Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Help setting up 2012 MKZ hibrid as a TOAD

Hi, looking for information on setting up my 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid to tow behind my 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R.

What tow bar are you using? recommending?
What breaking system are you using? recommending?
What is the procedure when setting up the car?
Who did you use? Who would you use again?
Any one use Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia WA?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and help
Evan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doit View Post
Hi, looking for information on setting up my 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid to tow behind my 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R.

What tow bar are you using? recommending?
What breaking system are you using? recommending?
What is the procedure when setting up the car?
Who did you use? Who would you use again?
Any one use Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia WA?

Evan

I setup a 2013 Hybrid MKZ as my toad, and literally sold it after one month to a retiree that just "had to have it". Now I'm back to my trusty Prius and ACME EZ-Tow dolly!

I used all Blue-OX products installed at the now non-existent bankrupt McMahon RV in Westminster, CA. Blue-OX baseplates, Alpha towbar, Karguard II, and their Accessory kit for all the wiring and bulbs to the brake lights). The braking system was a portable patriot. Easy to use and go.

The baseplates are virtually invisible as you can see in the manual.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The MKZ is a great car to tow!

We have ours fitted out with the BrakeBuddy Stealth braking system as it has the capability of keeping the batteries charged while driving and is easy and quick to set-up. Our local CW did the Stealth install and put on the car parts. We use the Road Master Sterling tow bar, again for its ease of use and flexibility.

As for getting the MKZ into Tow once hooked up, you have to turn it on without touching the brake (Accessory Mode), keep hitting OK to get to the Menu on the left side of the Driver's steering control, enter Set-up, tab down to Neutral Tow mode, hold OK until it finishes and then (with your foot on the brake) shift into Neutral. It will then chime and display "Neutral Tow" mode on the display. Then turn off the engine and do your braking and light tests.

We have over 6,000 miles towing without any problems. We did get the Tow Car Shield by Coastline RV to protect the front. Again, it only takes a couple of minutes to install.

Good luck in making decisions and getting setup!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with RoadMaster bar and base. Black Hawk II (10k) non binding. AirFore One braking. Got tired of unreliable elec. aux braking.

All installed by Brazel's. Would not even consider anyplace else. Alan will fix you right up.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Check what Remco recommends, for a start.
Store : Remco
They also suggest looking in your owner's manual.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

It looks like the mods have been busy. When I wrote the post above, it was the only response to one of the other 2 (at least) threads you had started asking the same question.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mich F

Do you have some type of inteest in REMCO?

if you do not have anything of value to add to a question then do not bother ansering.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit View Post
Mich F

Do you have some type of inteest in REMCO?

if you do not have anything of value to add to a question then do not bother ansering.
No, I don't have any interest in Remco. I posted on another thread of yours that had no responses, not realizing until later, you had other threads asking the same question. I thought you might get some information you were looking for on their site. Did you try the link I posted ? It covers everything you were asking about. Sorry I was trying to help, and foolishly thought their web site would help you and was adding something of value to the questions. Nice attitude you have there.
Quote:
Yeah right.

Tags
toad, tow