disable it or adjust the ration all from the MH driver's seat. Invisible to the car driver when driven. It also provides a charge line to the towed battery. (This turned out to be a MAJOR feature for me, but that's another story).

One is a pedal pusher.. Forget it's name but it uses compressed air to push the pedal.. This might work, You would need to install air lines and a single bracket on both cars You can move the cylinder car to car.

Fully installed "hidden" systems (Most are pedal pullers) Various ones have different features but more or less all the same

Since you have researched all the systems. You can just take this as information.. Most systems are too close to call save for the notes above.
Thank you for your input and thank you to everyone that has replied. While I do not like the portable systems, for now I am going to choose one. I think the RViBrake2 and the Brake Buddy are my two picks with the RViBrake2 being probably my first pick. It really does seem like most systems are too close to call.

So my final setup looks like this: Blue Ox Aventa tow bar with Blue Ox off road shackle adapeters for the Jeep and will need to purchase a base plate for the other vehicle. CoolTech wiring harness and umbilical cord. RViBrake2 aux brake. Probably get the Protect a Tow as well. Thanks again everyone for the help!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #18

Interesting graphic I thought I would share.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #19

I use the SMI air force one. Works great
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #20

Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this type of brake?

Tow Bar Braking Systems for 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Blue Ox BX88100-3050

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p1/R...ke_System.html
Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #21
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, they both seem like a lot of money for a handful of parts, especially when you compare them to real braking systems. Second, they are mechanical and subject to all of the limitations of such, like cable stretch and lack of straight-line operation. There was a reason that cars changed to hydraulic brakes very early in their inception. Finally, I do not see a method for breakaway safety in those systems.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
We have the Ready Brake/Ready Stop system. We even moved it from one toad to another. I agree with the corrosion and rust seizing up the cables. Our brake cable was fine but the stop cable rusted to the point of breaking (or not braking). The solution was just a trip to the hardware store for some stainless cable and lubricate both.

We went with the ReadyBrake system due to it's simplicity. No electronics to worry about and no air lines. Yes I know the OP does not have air brakes.

I think like most threads that ask for an opinion, whatever system the person replying has is the best.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #23

On the Ready Brake system, the best thing you can do is ditch the inner cable supplied and replace with 3/32" stainless cable. Mine has been on my car for almost 3 years with no problems.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #24

Newbie here to RV(toad) world as well. RVi2 brake is really easy to use. Great customer service too..
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
For a portable system the RVi2 is the easiest to work with. I have been using one for 4 years and never had a problem.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #26

Thanks everyone, RViBrake 2 it is!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #27

Quote:

You mentioned you cooked the brakes on your toad with the U.S. Gear system. I'm in the process of cooking my second set of brakes and was basically blaming my wife. A friend was following my Newmar Freightliner and said the brake light was coming on each time the engine brake was activated. Is this how your brakes were destroyed?

Steve

Tags
brake, tow