Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

HHR Versus Tahoe/Yukon

Want to trade the wifes 05 Deville for something to tow 4 down been looking at 04 to 07 Tahoe and Yukons...but they all have a bunch of miles on them hard to find one with less then 100,000 most clear up to 140 to 160,000 thats just to many miles for me,now im tryin to get her back on the HHR witch i can find in the 50/60 thou.mileage range and the price i like just trying to get a idea of the average life of one..the wife thinks there a throwaway..we drove one before and liked it..i dont understand how you can tow one with a automatic and no 4wheel nutrale how does it work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Eagle 9452,

As an alternative to the HHR, consider a Cobalt. Same chassis and components with different body. On my second one now. JM2¢...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A fulltimer friend of mine has been towing his 2007 HHR everywhere for the past 7 years and 100k+ miles. Still going strong and he has no plans to trade.

The towability of an automatic transmission drivetrain depends on the transmission design for internal lubrication. If the tranny circulates enough fluid when the wheels turn, it will be OK to tow. If not, the tranny needs to be disconnected from the wheels so it does not turn with them, ergo requiring a 4 WD Neutral or an add-on driveline disconnect device of some kind.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son has a HHR, 2007 year I think, bought new. Has now well over 100k mikes and still going well. Has been a good car for them. For a toad I would definitely consider one.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have an '06 HHR with 185k miles on it, use it every day for commuting, still going strong. Not a TOAD however, but I've been contemplating whether it's worth making it one with so many miles already…
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use to tow a all wheel drive Denali (2004), Remco made a transmission lube pump for it and it was a great tow vehicle.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #7

I have a 2006 HHR that I got for a toad and now drive everyday I never drive my pickup any more.Towing is easy I use blue ox kit hook up put car in N. there is a fuse switch that you use to turn off fuse #12 I think it is got the fuse cutoff switch at camp world made by roadmaster installs on fuse box cover on pass.side just ask for switch for the HHR,light weight and easy to tow with seats down a lot of room for stuff.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle 9452 View Post
Want to trade the wifes 05 Deville for something to tow 4 down been looking at 04 to 07 Tahoe and Yukons...but they all have a bunch of miles on them hard to find one with less then 100,000 most clear up to 140 to 160,000 thats just to many miles for me,now im tryin to get her back on the HHR witch i can find in the 50/60 thou.mileage range and the price i like just trying to get a idea of the average life of one..the wife thinks there a throwaway..we drove one before and liked it..i dont understand how you can tow one with a automatic and no 4wheel nutrale how does it work?
I have a 2010 HHR bought in Sep, 2011, had a Blue Ox base plate installed, moved my US Gear braking system over from my "traded-in" Jeep and off I went. OH, bought the switch for the one fuse you need to pull when towing (switch makes it much easier and is worth the money). I've drug-dragged (whatever) the little beast all over with NO problems. Southern CA to Sault Ste Marie, MI to New Hamphire, down to Key West, well you get the idea. It's been back and forth from the mid-west to southern CA three? times. Never any problems, works good, lasts a long time. About 35-40,000 miles on it, but only 11,000 showing on speedometer. Definitely NOT a throw-away car. Very dependable car (well, except for the recalls )

stik is offline   Reply With Quote