Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How do you protect your HHR while towing. I was thinking about getting the Protect-A-Tow... But I am not sure how it's going to hook up under the front of my HHR.....

Thanks Lee

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
How do you protect your HHR while towing. I was thinking about getting the Protect-A-Tow... But I am not sure how it's going to hook up under the front of my HHR.....

Thanks Lee

Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
paz

We have a Protect-A-Tow for our Saturn Vue. It clips onto eye bolts that you have to install under the front valance of the car and under the rear of the motorhome. There are 2 eye bolts on the car and 4 on the motorhome. You will need to drill holes for the eye bolts. I replaced the standard eye bolts that came with the Protect-A-Tow with stainless steel from Lowe's.

The Protect-A-Tow generally does a good job of deflecting dirt and debris. The only complaint I have is that it is a little short for our tow bar set up. There is a little bit of a gap in front of the car. The reason for this is that I had to use a drop receiver to get the tow bar to the proper height and the drop receiver adds a little extra length between the motorhome and car.

You might also want to check out the Blue Ox underskirt available from RVUpgrades at THIS LINK. The installation is similar to the Protect-A-Tow and the Blue Ox instructions are linked on the RVUpgrades web page. The price is similar to the Protect-A-Tow, but the advantage of the Blue Ox underskirt is that is is available in several widths and lengths.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Paz for the responce... It has some great information.... I am going to see if I can make a mounting bar to use under my HHR.... Once I get the bar built I can order either the protect-a-tow or the Blue Ox underskirt. I also see that Roadmaster makes one... Once I have the bar built I will be able to use any of the three... I just have to crawl under my HHR and see where I can mount the bar... That may be easier said then done
Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
paz

LeeB - Good luck with your underskirt. The mounting bar sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works out and maybe post some pix when it's done.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Bummer..... I have been out looking at the front of my HHR and I can't see anywhere the bar can be mounted.... I am wondering if something can be rigged up to hook-up to the removeable tabs on my Blue Ox..... Hmmmmm
Old 02-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Lee, We use Protect-a-Tow on our PT Cruiser. I drilled holes in the corners of the bumper and them used aluminum bar stock (to fashion a strut) to reinforce those corners. I was able to bolt the aluminum to the bottom of the radiator support. It required some bending to get the angles right on the aluminum strut, but it made the eye bolts rock solid. No flexing and pulling on the plastic bumper.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom and Patty

Yet another great suggestion..... Can I ask are the Eye Hooks installed permanent....
Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Yes they are. Patty didn't like them at first, but it is a tow car. I suppose I could remove them, but we use the PT mostly when we go on trips in the MH. Flat black paint might hide them.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
paz

Lee - Yes, the hooks are permanent. However, if you look at the photo of the Blue Ox underskirt in my link above, you will see that the skirt extends fairly far under the front of the car. This should be the case if you get a skirt that is long enough and the hooks should not be very noticible. This is one reason I suggested looking at the Blue Ox skirt instead of the Protect-A-Tow since ours is a little short and the hooks show. The Blue Ox is available in 3 different lengths.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #11

FYI -- we have an angle bracket with welded links that was bolted under our Element and works quite well.

Blue Ox also sells a bar that can be extended/collapsed that can be bolted underneath -- might hide the view more?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Lee, here are a couple of photos of the mounting points. I made sure to have them far enough back to have coverage of the front inter-cooler.
Look close and you can see the eyelets in the front view, in front of the tires.

You can go to iRV2 Photos (tapd) and left click on the thumb, left click the medium size picture to enlarge.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I can really see them thanks.... So it only connects to 2 spots.... I also see yours is low just like mine is going to be.....

I need to get my HHR to a spot to where I can see underneith better.....

Thanks for the pics
Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
paz

Tom and Patty - Good photos! That is very similar to how the hooks look on our Vue except the they are a little farther forward.

LeeB - As you can see, the hooks are visible, but don't really look that bad. As Tom and Patty said previously, after all it is a toad and it has other evidence of that fact with the tow bar mounting points, electrical plug, etc. As far as resale value, once you remove the hooks, no one will ever know the holes are under there unless they climb under your car.

« G6 SE Toad | towing »