Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Help with setup

So I have a 1997 class a that used to pull a car back in the day and the owner just used the magnetic lights that plug into the standard 4 prong connector. I am going to tow a 2012 Ford edge and have bought the Hopkins wiring kit that I plug into tail lights of the car from etrailer...

Questions:
I found this box under the motorhome and was curious if I needed to eleminate it or leave it there...

And how do I get this metal 6 pin connector apart so I can run a wire from my motorhome batteries to the car battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_113927.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	189772   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_121702.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	189773  

Name:	20180122_114833.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	189774   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_113850.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	189775  

Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

I believe that's an aftermarket module that provides the correct signaling for motorhomes that only have a single 'turn' blink and 'brake' light, with cars that have separate ones.(?)

or maybe I have it backwards... : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That is a 3 wire to 2 wire converter. Your motorhome has separate turn signals from the brake lights (3 wire). Most trailers actuate both turn signal lights simultaneously for the brake lights (2 wire).

To disassemble that trailer light receptacle, remove the two hex screws and pull the receptacle out and then remove the single slotted screw and pull the shell back to expose the wire connectors. Most trailer connectors use the center terminal to connect +12v to the trailer. Make sure you add an inline fuse to the +12v wire.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #4

I think the module can be used either way.

If your MH AND toad have independent brake lights, you don't need the module. You will need a brake light wire in the connector.

In picture #2, you can see a small screw. Remove it and push the connector out the door.

Remember to slip the housing on the wires before connection them up to the pins. Can't count how many times I forgot.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

OK Adam,

Here we go.
I did a lot of tow, trailer wiring and I hope I can help.

First, that RV trailer connector should be 7 wire. If you remove it from it mount and pull it out where you can reach it, there is a screw in the side that will let you pull the terminal block out of the shell. The terminals will either have colors marked (hope) or numbers. Then go to:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-363.html for what they all are supposed to do.

That module is needed if the Edge has "single buld" lights. It does a mix of your coach Brake-Turn light signals to be a single Brake/Turn for a conventional domestic light set.

If the Edge does not flash brake lights for turning you don't need it, but you will also need to change the connector to a J560b. For connections go to:http://https://www.etrailer.com/question-27196.html This is a different connector because the brake and turn are separate.

This really is not rocket surgery and you can find all the information on the internet. If you are going to tie into the vehicle harness for lights, there are adapters made that make this much simpler. I never used them, but I know that they used to exist.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

Ok so here is the brake lights and what I have bought...

Based on your response I am going to eliminate that module and rewire it. This will allow me to run the charging cable for the toad as well during that time.
Why do I need to swap to a 7 pole connector at the hitch on motorhome... The Hopkins tow light kit is a 4 wire that plugs into stock light socket with out splicing. And then I have to wire in a power wire from the battery w/fuse the hitch of motor home. Then it will run through the 6 pole connector to front of the car. Then from front of car the battery with another 10a inline fuse....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180125_152928.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	189973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_152952.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	189974  

Name:	Screenshot_20180125-154330.png