Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #15

I was looking at the possibility of getting a new to us (used) vehicle to drive around town and flat tow behind the rv. found a nice Saturn wagon for a good price. checked on remco industries website for info if vehicle was capable of being flat towed AND if so, what is needed to safely and properly accomplish it. For an automatic 2002 Saturn wagon, I will need:
Tail light wiring kit $325.00
Blue ox base plate $445.00
Blue ox braking system. $1,395.00
Drop receiver $175.00
Safety cable $100.00
Blue ox tow bar $745.00
Total (not including installation). $3,185.00

Now, I think I will stay with my current tow dolly.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.
Fyi, I'm happy with the dolly. BUT, if money was no issue, I'd tow 4 down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas. We have not towed anything before so we are novices. QUESTION: How do you protect the vehicle from rocks and damage?

Thanks in advance!
I have not had that problem with my wife's Mustang on the trailer. It is a black vehicle and she hand washes it so believe me she would notice the slightest rock chip.. I believe because the car sits higher on the trailer than the flat towed vehicles that it is protected. I do have a mud flap for my MH but have never had it on while towing. If I saw my GT getting rock chips etc I would try to locate an plexi glass shield for the front of my trailer. But as I said, still not a problem.

camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosado View Post
We were going to tow our 2013 CMAX Energi, but found out that there is an issue with draining the battery, the electric vacuum pump brakes and modifications needed to attached the plate. We are now looking for a second car.

DONT give up on the CMAX! It's a great vehicle for towing.

Read these other threads about others which are towing it just fine.

Ford CMAX long distance tow question

Ford Cmax toad with Brake Buddy

Hybrids and EVs toad ?

Good News For Ford TOADs (NTK's available again)

Specifically found this one post which is very relevant to you

Interesting, I an just setting one up as a toad. Mine is an sel and the manual says start it in the morning and let it run one minute. You may have to press the accelerator to get the engine to start according to the manual.
One thing mentioned in forums is the 12v battery running down after a couple of hours. I bought the Toad Charger from lsl and installed it power supplied through the 6 prong connector for the lights and both the circuit breaker and the charger (tiny) under the hood. Ground wire to the same place you see the others near the battery in the c-max. For the power I just opened the cover on the side under the + jump point of the battery and connected it the same place one of the other wires is connect to and the cover back on. Electrical on both vehicles protected that way and the battery stays charged.
Disclaimer (there's always one isn't there) I have not towed it distance, just local to get a feel for it but had no issues with that.
Headed out next month with it in tow for a trip. Also gonna have a clear bra put on it in Houston while we are there .for added protection. I had one on on the Murano we traded in and loved it. That had over 100k miles just driving and it was well protected, even with all the stinking grasshoppers. We live in the country. Figured being towed the C-Max would be a good thing have even though I have a rock guard on the mh.
Wow, long winded there...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #18

we picked up a nice smaller SUV 2006 Saturn vue for 2000$ on ebay and made a drive back from NJ to FL with it so its a nice car and alot seem to like that car for towing

still working on setting it up for towing so can add much else

if its just some thing for towing then giving Saturn is not longer around you can get one at really low cost but its still GM so you can go there for parts
Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2014 CR-V last October because the 2015's are not towable 4 down. In two weeks I am having my local hitch and tow place install the Blue Ox baseplate, primarily because we already have a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar. They will install the diode lighting kit and remove the Invisibrake from from 1994 Accord that we have been towing for 3 years and install it in the CR-V. Our RV is already rigged, so nothing to do there. They also install a charging wire to the CR-V battery.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #20

Our first MH was an 2014 Itasca Navion IQ and we bought a 2013 Kia Soul [big engine, 6 speed stick] to tow four down. We went to a rally and the Blue Ox seminar convinced me to buy the Aventa 10,000 lb tow bar on the way out. Then bought the baseplates [Kia was not bought for a few weeks] and I installed the baseplate myself. Also bought an SMI Stay-In Play Duo for braking on the Kia and it works great. One switch, no fuses to pull, put car in neutral with ACC on and all devices turned off. Also bought a Protect-A-Tow guard custom made for our setup [no extra charge]. I can hook up in about 2 -5 minutes and be on the road. Used tail/brake lights mounted in the taillight housings so no real connection from coach to car lights was made. Fast forward to October 2014 we bought a 2006 DP and used the same setup. Didn't change to an Air force One braking system because what we had worked fine as it was with the new coach. I did have one long mountainous trip that drained the Kia battery, since the aux braking system generates air pressure for the brake pedal as well as vacuum for the brake booster. I added a charge line from the coach to keep the Kia battery charged enroute. All should be well now. As one of the others had said, I did all of the work myself so pricing for install is an unknown.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #21
Commercial Member

We started out towing our Prius on a trailer behind, but found we did not do as much stopping and looking as we would have liked because it is time consuming, and the trailer took up alot of space. We also wanted something to go off road a little with when we hit Quartzsite. Then we tried taking our large 4x4 truck on the trailer. Again, cumbersome to get on and off. Not too much trouble, but just one more thing.
We finally broke down and bought a used 2010 CRV. We looked at the jeeps, but were planning on putting lots of miles on the toad, and wanted better mileage and a comfortable drive. Found a used Blue Ox. Paid for our local RV mechanic to install the proper plate and wire a turn off switch into the dash so the batteries do not wear down. We love this system. We stop where ever we want and it takes 2-3 minutes to unhook and go.
We love getting good mileage 28 MPG average while we are touring around, and being able to go a little off road to explore.
Of course to protect it, we have DuraFlap mud flaps in the wheel wells and our mud flap across the back. No rock dings. It does get dirty when you go through rain, or even heavy fog, then go along a dusty road, but that just takes water to clean.
Any RV mechanic can help you with all of this. Have a great summer.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #22

I see all the post about towing 4 down but have yet to see one on towing with a dolly as I do you can find dollys with brake systems and with our toad being FWD its no problem and to me a bit easier to tow. easy to drive up and tie down plug in lights and go.
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhammer View Post
I see all the post about towing 4 down but have yet to see one on towing with a dolly as I do you can find dollys with brake systems and with our toad being FWD its no problem and to me a bit easier to tow. easy to drive up and tie down plug in lights and go.
Just what I need, another set of tires... lol.

Nothing wrong with a dolly. Just too much work for me. My neighbor here in the park is rewiring his now. Dolly had a blow out on the way here. Took out the fenders on the dolly and all the wiring (somehow). That's not really a reason not to have a dolly - tires are tires and any one of then can go at anytime. I just like the ease of the tow bar. I have a bit of a physical limitation and the Sterling All Terrain is light, easy to hook / unhook and strong enough at 6K lbs capacity. Dollys are especially handy if you have a car that can't be towed 4 down and if you have a beauty queen flat and enclosed trailers are nice too. Whatever works.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #24

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and assistance. I really appreciate the advice. One thing I noted was that most people tow 4 down instead of a dolly. What are the benefits of 4 down or the drawbacks of using a dolly?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #25

Quote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and assistance. I really appreciate the advice. One thing I noted was that most people tow 4 down instead of a dolly. What are the benefits of 4 down or the drawbacks of using a dolly?

Hooking up when towing 4 down can be accomplished in 5 minutes. There is no dolly to have to store or otherwise deal with.

The key is to pick a vehicle with an ez tow routine and a proven tow record.

For a relatively cheap solution, the Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy 4 wheel drives are simple to tow and tough. Mine has been towed since '04. It currently has 140k on the clock and has been towed another 60. No steering wheel lock, no fuse to pull. Put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park and be on your way. This was the setup from the early 2000s until the drive train changed.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Our neighbor bought a dolly because he had a Nissan Titan pickup that could not be towed 4-down. Right after that they left on a trip to Michigan. By the time he got there he was totally sick of messing with the dolly! He traded in the pickup and the dolly for a vehicle he could tow 4-down!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #27

I had a dolly that I used to tow a 2008 Accord. Because of the low ground clearancce of this style vehicle releasing the tie down straps was a pain and a potential knuckle buster. You had to wear gloves. And then you had to store the dolly somewhere at the camp site. Depending on where you unload you also have the issue of how do you get it to the camp site or assigned storage space? We had a trailer hitch on the back of the Accord for this reason. I just find it easier to hook up the F150 for flat towing and go.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #28

Ready Brute Elite tow bar with built in brake system and a Tow Mate wirless light bar,all are much cheaper and simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
I was looking at the possibility of getting a new to us (used) vehicle to drive around town and flat tow behind the rv. found a nice Saturn wagon for a good price. checked on remco industries website for info if vehicle was capable of being flat towed AND if so, what is needed to safely and properly accomplish it. For an automatic 2002 Saturn wagon, I will need:
Tail light wiring kit $325.00
Blue ox base plate $445.00
Blue ox braking system. $1,395.00
Drop receiver $175.00
Safety cable $100.00
Blue ox tow bar $745.00
Total (not including installation). $3,185.00

Now, I think I will stay with my current tow dolly.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.
Fyi, I'm happy with the dolly. BUT, if money was no issue, I'd tow 4 down.

vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, tow, towing