Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
laj

absolutely, no problem at all. tow mine all over with no issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have a 2005 Jamboree, I want to know if I can tow a Jeep Rubicon with all 4 down if it has an Automatic Trans. I have seen people towing Jeeps and Carson Cargo trailers (Like the trailer we have) with the same year RV as ours and type 26Q Fleetwood or the 26Q Tioga. I have heard conflicting reports. and can't get into the Owners Manual on the internet to be able to read it.
When I posted this earlier in the day I was thinking about my Ford F-250xlt P/U. My RV is a 2005 E-450 Jamboree 26Q not a 1995 like I had said above.When I read it and tried to edit the post it would not let me.
Any Way my Question still is, Can a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon be towed 4 wheels down if it has a automatic Trans mission. Thanks

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
absolutely, no problem at all. tow mine all over with no issues.
Thank You very much.

I guess I have too much Blood in my Caffeine System.
"Semper Fi"
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #18

2012 2dr auto JK. Blue Ox tow bar, Patriot breaks, Currie Enterprise tow plate, Cool-Tech wiring harness, Toad Charger wiring harness and Protect-A-tow. I installed these myself took about 2 days. Have been using them about 3 years/8,000 miles with no problems. Just remember you cant back up with Jeep hooked up.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Go with Mopar wiring harness part number 82211156AB for 2007 - 2015 Jeep Wranglers, it plugs into the jeeps computer with a 7 prong plug to your RV's tow light plug - it controls the tail lights of the jeep
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyClark View Post
Go with Mopar wiring harness part number 82211156AB for 2007 - 2015 Jeep Wranglers, it plugs into the jeeps computer with a 7 prong plug to your RV's tow light plug - it controls the tail lights of the jeep
Thank You for the info.
"Semper Fi"
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: MAKE SURE YOU CAN PUT THAT MANUAL TRANSFER CASE IN NEUTRAL.

There is a recall on many JEEPS and a TSB on the recall, the recall, if not done properly, will prevent you from putting the transfer case in NEUTRAL, the TSB, (Technicial Service Bulletin) tells the dealer how to un-screw what he screwed up.

Next: your choice of tow bar, brakes and lights, Most all companies make systems for jeeps... Some points to consider

If you tow often the Ready Brute tow bar with Ready Brake and the optional break-a-way system is great, Basically it's an all-in-one for towing and brakes, All you need is a light kit and you are good to tow.

Or the Blue Ox equivalent

If you often go many months without towing I would recommend against these systems as the brake cable tends to size up if not used often (like a parking brake cable, in fact it is exactly like a parking brake cable)

Blue Ox, Road Master, Demco, Ready Brute all good tow bars, in fact most all are good tow bars...... Not a lot of difference

Tow bars come in 3 types.. Rigid (A-Frame) NOT my first choice, low cost but you are hooking up a trailer here, need to position EXACTLY when attaching

Telescoping arms that stow on the MOTOR HOME;; MY FIRST CHOICE

Telescoping arms that stow on the TOWED (Ugly)

With these if you are off center a bit, or not "Square" no problem You hook up, one or both arms will not be fully extended, but will extend when you start to move

Brakes other than the surge brake systems already discussed:

Motor home with air brakes: Most jeeps can accept an M&G slave cylinder, this attaches between the brake master cylinder and brake booster.. Works great, simply one hose hook up plus a safety cable (Break-a-way) Runs on motor home compressed air.

US_Gear Unified Brake Decelerator: Electric system provides a vacuum pump to maintain booster vacuum. most control of any system on the market (Control over towed brakes)

Invisible brake, Stay & Play, and a host of other installed systems, All good, and for most folks not much different than the US-Gear (I only used the advanced features of the US gear system like twice in five years, both times when hooking up on a downhill slope).

Brake Buddy box system, Apolo brake, Even brake and other box in the driver's seat.

Advertised as "No installation required" the fact is it means no DEALER installation.. YOU the user have to install EVERY TIME,, this gives ample chance of a mistake (Which can cost you a brake job or worse) or even a "Oh Forget it, we are not going that far" I recommend AGAINST these.

Lights: you have two choices

Diode kit (Easy to install)

Add a lamp system (I kind of like these, But I had to upgrade the ground wire on my trailer light connector when I got one)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=wa8yxm;2213759]First: MAKE SURE YOU CAN PUT THAT MANUAL TRANSFER CASE IN NEUTRAL.

If you often go many months without towing I would recommend against these systems as the brake cable tends to size up if not used often (like a parking brake cable, in fact it is exactly like a parking brake cable)

Not sure what you mean here? If you drive the toad that is hooked up with the ready brake cable, using the toads brakes moves the cable within the brake cable housing. Have not had any problems with a seizing cable on my toads, and I usually only tow them 6 months of the year. Drive them the rest of the year.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #23

I have a 2012 RUBI JK unlimited automatic. As a TOAD it is awesome. Word of caution; it does not always go into neutral on the first try. Make sure you have her running and put the tranny in R and D a couple of times to ensure no movement.

I am with Blue Ox. My dad is from Pender and I like how hidden the baseplate is, so we are Blue Oxers. I use an Even Brake and drilled lights into my tail lights. Did it all myself and all parts from Amazon or Ebay. Total is 375 for baseplate, 400 for Aventa tow bar, and 650 for Even Brake = 1425. I get a lot for my money as it only cost 375 to set up my Jeep GC as well. 2 for 1, really.

ww
Old 09-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Thank You for the info.
Semper Fidelis Marine
Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyClark View Post
Semper Fidelis Marine

"Semper Fi"
"Semper Fi"
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Post One More Question on Jeep Towing

Thanks for the help everyone. Just back from Vacation and I'm back at it again.
Very impressed with the feedback, Thanks everyone!

I have decided to use the Blue Ox Base Plate, The Ready Brute Elite tow bar and the Mopar wiring harness.

The only this I'm not clear on is if the Mopar Harness connects directly to the tail light connector on my 06 Diplomat or do I need another coil cable thingee??
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan1 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Just back from Vacation and I'm back at it again.
Very impressed with the feedback, Thanks everyone!

I have decided to use the Blue Ox Base Plate, The Ready Brute Elite tow bar and the Mopar wiring harness.

The only this I'm not clear on is if the Mopar Harness connects directly to the tail light connector on my 06 Diplomat or do I need another coil cable thingee??
The Mopar harness comes with a cable which connects to your 7 prong RV plug on your 06 Diplomat, and then connects to the mopar wiring harness. The Mopar wiring harness has a plug on the end of it for when it is not in use.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Blue ox base plate in .. Check

Ready Brute Elite tow bar in .. Check

Mopar factor wiring harness K6860326 painfully installed , and Instructions are different from my harness... Check

Lights, Lights, ... No lights on the jeep. DAM IT JIM!'
Anyone having the same issue??
And what is the proper way to set the tow bars after I connect them to the jeep. Do I Pull straight and then lock handles??

Tags
tow, towing