Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Highway Speeds with Dollys

While doing further research, I discovered that the manual for the KarKaddy SS indicates a MAX SPEED of 55 mph. Is this real in practice? What highway speeds to people typically keep to while towing with a dolly???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
While doing further research, I discovered that the manual for the KarKaddy SS indicates a MAX SPEED of 55 mph. Is this real in practice? What highway speeds to people typically keep to while towing with a dolly???
I often tow at 65- 70 mph for over 20 years now. no issues to date. i think what your towning and with what should be considered.
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
That's the law out here in California. Regardless if the speed limit is 75, it's only 55 when towing. I suspect it's similar in many other states as well. So I keep it under 60 myself. I can only imagine the liability issues that would present themselves in the event of an accident in which it had been determined that someone had been towing a dolly in excess of 55.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

Written by lawyers. That's so you can't pull it at 110 plus and then claim no body said it could not be towed that fast.
Ain't no silly trailer laws here in AZ tow it the speed limit. In most places you can tow the posted limit plus 10.
TombstoneJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mn_Traveler,

I believe your OWNER's MANAUL, most responders missed that point, limits the speed of the dolly due to some limitation such as the wheel bearings or the tires. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tires on the dolly maybe the limiting factor. When we towed a dinghy 4 down or on a dolly, we never ran above 65 mph. That was plenty fast, but we had a lot of people pass us ....must be in a hurry to start having fun.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, I have removed a couple of posts for not being very nice and being off topic. Let's keep to the topic at hand and not personalized our replies, please.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I generally ran at 60-62 mph. Of course when you have to pass someone that does increase for a bit.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on 60-65, usually have the cruise control set around 63, assuming my freeway's higher speed limit.

Just looking at those itty-bitty dolly tires next to my 22.5" RV tires makes you understand how fast they have to turn to keep up... sort of like a greyhound towing a dachshund. Factor in the weight of the car on the dolly spindles and I rather get there safe.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Yah, its 55 when towing anything out here in CA. Also, you are only allowed in the right 2 lanes when towing... seems A LOT of people don't know that!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I run at 62 most of the time and our TowMaster dolly with electric brakes does just fine with our 2005 Volvo V70 wagon.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #12

California has a max highway speed of 55mph for anyone towing anything. It is rather strictly enforeced by CHP especially if you read over 65mph on radar.
I find my personal comfort zone at about 60mph. If you see me on the highway anywhere in the USA I will be traveling in the right hand lane at between 55 and 61mph, and I will take any reasonable pullout even if there is only one car behind me. The trip is part of the vacatiom.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

I have found, in my limited experience, wind and road condition have more influence on my speed than my tow vehicle. BUT, with my states financial situation I have learned to respect the speed limit within our borders. Outside our borders, I also do my best not to exceed the posted limits, especially since I am displaying those darned California plates. Seriously, though, I do not exceed my, or the DW's comfort level while towing, AND I do my best to let faster traffic get by.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
That's the law out here in California. Regardless if the speed limit is 75, it's only 55 when towing. I suspect it's similar in many other states as well. So I keep it under 60 myself. I can only imagine the liability issues that would present themselves in the event of an accident in which it had been determined that someone had been towing a dolly in excess of 55.
In WA anything with a GVWR of 10,000#'s or more OR towing anything must follow the truck speed, which is 60 mph in most areas. Also, in 3 lane areas you can't use the left lane either according to the WA State Patrol, although there is some controversy about that as the DOT has posted only some sections of freeway.
The tires on our KK-460 at ST tires which are only rated for 65 mph anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote