Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #43

Whelp, towed my 07 CRV for the first time today. Started it up after about and hour and a half and let it run for a few minutes. Continued on and got to the RV park about 3 1/2 hours later and battery was dead.

Guess I'll pull the fuse going back, and do the big battery change out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought my CR-V new 12,000 miles ago. When I change locations my day's drives are usually over 8 hours long. I only use the fuse disconnect switch and I have never had a dead battery issue. Often I am on the road for a couple of days, doing the Walmart, Flying J, or rest area overnight routine. In the morning I start the car, run it through the gears and set it for towing. Off we go to the next overnight stop or destination. Still the battery is good at the end of day 2 or 3.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I bought my CR-V new 12,000 miles ago. When I change locations my day's drives are usually over 8 hours long. I only use the fuse disconnect switch and I have never had a dead battery issue. ...
That is my experience also. However I have done the battery upgrade not because of towing but because the stock battery was barely sufficient for general use. It provides no room for doing anything else like working on the car with the radio on and then finding after 45 minutes I couldn't start the car.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
That is my experience also. However I have done the battery upgrade not because of towing but because the stock battery was barely sufficient for general use. It provides no room for doing anything else like working on the car with the radio on and then finding after 45 minutes I couldn't start the car.
Not much on the radio these days for this old man. lol Never have run the battery down for any reason. Besides, why work on what isn't broken?? Great and reliable car. I did dump the original (junk) tires and put Toyo's on it. No battery involved. Love the Toyo's.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #47

Where's a good place to get a reasonably priced fuse cutoff switch?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #48

F4Gary - Blue Ox has them, or google Honda fuse switch and you'll see several sources / price points.

End of last year... Honda had a recall to upgrade the SOFTWARE for the battery charging system for our 2012 CR-V. Don't know if other CR-V model years were included.

Adding the fuse switch (or pulling the fuse) is especially critical to those with a navigation system. The navigation system constant searching WILL kill your battery after a few hours if not disconnected. SMI-AFO system on our 2nd CR-V and we never needed a separate charging source for either providing we use our fuse switch. Forget the switch... get the jumpers ready!

cheers,
Joopy
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #49

That helps explain it, we have a Navi model CRV.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
F4Gary - Blue Ox has them, or google Honda fuse switch and you'll see several sources / price points.

End of last year... Honda had a recall to upgrade the SOFTWARE for the battery charging system for our 2012 CR-V. Don't know if other CR-V model years were included.

Adding the fuse switch (or pulling the fuse) is especially critical to those with a navigation system. The navigation system constant searching WILL kill your battery after a few hours if not disconnected. SMI-AFO system on our 2nd CR-V and we never needed a separate charging source for either providing we use our fuse switch. Forget the switch... get the jumpers ready!

cheers,
Joopy
I had my 2013 in to Honda 3 times for dead battery problems. They did the software update, tested the charging system and load tested the battery. All checked A OK. Stopped for fuel one foggy day and forgot to shut off the headlights. Guess what, dead battery.

That was the last straw for me. I purchased the two piece plastic battery tray for a 13 Odessy and a group 24, 950 CCA battery. The OEM battery is something like 400 CCA. The tray and larger battery are drop in. No mods required.

No more dead battery. I have left the ign on while towing for about 5 hours during which time the daytime running lights are on. I do not pull or disconnect any fuses. I do have a charge line from the MH to the CRV.

My advice is, don't bother with all the fuse pulling, switches etc etc. Just spend $150 on a new Real Battery and enjoy your CRV without swollen blood vessels due to dead batteries.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #51

Here is a pic of the new battery installed. My first post should read 850 CCA not 950.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	126239  
Old 05-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
If you turn off your navigation system and the screen goes dark are you saying it's still searching? There is a button to turn off the navigation right under the screen on the left-hand side. Once you press that button, up on the navigation touch screen comes the choices: OFF-NIGHT-DAY.

Will be doing our first long tow in several weeks and I did install a charge line just in case.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
If you turn off your navigation system and the screen goes dark are you saying it's still searching? There is a button to turn off the navigation right under the screen on the left-hand side. Once you press that button, up on the navigation touch screen comes the choices: OFF-NIGHT-DAY.

Will be doing our first long tow in several weeks and I did install a charge line just in case.
My 13 does not have a button to turn off the Nav. It only turns off the Audio and the Nav screen stays on. For me, with the larger battery, it's a Non Issue.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I towed my 99 C-rv from 1999 to 2011 about 50k miles, never had any problem. Not much electronics, no need to discon battery. Max tow speed listed as "do not exceed speed limit". Reasonably light weight easy to tow.

Glenn
Old 05-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post

cheers,
Joopy
Words of wisdom as always, Joppy. To manually remove and replace the fuse is a plan for a dwarf. After he gets to it his name will be Grumpy. It is in the worst location. I built my own cutoff circuit. There is a fuse socket extender available: Robot Check.

I could not find a single item purchase for your fuse. But, with this, a switch, fuse holder, correct fuse for the holder and a few connectors you can build the circuit fairly inexpensive. Mount the switch where you like. Mine has a pilot light to indicate it is on. Once installed it is a real battery saver. The Bluetooth and GPS are powered down completely thus saving the battery.

Funny story. I was following my wife in the CR-V with the coach. A call came into my phone. My Bluetooth connected to the car and I could not talk to the caller though I could hear them. It took us a while to realize what had happened.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 05-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Roadmaster Fusemaster.
Pricy but I have it and it works. No dead battery after install on 2014 CR-V with GPS.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/ac...usemaster.html

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda