Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My 13 does not have a button to turn off the Nav. It only turns off the Audio and the Nav screen stays on. For me, with the larger battery, it's a Non Issue.
Yes, but you also have a charging wire.
__________________

__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Cover Dog's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My 13 does not have a button to turn off the Nav. It only turns off the Audio and the Nav screen stays on.
Directly above the button that turns the radio on/off is a button with a sun & moon on it. If you press that it takes you to the touch screen and there you can turn off the navigation. I looked up a 2013 CR-V and it shows the same navigation screen as in my 2014.

Let me know if that is the same on your 2013.
__________________

__________________
Bill, Maura & Rosie the rescued "Boston Terrier"
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q-26K Chassis. TST 507 x10
2014 CR-V AWD w/Blue Ox & NSA Ready Brute Elite
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Directly above the button that turns the radio on/off is a button with a sun & moon on it. If you press that it takes you to the touch screen and there you can turn off the navigation. I looked up a 2013 CR-V and it shows the same navigation screen as in my 2014.

Let me know if that is the same on your 2013.
I don't think the 2007-2011 have that feature.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Algonquin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 209
I have a new to me 2014 CR-V and I am still trying to learn how to operate all the electronics. I think this "Brightness" button on late model CR-Vs only turns off the navigation screen. The nav is still drawing power as it is constantly monitoring the GPS satellites and doing who knows what else.
It is best to get a fuse switch and/or battery charging wire.
__________________
2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y
2014 Honda CR-V
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 947
I bit the bullet and ordered a switch off Amazon. $59.

I'll do the battery when we get home. Maybe I can fit the CRV battery in my lawn tractor.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #62
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,313
Thanks guys.....I just bought a nice 2013 CRV for towing yesterday. I'm tired of towing my truck when I don't need it. I figured I would search the CRV posts for any useful information and this one was perfect. I know what equipment I need, but wanted to know the little intricacies like the fuse and small battery issue.

I just had right hand carpal tunnel surgery today, so I've been on an ordering spree while laid up in my chair for a few days.

I ordered the following:

- Roadmaster Base plates to match my Roadmaster tow bar.
- Diodes for tail lights (preferred system for me)
- Roadmaster Fusemaster switch fuse - pricey, but a nice setup
- Odyssey battery box
- Will install Group 24 battery
- Wiring for taillights
- Roadmaster Umbilical kit with 7 pin and 6 pin connectors (don't want to use my truck umbilical with my SMI air hose and break away cable attached)
- Laminated card with towing procedures

Did I miss anything? I may include a charge line since I'm installing a new umbilical from scratch (have diodes and fuses),just not connect it unless I have issues.

I've always been big on braking systems and run the SMI Air Force One on my truck. With the Honda, I may forgo brakes unless SMI will sell just the under hood box at a reasonable price since I'm keeping the unit on my truck. My Dutch Star is a 40' with a tag and engine brake. I have brakes on all three axles and disc on the front. If I still had my Diplomat, I would be putting brakes on the CRV without issue. I need to get some clarification on the California brake rules. Reading through the section, it says you need to be able to stop the trailer within 50' at 20 mph, but doesn't specifically discuss toads.
__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
The battery in our '05 Odyssey will go dead after a long day of towing. There is no power used from the battery to power the brake unit and we already have the larger battery.
I solved the problem by running a charge line from the MH to the Ody several years ago and have had no problems since.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #64
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,313
Other than releasing the steering wheel lock, is there a reason to turn the key to ACC when towing. Has anyone disabled the steering wheel lock?

In one of the above posts, it was stated that if the key is left in the ignition, the steering wheel won't lock. Anyone using the Valet key for this.
__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Other than releasing the steering wheel lock, is there a reason to turn the key to ACC when towing. Has anyone disabled the steering wheel lock?

In one of the above posts, it was stated that if the key is left in the ignition, the steering wheel won't lock. Anyone using the Valet key for this.
Don:
I had Honda take a "practice" key blank (no electronics) and cut a key for our Odyssey. It won't start the engine but will release the column. The valet key works the same as the key in my pocket so it wouldn't stop anyone from stealing the rig. The blank I had made will stop them.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:57 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 815
Don and Mary,

Most states(maybe all) will require a braking system for your toad. No problem if you don't get stopped or in an accident. If the worst occurs your insurance company will probably bail on you also plus the tickets.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #67
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Don:
I had Honda take a "practice" key blank (no electronics) and cut a key for our Odyssey. It won't start the engine but will release the column. The valet key works the same as the key in my pocket so it wouldn't stop anyone from stealing the rig. The blank I had made will stop them.

That's a great idea!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #68
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Thanks guys.....I just bought a nice 2013 CRV for towing yesterday. I'm tired of towing my truck when I don't need it. I figured I would search the CRV posts for any useful information and this one was perfect. I know what equipment I need, but wanted to know the little intricacies like the fuse and small battery issue.

I just had right hand carpal tunnel surgery today, so I've been on an ordering spree while laid up in my chair for a few days.

I ordered the following:

- Roadmaster Base plates to match my Roadmaster tow bar.
- Diodes for tail lights (preferred system for me)
- Roadmaster Fusemaster switch fuse - pricey, but a nice setup
- Odyssey battery box
- Will install Group 24 battery
- Wiring for taillights
- Roadmaster Umbilical kit with 7 pin and 6 pin connectors (don't want to use my truck umbilical with my SMI air hose and break away cable attached)
- Laminated card with towing procedures

Did I miss anything? I may include a charge line since I'm installing a new umbilical from scratch (have diodes and fuses),just not connect it unless I have issues.

I've always been big on braking systems and run the SMI Air Force One on my truck. With the Honda, I may forgo brakes unless SMI will sell just the under hood box at a reasonable price since I'm keeping the unit on my truck. My Dutch Star is a 40' with a tag and engine brake. I have brakes on all three axles and disc on the front. If I still had my Diplomat, I would be putting brakes on the CRV without issue. I need to get some clarification on the California brake rules. Reading through the section, it says you need to be able to stop the trailer within 50' at 20 mph, but doesn't specifically discuss toads.

Don, I think you're gonna love that CRV! Did you get the AWD?
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
TwoCorners's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hernando, Fl
Posts: 120
I leave the valet key in accessory mode, flip the fuse bypass switch and lock the doors with the main key. I'd someone wanted to steal my CR-V at a rest stop, while I'm in the coach eating lunch, they would have to break out a window, unhook the car from the coach, drive off. Not likely.
At night if we're not unhooking I remove the valet key and just lock the car.
__________________
Jim & Barb
2015 Dutch Star 4369
2012 Honda CR-V
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #70
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,313
Joe....I bought the 2WD. Not much need for AWD here in California. Bought it at CarMax with 32K. A really clean little car with 2K and 2 months worth of OEM warranty left on it. Its maroon and even matches one of my motor home colors.

We bought it for a couple of big trips this summer including a coast to coast. My motor home really doesn't know if its towing my truck or the CRV. Just thought it would be nice to tow something smaller and easier to clean.

I find that it's a little noisey inside, I think it's the Continental tires. I have them on my new Acura MDX and find them hard riding and noisey. They've got a few miles left on them, but I think I will change the tires to some Hankooks or another soft riding tire.
__________________

__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
honda



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda CRV accessory fuse GaryG Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 12 10-09-2009 08:58 PM
Honda CR-V feedback: Thank you all LamarAt Monaco Owner's Forum 6 06-05-2009 09:48 PM
2003 Honda Accord Marcel Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 02-19-2009 03:07 PM
honda 200i charging batteries woodinboater Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 1 02-10-2009 08:29 PM
honda cr-v fuse issues mycoolbeans Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 01-25-2009 04:20 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.