Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #1

Help with Jeep Wrangler Toad

We have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that we have had set up to flat tow. We have been reading the manual and haven't found if we're supposed to:
A) leave the key in the ignition in the on position, or
B) remove the key and keep the steering wheel in the locked position?

This will be a new thing for us to do, so we want to make sure we're doing it right. For some reason, the manual doesn't cover this part of the towing.
Thanks for your help!
kaosinapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

Remove the key. The steering wheel doesn't lock.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

What retired guy said is correct
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
What retired guy said is correct
Tell my wife, please. [emoji4]
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosinapig View Post
We have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that we have had set up to flat tow. We have been reading the manual and haven't found if we're supposed to:
A) leave the key in the ignition in the on position, or
B) remove the key and keep the steering wheel in the locked position?

This will be a new thing for us to do, so we want to make sure we're doing it right. For some reason, the manual doesn't cover this part of the towing.
Thanks for your help!
kaosinapig,
We tow a '15 JKUR and, the owners manual lays out the EXACT steps to be taken, for towing behind a motor home. I'm linking a 2015 Jeep JK owners manual for you here. If you look on page 557, it will list, in numbered order, the steps you need to do, for prep for towing. Now, be patient. The PDF file I'm sending you is just a tad off in page numbers. I'm telling you to go right to 557 to find the numbered list. But, when you get there, the page number will be 555. So, take that for what it's worth. In any case, those are the procedures for towing behind your coach.

They are a bit too redundant for me, we don't so half of what they list simply because we've been doing it now for oh, about 35 - 40 years and, it becomes old hat with us. We still do the procedure right, we just skip about 1/2 of those steps. Anyway, here you are. Good luck.
Scott

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/s...5-wrangler.pdf

By the way, I've wired plenty of Jeeps for toad lights so, I can recommend this unit for yours. It doesn't get any simpler and or, easier to install and use.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56200...=Hopkins+56200
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler and just put the trans in park, transfer case in nuetral and remove the key, the steering does not lock.
fatboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Notwithstanding the fact the Owner's Manual seems to have contradictory instructions I place the Transfer Case in Neutral and place the Transmission in Park and remove the key.

With that predicate, after your Jeep has been disconnected from the Motorhome, has anyone experienced their Jeep transmission seeming "bump" as you come to a stop after being towed for a few thousand miles?

I've owned two Jeeps none of which manifested any kind of "bump" or thumping behavior until they were towed a few months then as you approach a stop light just before coming to a full stop I can feel a rather significant bump.

Looking forward to anyone's' comments or should I consult my physician

Kym
Kymfontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymfontana View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Notwithstanding the fact the Owner's Manual seems to have contradictory instructions I place the Transfer Case in Neutral and place the Transmission in Park and remove the key.

With that predicate, after your Jeep has been disconnected from the Motorhome, has anyone experienced their Jeep transmission seeming "bump" as you come to a stop after being towed for a few thousand miles?

I've owned two Jeeps none of which manifested any kind of "bump" or thumping behavior until they were towed a few months then as you approach a stop light just before coming to a full stop I can feel a rather significant bump.

Kym
Well Kym,
We've owned and towed, 9 different Jeeps to date. (1) CJ-5, (2) CJ-7s, (2) YJs, (3) TJs and finally, our present one, a '15 JKUR. Of those 9, three were stick trannies and the rest, automatics. Now, as all of us that tow Jeeps know, the T/C (Transfer Case) is placed into NEUTRAL during towing. And that is to ensure that no spinning components are in the transmission, during towing. Just about 100% of the time, an automatic is placed in PARK during towing. I personally don't know of any tow instructions, that say otherwise.

So, with all that being said, we have never had any "clunk" or any type, in any of the automatic transmissions, after towing any of our Jeeps, for any distance. Not really sure just what could be causing this issue with yours. It will be interesting to find out.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymfontana View Post

Kym

We bought our 2008 wrangler sahara new and it has had that "bump" from day one. Just does it once in awhile though. We started using it as a toad last year and the "bump" doesn't happen anymore or any fewer times.

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #11

Ours is a 2008 JK Sahara. Supposedly, we do not have steering wheel lock, but after fussing around with the wheel one day, it locked! Soooo, we now tow with a door only keep in the ignition accessory position. We also have a disconnect on the battery as that is required for our year. I think it was somewhere in "08 or "09 that Jeep did away with the steering wheel lock but never updated the manual. This is from the company that takes 58 pages to explain how to take off a soft top, right??
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #12

2008 and 2009 steering wheel locks may or may not be present. Beginning 2010 I have not heard of any having steering wheel locks. Wrangler owners manuals may or may not be accurate regarding steering wheel locks.

When in doubt, remove the key and try to turn the wheel full side to side. If it locks then you have a lock. Be sure to remove the key as even to older Wranglers with steering locks would not lock the steering wheel until you actually removed the key.

Tags
toad