Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #1

Honda Accord and dead battery

Hello everyone! We are new to towing our 2008 Honda Accord and RVi Brake. After 4 days and about 200 mi/day...no problems, except dead battery at our final destination. We charged the battery and had Honda check the charging system. Yesterday, the battery was dead again after only about 80 miles. Any suggestions? (other than go home )

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A dead battery after 80 miles sounds like a big current draw! When you have the steering unlocked, do you have the key in the auxiliary position? Is the radio, A/C, fan, etc. on? Maybe a seat warmer? I've had issues with my diesel beetle, around home I don't drive enough to keep it charged. When I made it my towed, I rewired my 4 pin plug on my RV to a 6 pin so I have a 12v source from the RV chassis batteries. This is hooked to the battery in the car and no more dead battery! Just be sure to include a auto reset circuit breaker in the line.
No need for a 'Toad Charge' and dedicated circuit or wire hookup, it is just one of the wires in my light harness cord. The RV voltage regulator takes care not to overcharge the battery.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #3

Hello and
If your brake system is drawing power from your towed battery, it would be a good idea to hook up a charge wire from the coach to maintain the battery. That being said 80 miles is a real short time to have the battery die.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by batitude1 View Post
Hello everyone! We are new to towing our 2008 Honda Accord and RVi Brake. After 4 days and about 200 mi/day...no problems, except dead battery at our final destination. We charged the battery and had Honda check the charging system. Yesterday, the battery was dead again after only about 80 miles. Any suggestions? (other than go home )
Welcome to IRV2.

If you are careful about not hooking up your power cord until you are ready to take off and think about running your toads engine for 5-10 minutes if and when you stop for lunch during an 8 hour tow, you should be okay. As previously mentioned, make sure all accessories are off when towing.

Come again and do post often!

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Experiment with the key, I found that I can turn the VW key to aux, then back to off and the steering remains unlocked with no power draw from the car. When the towed brakes are applied, are the car brake lights being used or a separate light system from the RV? Also check out the RVi brake. Is it operating properly? Maybe the compressor continues to run even when not needed. Perhaps put someone in the car and pull it around a parking lot applying brakes a couple of times to see if it goes off between use. I tested my Brake pro by putting it on the passenger side floor while driving to see what sensitivity setting seemed best. I don't know if you can do that with the RVi since it has the auto positioning function and might need a brake pedal to work against.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by batitude1 View Post
I agree with adding a charge line to the toad.
Maybe your Accord has not been driven enough to fully charge the battery back up yet. I would think it would need at least a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to get it back to 100%.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Q. Will the RVibrake wear down my car battery?

A. No. You may tow for 3-4 days without having to worry about the battery in the towed vehicle. The RVibrake actually monitors the voltage coming from the battery to let you know if the battery is getting low.

Did it let you know the battery was getting low?

http://www.rvibrake.com/FAQ-s/1832.htm
Old 08-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even though our '05 Odyssey isn't supposed to be towed four down (same for the '08 Accord) we have done it.
New battery a week before we left, dead battery in two days even though I ran the engine as stated for the CR-V. On the way back, same thing again.

Went back to towing on the dolly as the CA roads ruined the alignment, more rock chips and dead battery. Went back to the dolly now, just works better for us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer
I agree with adding a charge line to the toad.
Maybe your Accord has not been driven enough to fully charge the battery back up yet. I would think it would need at least a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to get it back to 100%.
Added a charge line to our Honda FIT, works perfectly, other than the time a wire came loose in the curly cable. We were going a long distance and didn't unhitch for 3 days. Flat battery. I installed a diode on the charge wire and ran a cable to a green led under the dash. Now we have a positive (no pun intended) indication that the charge is getting through.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #10

My Southwind has a six wire connector. The toad connector is four wire. Can you tell me more about your Honda Fit charge line wire routing and how it is connected to the toad?
Thanks much!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
The center post on a 6 wire connector is a 12v + wire. In my hook up, like yours, I had a 4 wire connection at the front of my towed. I took another 4 wire plug that fit in the towed's plug, then wired that to a 6 wire plug I mounted in a bracket under the front bumper. Since I didn't need the center 12v + for my light set up, I wired it to my towed battery. Back under the RV, I used a 12 awg wire to hook up the chassis batteries to the center post of the connector on the RV. I also installed an auto reset circuit breaker in the wire near the RV batteries, another near the battery in the towed. I did it this way so that the towed can still be wired to a 4 wire connector if needed in the future. I also hard wired the ground from the towed 6 pin to the body since the ground in the 4 wire only went to the lights, (separate, added lights in tail light assembly) not the body.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #12

Thanks so much for the detailed information. I woulld like to set up my hookup this way but will need to wait until back home. In the meantime, we returned the 80 miles without the RVi brake on and no dead battery so It may be the problem. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #13

There was no "low battery warning". The only clue was the audible tone and the words: "Dead Battery" on the readout. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #14

There was no warning. The unit just reported: "Dead Battery". I see they now offer a direct connect kit. I'm powering the RVi brake from a seperate sorce now, but not sure that it is receiving braking status from the Motorhome. Thanks for your comments.

Tags
battery