Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
No it should be flat and only the bottom piece. Try a newer model. I don't remember which one the parts man gave me.
These two parts and a Group 24 battery with at least 900 CCA will solve all your battery issues. No need to pull fuses. If you have a charge line, you will be good tow for a couple of days without disconnecting. I have gone two days and only run the engine for a few minutes in the AM to lube the transmission.

If you live in a cold climate, the battery will also pay for itself in easy cold starts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	124159  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I see that a bigger battery is being recommended to solve the discharge while towing problem. I added the fuse disconnect switch to my CR-V and I have never had a dead battery at the end of a long day of towing.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
These two parts and a Group 24 battery with at least 900 CCA will solve all your battery issues. No need to pull fuses. If you have a charge line, you will be good tow for a couple of days without disconnecting. I have gone two days and only run the engine for a few minutes in the AM to lube the transmission.

If you live in a cold climate, the battery will also pay for itself in easy cold starts.

X2

Even if I wasn't towing I would suggest this because the CRV stock battery sucks.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I see that a bigger battery is being recommended to solve the discharge while towing problem. I added the fuse disconnect switch to my CR-V and I have never had a dead battery at the end of a long day of towing.

Rick Y
You will, give it time. But don't mess with it when you do. Replace the battery.
If you look at the 2015 and newer, you will see they use the Group 24 battery as standard.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Rick Y
To be honest, we didn't go with the bigger battery because of towing. We have a fuse disconnect switch and it works just fine. We made the change because of other reasons. The last straw was my wife was doing stuff with the car and had the radio on for a bit over a half hour and had the dome lights turned off. When she was done she went to start the car and CLICK CLICK CLICK!

This was with the ignition switch in the ACC position and she made sure the AC system was totally off just to be sure.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
You will, give it time. But don't mess with it when you do. Replace the battery.
If you look at the 2015 and newer, you will see they use the Group 24 battery as standard.
Can't tow a 2015. Completely different animal with bigger power needs.

All batteries die over time. Towing with the fuse off is a good fix. It kills most of the heavy drains like blue tooth and GPS options.

If you feel you need to upgrade your battery, then go for it. It is your car and your buck. You need to feel security when towing and this is your method. No problem.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #35
DWB

Spartan Chassis
I use a battery booster pack to power my Blue Ox Patriot toad brake rather than the CRV's battery which lightens the load on the car battery. This along with running the toad at the start and end of each travel day has resulted in no dead battery issues.

I won't mention the time I left the CRV's park brake on......very expensive.
Dave B
Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We tow the Honda Pilot, which I believe is the same thing as the CRV on a slightly larger scale.

The factory battery was junk. It would only hold a charge for two or three hours when towing. I replaced it with a heavy duty battery and this has never been a problem since.

I'm a little fanatical about looking after the transmission. We stop every two or three hours to stretch, bathroom, etc. When we do, I start the toad, put the transmission through it's paces, and let the engine run a few minutes to top up the battery charge.

Never had a problem in 60,000 km of towing!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
We tow the Honda Pilot, which I believe is the same thing as the CRV on a slightly larger scale.

The factory battery was junk. It would only hold a charge for two or three hours when towing. I replaced it with a heavy duty battery and this has never been a problem since.

I'm a little fanatical about looking after the transmission. We stop every two or three hours to stretch, bathroom, etc. When we do, I start the toad, put the transmission through it's paces, and let the engine run a few minutes to top up the battery charge.

Jim
One thing I forgot to mention is that I don't use the car battery for breaking. The SMI AF1 is a air breaking system fed from the coach. Only the break lights work from the car battery. That could be the difference.

Rick Y
Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that I don't use the car battery for breaking. The SMI AF1 is a air breaking system fed from the coach. Only the break lights work from the car battery. That could be the difference.

Rick Y
Just to clarify what you said...

The CRV's brakes light up under normal conditions when ever you press the brake. It doesn't matter if key is on or off. Without any connection between the car and coach that would be true for any aux brake system tha depresses the brake. If your toad's lighting system uses a brake light bypass switch then your brake lights are powered by the coach.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Just to clarify what you said...

The CRV's brakes light up under normal conditions when ever you press the brake. It doesn't matter if key is on or off. Without any connection between the car and coach that would be true for any aux brake system tha depresses the brake. If your toad's lighting system uses a brake light bypass switch then your brake lights are powered by the coach.
Good point but not in this case. I wired diodes to the rear directionals and use the coach turn signal power to run them. The SMI is a air piston mounted permanently to the break peddle shaft. When I step on the coach break the car breaks proportionately and the break lights come on. This is a great system and very easy to connect when getting ready to tow. The install was not bad. Did it myself.

Rick Y
Old 04-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #40

Quote:

Did this mod today on the wife's CRV. Total cost for the battery box and group 24F battery was under $100. Stock battery is around $120. I did make a new ground cable as the original was just a bit short to reach the post. Had the parts for that in the garage so zero $ to me. I'm sure you can probably buy one at most auto parts stores. Stock cable is ~19". I made mine 24". Awesome mod. Thanks to all that posted up part #'s etc.
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I have been towing my 2014 CR-V four down for 2 years. I using the Blue Ox towing system and the M&G air brake system. After a long discussion with my installer about the pros and cons of a fuse disconnect (which as I understand it does not disconnect all the loads) I went with a charging line. So far I've not had a dead battery problem (or any other type of problem). The manual tells you to not tow over 65 mph, which is not an issue for me, but there are some threads talking about burned up transmissions by towing over 65 moh on a sustained basis. I really like this vehicle.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post

Jim
Actually the Pilot is more akin to our Ody than the CR-V. Same trans and 3.5 L engine. I installed a charge line some years ago and have had no troubles since.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda