Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Help with choice of Jeep

The dw and I have decided to get a new Jeep Wrangler to tow behind out Hurricane. What we haven't decided on yet is whether to get the 2 door or 4 door.

The dw will drive the jeep as her daily car. She likes the compact size of the 2 door but its limited on the amount people it can hold. The back seat is small and hard to get into

The Unlimited holds 5 people and easy access with 4 doors. But its a little bigger and heavier

We also have to consider the size and weight for it being towed behing the mh

I need opinions and help for spending my money.

Advantages or disadvantages on either model in regards to being towed

Fyi my Hurricane 29m is 18000 gvwr and 23000 gcvw.

The mh weights trip ready at around 17300

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts

Jerry

FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

We have an older 2 door (06) and even though it's an unlimited we want the 4 door. Rear seat access for passengers is only part of it. Having to tilt the front seats just to put groceries in the rear seat area is a real pain. Unless the trails you are planning require a shorter wheelbase then go for the 4 door.

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
laj

i've got a newer 2dr, didn't even consider 4dr. If i'm downtown some where i can turn it around in a 2 ln. rd easy to park. i bought it for off rd exploring, not rock climbing and imo works much better then a 4dr for that. I'm getting ready to turn it for another new one, made a mistake on this one and got an auto. this time getting a manual. wish i hadn't messed that up as i like it better than the new ones. their expensive but to me nothing beats em. jmo
Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Thanks for both of your opinions. THe dw and I were discussing the jeep a little while ago and she wants the 2 door. Automatic for sure. I don't think she has even driven a stick. As far as the groceries and passengers they will have to go in my truck. We have also talked about removing the rear seat so there is storage for her stuff.

Laj,
Why do you want the manual??

We will be using it to explore trails on our trips and to do the routine sightseeing. Most of the time it will be her daily Nordstrom's and shopping mall car.

Jerry
Old 08-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have an older 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door automatic that we tow 4 down very easy to hook up. its great for exploring off road, parking, city driving, wife loves it for those reasons BUT the downside is its hard to get in back seat, storage is limited. We do it like in spite of the downsides.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
laj

the manual holds back better off rd, tows my boat better, if i want i can put the transfer in 4L, trans in 1st, and it will idle uphill. dont like the shift pts. between the torque converter and trans. pulling some of the passes. i even looked at putting a man. in mine. like i said, i like things and features on it better then the new ones.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Weight wise you are looking at approximately 3500-3800lbs on the 2dr Wrangler and 4200-4400 on the four door. There is a little more rear room in the newer JKs than in the TJs, but not a whole lot more. The seat folds down easily or can be removed if it's only two people. Personally, I think the new V6 and the 5 speed auto area great. I can go 4 wheel low, 1st gear and pretty much idle down a steep pass with very little braking (it has auto descent braking, but I didn't like using it). My buddy with his '06 TJ auto has to use the brakes a lot even in 4 low first gear. Whatever you get, go with an '08 or newer because they don't have a steering wheel lock. You can tow without the key in the ignition.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have both a 99TJ and a 06 unlimited (longer 2DR). love them both. I couldn't stand to drive a 4DR wrangler off road.

FYI the Newer JK (07-up) 4DR is overall longer and wider than the up to 04 Grand Cherokees
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Weight wise you are looking at approximately 3500-3800lbs on the 2dr Wrangler and 4200-4400 on the four door. There is a little more rear room in the newer JKs than in the TJs, but not a whole lot more. The seat folds down easily or can be removed if it's only two people. Personally, I think the new V6 and the 5 speed auto area great. I can go 4 wheel low, 1st gear and pretty much idle down a steep pass with very little braking (it has auto descent braking, but I didn't like using it). My buddy with his '06 TJ auto has to use the brakes a lot even in 4 low first gear. Whatever you get, go with an '08 or newer because they don't have a steering wheel lock. You can tow without the key in the ignition.
We will be buying new.

Thanks for info.

Jerry
Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to do any serious offroading, forget the 4 door. We were in Moab with a group of offroaders, one of them had the 4 door version. That one tried to grind of some of the rocks all the time because it's wheelbase is way to long!
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
If you want to do any serious offroading, forget the 4 door. We were in Moab with a group of offroaders, one of them had the 4 door version. That one tried to grind of some of the rocks all the time because it's wheelbase is way to long!
Well,
The 4-door vs 2-door thing has been debated on the old Jeep forums since Christ was pup. We've been to Moab for 14 years in a row for the Easter Jeep safari and, we've seen hundreds of 4-door JKs walk right over many obstacles that the shorter 2-doors have issues with. But, there's always the ones that the 2-doors handle easier than the 4-doors do. There is no "one version beats all" thing. A JKU can "hook" over the top of an obstacle when the regular JK is still climbing and cannot make it. Each obstacle will present different issues for different Jeeps.

In cases where tighter turns are needed or certain predicaments that a longer wheel based unit would have trouble, then yes, the 2-door will prevail. Based on the way the newer JKUs are built and, even with a minor "leveling kit" and some 33s, a JKU will run many, many harder trails without issues, especially if the driver has experience. This is a matter of preference.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote