Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #15

We have a 2012 CR-V AWD that we tow 4 down. At first I was pulling the fuse, glued a little piece of plastic on the end of the fuse to make a handle, made it easy to find, get hold of an pull or replace.
Later I made a fuse switch to put on the dash. Much easier.
Recently while watching a vide on tow dollies, they said just turn ignition switch "on" to unlock the steering column, then turn the switch off, do not remove the key, the steering column will not lock as long as the key is not removed. That's the same thing I do everyday, just run it in the garage & shut it off, never remove the key.
Don't need to leave the key "on" and remove a fuse to tow, just leave key in ignition in "off" position and don't remove, the steering column doesn't lock.
When you remove the key, you can hear the lock activate just as the last little bit of the key comes out of the lock.
Just as extra precaution, any time we stop, gas or whatever, I start the Honda, go through the gears, bleed the vacuum off the brakes and continue on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We are on CRV number two. As previously stated, it has all the normal Honda qualities, plus the ability to tow four down (14 year model and earlier). We've had no problems. I wrote a letter to Honda corp, regarding their transmission change which resulted in no longer being able to tow it four down.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
At the risk of repetitiveness...

1. You need a 2014 or earlier CRV if you want to flat tow. 2015 and later AWD must be trailered, Front WD can be dolly towed.
2. Don't dolly tow an AWD model.
3. Easy pre-departure set up procedure is good for 8 hours of combined total tow and non-towing time. (I prefer to limit to 6 hours and then running the set up.)
4. Transmission fluid must be changed out every 2 years or 30,000 miles.
5. The CRV battery SUCKS! You can upgrade it to the same battery that goes into an Odyssey without any problems. Worth it for all reasons not even towing related.
6. Depending on year, 1 or 2 fuses to "pull". I use a fuse cut off switch. If you opt to use a battery charge line from the coach, then pulling fuses not needed.
Really, this is it. Don't know how many hours towing to kill the battery but gave up on that and pull the fuse now. Going to install a fuse switch but pulling is not a big deal. Towing a CRV ten years now.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2013 CRV AWD!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #19

We had a dead battery the first time we towed the CRV. Didn't know about the battery situation and getting a bigger battery so we replaced it with the same size battery(battery was 3 years old, thought it did a natural death). After the new battery died we did some research and added Fusemaster. Solved all out problems.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #20
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I removed the battery and installed a base plate (plastic) from an Odasy and dropped in a w24 battery - no more problems.
I see that the 2016 now has a W24 battery as standard. I also have a power wire running back from the coach when towing. The new battery made all the difference.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
I removed the battery and installed a base plate (plastic) from an Odasy and dropped in a w24 battery - no more problems.
I see that the 2016 now has a W24 battery as standard. I also have a power wire running back from the coach when towing. The new battery made all the difference.
Items 4 & 5 in the attached link?

BATTERY for 2013 Honda ODYSSEY
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #22
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
No it should be flat and only the bottom piece. Try a newer model. I don't remember which one the parts man gave me.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #23

We have a 2007 CR-V that has followed us all over the county. it is, by the way, our 13th Honda. I picked up 12 volts off of the motorhome an run it the toad battery. Dead battery is never an issue. I drain the transmission and ad the same amount of Honda trans. fluid back in. This toad drives wonderful and is very dependable.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #24
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Why would you drain the transmission? I never do. I just start the motor and run it through the gears as recommended - then shut it down.
The new 2015 and up have w24 batteries and rubber band transmissions - fix one thing and screw up another.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Why would you drain the transmission? I never do. ...
The owner's manual specifically states that if you tow it, change tranny fluid every 2 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.

I realize you are referring to a previous post. Perhaps they meant to say they followed tranny fluid change requirements but just said it wrong?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I hope so. I remember flying up North and we had to drain the engine oil and keep it warm beside the fire so that we could pour it back into the motor the next time we wanted to start the engine otherwise the oil would turn to sludge and the engine wouldn't turn over pre block heater days. I was hoping he wasn't referring to the same thing for his Honda.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Love our '14 CR-V. Installed the base plate and fuse bypass myself, along with the SMI breaking system. So glad I traded when I did. Also, it is soooo very good not to be using a tow dolly any more. And my timing for the switch was perfect. When I traded I didn't know the '15's couldn't be towed at all.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Items 4 & 5 in the attached link?

BATTERY for 2013 Honda ODYSSEY
I think those might be the right parts. Check out this thread:

Dead Battery on Honda CRV

Tags
honda