Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
High/Low adapter woes

I thought I was all ready to go. I purchased a new 2016 Chevy Colorado. Ordered the BlueOx baseplate, avail tow bar and tail light kit. Installed everything myself.

Instructions say that the height of the pins on the base plate should be within 3 inches either way of the height to the center of the receiver. Mine has a six inch difference. No problem. I'll get an adapter to raise it.

Ha! Not as easy as I thought. My MH is a FR Berkshire. The hitch receiver sits back 7 and 1/2 inches from the back of the MH. I am finding it very difficult to locate a long enough adapter that will clear the back of the bus. I ordered an NSA adapter, but found it was off by about an inch. I now am waiting on a Blue Ox 8 inch adapter that they claim has the clearance. If this one doesn't work, I'll have to find a fabrication shop to make me one.

I never would have thought that this would be the one part of the setup process that would stop me.

Has anyone else here run into a similar problem ?

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

I think it's a common problem on vehicles like my jeep when you try to get a folding bike rack to clear the rear mounted spare tire. I got a short straight extension but that requires another connection I have to deal with. If I were you I would just have a custom extension made.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What are the heights of the pins on the truck and the receiver on the motorhome (with the suspension aired up)?

If your truck is higher than the receiver (somewhat unusual), you will need an extension to move the drop/rise receiver clear of the motorhome. These are widely available.

If your motorhome is higher (more typical) you will need a drop receiver and no further extensions are needed.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
What are the heights of the pins on the truck and the receiver on the motorhome (with the suspension aired up)?

If your truck is higher than the receiver (somewhat unusual), you will need an extension to move the drop/rise receiver clear of the motorhome. These are widely available.

If your motorhome is higher (more typical) you will need a drop receiver and no further extensions are needed.
I took the measurement with the MH aired up. On the FR forums, I am finding a few other Berkshire owners researching the same issue.

I can't use an extension, because that cuts the weight capacity by 50%.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

I think the drop in weight capacity to 50% with an extension must apply to vertical loads (tongue weight). If you are towing a toad, there is negligible vertical load.
I had problems also when I needed a 6 inch riser adapter. The riser from my old motorhome wouldn't clear the bumper on my new MH. The old riser had a 90 degree rise and I replaced it with a new riser that sloped up at a 45 degree angle so it cleared the MH.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kenny.... It may be fairly common. You've gotten several responses here, and in my case I have an 8 in rise from my MH receiver to the tow bar height. I have the 8 in adapter (received with the coach) but this adapter has an extra long receiver shaft to bring it out to clear the coach bumper. As an earlier poster commented, an extension like this will reduce allowable tongue weight but will have little effect on gross tow weight when you're flat towing.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I am waiting on a Blue Ox (BX88131) that is supposed to have the clearance.

If that does not work, I'm either going to have one fabricated or try a rise with an extension.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Ken

Tags
ada