Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
I don't think it matters as long as it is between the connection in the wiring diagram above labeled "Solder here/tape/all brake lights will work" and the SMI connection to the toad cold brake light line.

Fred
I installed the diode near the rear quarter panel. Check out the pic.
The first pic is where i installed the diode ("cold" brake wire) where all the wires come together going to the front. I am still getting feedback. The monitor light still comes on when the coach brakes are applied and the toad brakes (SMI)are not applied.

Name:   photo 2.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  35.3 KB

Pic 2, I can even disconnect the complete wire harness and still the monitor light come on with the coach brakes are applied and the toad brakes are not applied. Fred I really thought you solved this on your last reply.

Name:   photo 1.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  39.0 KB

I am thinking the problem is in the 7plug - 6plug power cord. Maybe it cannot be hookup to the wire diagram above due to 7 converting to 6 plug with a brake control. Need to keep working on this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
I am thinking the problem is in the 7plug - 6plug power cord. Maybe it cannot be hookup to the wire diagram above due to 7 converting to 6 plug with a brake control. Need to keep working on this.
OR, the diode needs to be in between the toad's 6 pin plug (front) and the "cold" brake wire.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #17

Any chance that diode you installed on the brake wire could be backwards or defective?

Since you wired it with pus-on fittings, what happens if you unplug the wires from the diode, which effectively eliminates the back feed from the rear brake lights to the toad cold brake wire.

If the diode is good and installed in the correct direction, then there is some other source of the back feed.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the toad to look at to see if there is anywhere else the 12 volt from the coach to the toad brake lights could back feed the toad cold brake wire?

Sooner or later we'll figure this out.

Fred
Old 05-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #18

One more question: Is your tail light converter mounted on the motorhome, or is it on the toad?

If on the toad, I assume the 7 pin to 6 pin conversion gives you the 6 pin output as outlined in the diagram and that feeds the tail light converter. This should work.

If on the motorhome, I'm confused because both the 7 pin and the 6 pin connector have "left turn and brake" and "right turn and brake". With your toad having separate turn signals and separate brake lights, you will need ground, 12 volts for running lights, a left turn signal feed, a right turn signal feed, and a brake light feed. You can make this work, but I think you'll have to "repurpose" the "S Blue Brake Controller Output" terminal for one of your feeds to the toad.

Do your turn signals work without turning on the brake lights?

Fred
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #19

Quote:
One more question: Is your tail light converter mounted on the motorhome, or is it on the toad?

If on the toad, I assume the 7 pin to 6 pin conversion gives you the 6 pin output as outlined in the diagram and that feeds the tail light converter. This should work.

If on the motorhome, I'm confused because both the 7 pin and the 6 pin connector have "left turn and brake" and "right turn and brake". With your toad having separate turn signals and separate brake lights, you will need ground, 12 volts for running lights, a left turn signal feed, a right turn signal feed, and a brake light feed. You can make this work, but I think you'll have to "repurpose" the "S Blue Brake Controller Output" terminal for one of your feeds to the toad.

Do your turn signals work without turning on the brake lights?

Fred
The converter is mounter in the toad and yes, my turn signal works without brake lights.

Everthing works right...when you brake, signal or parking light on the coach it show on the toad.

I bought the 7pin to 6pin power cord used, so tomorrow I'm going to go through it and make sure all wires are correct. I know that the coach and toad trailer plugs are wired as in the diagram above.

Thanks for all the help, Fred and sticking with me, I just a DIYer and learning as we go
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #20

Since all lights are working on the toad, I believe the 7 pin to 6 pin cable is working correctly.

I think you missed one of the questions I asked. I'd still like to know what happens when you unplug the wires to the new brake light circuit diode, creating a open circuit so it can not back feed. When unplugged, does it still back feed the toad cold brake light wire? If yes, then we have another source of backfeed in the toad.

Fred
Old 05-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Since all lights are working on the toad, I believe the 7 pin to 6 pin cable is working correctly.

I think you missed one of the questions I asked. I'd still like to know what happens when you unplug the wires to the new brake light circuit diode, creating a open circuit so it can not back feed. When unplugged, does it still back feed the toad cold brake light wire? If yes, then we have another source of backfeed in the toad.

Fred
Yes, still backfeed somewhere. See pic #2. I disconnected the entire wire harness from the rear and monitor light comes on with the coach brake light. Could the backfeed be coming from the front of the toad's plug to the toad cold brake wire? Maybe put a diode in between there?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #22

Wow, what a problem.

I still don't think your 7 pin to 6 pin cable is the problem, but I've been wrong many times before.

I know you believe you unplugged the entire wiring harness to the rear of the CRV, but I'm thinking there could be another wiring harness somewhere (as one possibility).

In the picture above picture 2 and below your statement of
Quote:
I installed the diode near the rear quarter panel. Check out the pic.
The first pic is where i installed the diode ("cold" brake wire) where all the wires come together going to the front. I am still getting feedback.
what happens if you unplug all of the push on connectors to the newly installed diode? Do you still get feedback?

If you disconnect all the wires on that new diode (creating an air gap in the brake wire circuit) and still getting feedback, then we know that the feedback is coming from somewhere else. Unfortunately we don't know where.

Since it's now Monday, it may be worth making a phone call to SMI to see if they have any suggestions, or can send you a wiring diagram for connection that works on your model of the CRV.

One other thought.....if your SMI connection to the cold brake light circuit is near the brake light switch, you could also temporarily cut the cold brake light circuit just downstream of the SMI connection and test to see if you have feedback. If no feedback, another diode on the cold brake light circuit at that position should cure the problem.

I've also thought that maybe the CRV has electronic monitoring to alert you of burned out light bulbs, and that might be complicating this problem.

There's got to be a way to make this work, but we surely haven't found it yet.

Fred
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Wow, what a problem.

One other thought.....if your SMI connection to the cold brake light circuit is near the brake light switch, you could also temporarily cut the cold brake light circuit just downstream of the SMI connection and test to see if you have feedback. If no feedback, another diode on the cold brake light circuit at that position should cure the problem.

I've also thought that maybe the CRV has electronic monitoring to alert you of burned out light bulbs, and that might be complicating this problem.

There's got to be a way to make this work, but we surely haven't found it yet.

Fred
I'm thinking the same think. If the backfeed is not coming from the rear then it has to be the front between the toad's trailer plug and the brake switch. I sure hate to cut this "cold" brake line in so many places.

I have not tried to unplug the diode yet but I did unplug that wire harness which was several inches downstream and still getting backfeed. I called SMI last week and today and now he thinks it within the trailer plug and powercord connections. I will check the connections on the powercord then check backfeed from the brake switch to the trailer plug on the toad.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #24

Hey Fred, HAPPY to report that we figured it out, we did it. Today I was checking thing over and notice something different. When I stepped on the coach brakes the monitor light was half bright and fluctuating. I went back to the 6 pin plug and started tapping it and plug it back in the toad. Bingo, no more monitor light, then I actuated the SMI and monitor light on. I could not believe my eyes. I went to auto store pick up another plug and now works like a charm. The old plug was pretty much rusted out. Can you believe it, on the start of this thread we mention the power cord. It's just one of those things I guess. Thanks again Fred for staying with me and keeping me motivated. Thank you, Dale
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #25

That's great. Since your turn and brake lights were working, I never suspected the 7 to 6 pin cord, but you did early on.

Several years ago, I bought a new cord for the motorhome to toad connection and found several pins on each end with loose connectors.

I enjoyed trying to solve the mystery.

Fred