Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HHR Brake Buddy Breakaway

2008 HHR Brake Buddy Breakaway

Just discovered with the # 8 fuse pulled per GMs instructions and the breakaway system activated the HHRs brake lights do not turn on.

Put the fuse back in and the brake lights work with the breakaway activated. However you can not tow with the fuse in per GM's instructions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On mine, when you hit the Brake Buddy test button that pumps the brakes 5 times, only the high mount brake light comes on with each pump. However, with the electrical cord plugged into the motorhome, when you hit the motorhome brake pedal it lights up all the brake lights on the HHR. Is this what your referring to?

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #3

Wow I think You have the right idea as to how it works just the testing wrong. First the top HHr light does not work if pluged in to My M.Home just the tale and signal light's.I think because the fuse is pulled and now the wire from the M.Home is all that is hooked up and so signal is from the M.Home and not the HHR...I pulled mine many miles and never a problem But I only test after a full hook up and that is how it always works.I always check for safety and I also use a brake buddy at all times .Bushman hope this helps ....
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All the lights work fine when plugged into the motorhome.

This is in the remote possibility that the car would break away from the motorhome the brake buddy would stop the car but no brake lights would come on.

Just a observation when I was testing the brake buddy and pulled the breakaway switch.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Pat View Post
All the lights work fine when plugged into the motorhome.

This is in the remote possibility that the car would break away from the motorhome the brake buddy would stop the car but no brake lights would come on.

Just a observation when I was testing the brake buddy and pulled the breakaway switch.
OK I got You now Bob just miss understanded what You were saying.I realy hope I never have to use that set up for stoping the car..lol...John And by the way how was Your summer Bob...We had a good one..John
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John,
We had a good summer also. Good to hear you had a good one.

Almost time to get to work on a endless summer and head south.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #7

On mine, the center mount high stop light comes on with the Even Brake (like a brake buddy), and the tail light stop lamps come on with the coach. I actually like it this way, as I have an outside visual to test that the Even Brake is working properly. When the coach is braking, you have the 2 tail light stop lights on. If the even brake actuates at the same time, then all 3 illuminate, when fuse 8 is off.

Good point about break-away, though. On mine, the top mounted light will come in in that event, but not the tail light stop lamps.

It may be how it's wired into the brake switch on the car, as there are 2 wires to the switch on the petal, which I had to tap 1 of them for the Even Brake installation. Possibly one allows the center stop light to actuate when Fuse 8 is off, and the other may not. In my case, was the luck of the draw.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote