Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:23 AM   #1

Interested in knowing if anyone has ever used a hitch carrier for a motorcycle or scooter and how it effected driving.

I just orderd a double carrier and 2 Tank scooters which will weigh about 480 lbs total, my hitch has a 500 lbs toung weight. Now I'm concerned that may be to heavy since the carrier actually extends out a few feet so the effective weight will most likely equate to more than 500 lbs at the hitch.

Minnesota
Dave Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2005, 03:23 AM   #2

Interested in knowing if anyone has ever used a hitch carrier for a motorcycle or scooter and how it effected driving.

I just orderd a double carrier and 2 Tank scooters which will weigh about 480 lbs total, my hitch has a 500 lbs toung weight. Now I'm concerned that may be to heavy since the carrier actually extends out a few feet so the effective weight will most likely equate to more than 500 lbs at the hitch.

Minnesota
Old 12-11-2005, 05:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be concerned about hanging close to 500# on the hitch. The 480# load is a static load, ie just placed there and it does not move. Now traveling down the road, the scooters will bounce and move up and down and you have a whole flock of dynamic forces that the hitch and frame work is being sujected to. Thes dynamic forces can be several times the static load...can the hitch take that? I do not know and i doubt if Fleetwood does either.

Additionally, I think the added 480# on the rear end will have some effect on how the coach drives.

In short, I would not feel comfotable with that on the back end supported only by a receiver hitch connection.

Ken
Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
I would be concerned about hanging close to 500# on the hitch. The 480# load is a static load, ie just placed there and it does not move. Now traveling down the road, the scooters will bounce and move up and down and you have a whole flock of dynamic forces that the hitch and frame work is being sujected to. Thes dynamic forces can be several times the static load...can the hitch take that? I do not know and i doubt if Fleetwood does either.

Additionally, I think the added 480# on the rear end will have some effect on how the coach drives.

In short, I would not feel comfotable with that on the back end supported only by a receiver hitch connection.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ken!
Unfortunatly I already ordered the scooters and the lift. Do you know if it's possible to put a carrier on the front...so I would have one scooter on each end?

Minnesota
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the front, you will probably have to have a custom bracket welded to suppor the scooter.

Ken
Old 12-11-2005, 09:41 AM   #6

Dave,

Get a hold of me off line, I have a front hitch, had it installed at a hitch place local. Use it only to put pontoon Boat in water.

Bruce

Mailto: RVDriver@PCLink.com
Old 12-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #7

This is reason we pull small truck. Truck weighs 2,800 lb. leaves 1,200 lb for hauling scooter or whatever in bed of truck.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi,
I tried to haul a scooter on the rear, and pull a poontoon. It was to much weight on the rear, the front end would bounce bad when I hit a little dip in the road. I moved the scooter to the front, I had a Reece type, welded under there. Now no problem at all, we tow it from NC to lower fla. every March 850 miles one way,
Jim
jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:33 AM   #9

Hi Dave!
Its me Pete, the guy you bought the Pace from. I hope you are enjoying the coach. Funny I just joined and saw your name and I can ad something positive for you. I had that hitch custom built and the company I used always over build the strength because people are going to overload them so you are not in danger with scooters! They were exceptionally proud of that hitch even took pictures for the family album.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #10

Hi Pete!
What are the odds of you seeing my post!!!!

Did you know there was a re-call on the hitch? Is that why you had a different one put on?

By the way we love the coach so far, I've only put 4000 miles on it so far...we have been holding off driving it because there are 3 Workhorse re-calls and aparently Workhorse can't get the parts to the dealers. Now we have decided to go to FL on the 1st without the repairs since it drives perfect ever since we bought it from you. There is a leak in the radiator that just missed warranty, but you would have had no way of knowing about that.
Have a nice Christmas!

Dave Graves

Minnesota
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #11

I have a Freedom electric three wheel scooter and had a custom bracket support put on the front of my 24 foot 6 inch class C Montara.

I have had no problems with it. The mechanic made it out of a pair of garage ladder supports and scapes.

I had made a 'ramp board' to easily roll the scotter in and out of the MH (if I needed to place it inside) and we used this as the support for the front mount.

I got my scooter at Quartzsite last season, it comes in very handy there and at small towns anywhere.

David/zetron
Old 12-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What are the odds of you seeing my post!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the same thing! Small world.
We just got a 3 acre RV lot on our own (no partners!) Working on getting a new line but will stay used for now.

I changed that hitch because of the long frame extensions I wasn't happy with the looks of the strength from factory - didn't know about the recall but I see why. I showed it to a UHaul hitch center and they wanted nothing to do with it. I had it done at at a custom frame fabrication shop. (AZ frame and fabrication)At that time my toad was a 2500HD 4x4 crew cab. At 5900 lbs I took no chances since I have great connections to make it right. $500 to avoid someone possibly getting hurt or a law suit, hmmmm?? No brainer! Fix it right. (Hope they did)
Happy travels, Look us up if you come thru AZ
Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 AM   #13

Thank's for the info Pete!

Have a nice Christmas!

Dave

Minnesota
Old 12-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #14
PDB

I had a 375lb 250cc scooter that I carried on a hitch on the back of my MH. In addition, I had another receiver welded to the carrier and towed my Grand Cher from the second receiver. I hate to say it, but it didn't work out. It lasted about a year.
The hitch was a solid steel 2" bar (NOT a tube - a solid bar) that fit into the receiver and it ended up getting bent down from the weight of the scoote bouncing on it. I was told the 375lb was an effective 1,000lb vertical weight because of the lever action of the carrier bar length.

It definitely made a difference in the driving of my 40' coach, a difference that I didn't appreciate until I took it off.

I really wish it had worked out. I miss the scooter.

My 2-cent opinion is that your dual scoot setup will not work for long. FWIW
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote