Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda CR-V

I have been looking for another toad as I am ancient and been shifting gears on my Ranger for more than 10 years and my clutch leg needs rest. The Honda looks like a good choice but I sure would like to hear from people who tow the auto tranny four down. Thanks to all of you!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased a 2011 Lincoln MKX with 22k on it for $17000. Pulls nice.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #3

I've been towing a 2011 Honda CR-V for 5 years now. I use the Ready Brute braking system. I've not had ONE issue with the CRV. I get the transmission flushed yearly and meticulously go through the pre-towing checklist.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #4

I've had a CRV for about 6 months now and tow with a dolly. It's a 2014 so it's towable 4 down and one of these days I'll make the switch. I bought the CRV because it's generally agreed to be one of the best toads out there for 4-down. But again that only applies 2014 and back since the 2015s went to the new transmissions.
I think it's a great car and Honda does have a reputation for long life and quality. I personally think it's a bit overrated. The gas mileage is good, but not quite as high as I'd hoped. It's also fairly noisy in my mind (comparing it to my old Murano).

One thing I've read a lot about is the tiny battery and how some people find it being dead after 4-down towing. Not sure if this is a big deal at all (doesn't affect me yet since the key is in the off position when I dolly tow), but one fellow here has a thread where he replaced the CRVs tiny battery with a larger high capacity one by buying a Honda Pilot battery holder. I'll probably go that way if and when I finally go 4-down.

But those are minor issues in my mind. I'd buy it again after 6 months.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2010 CRV. Tows well, but the battery can go dead on a day long ride if you do not start and run it for a few minutes during the day.
My favorite toad is our 2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac with a Ford installed Neutral switch. Has a bigger battery and everything is turned off including the ignition key while in tow.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD. Which is basically the same as an MKX mentioned in a previous post.

It tows great but you may need to have a way to charge the battery while it tow. All the electronics and the braking system tend to drain the battery.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I've had a CRV for about 6 months now and tow with a dolly. It's a 2014 so it's towable 4 down and one of these days I'll make the switch. I bought the CRV because it's generally agreed to be one of the best toads out there for 4-down. But again that only applies 2014 and back since the 2015s went to the new transmissions.
I think it's a great car and Honda does have a reputation for long life and quality. I personally think it's a bit overrated. The gas mileage is good, but not quite as high as I'd hoped. It's also fairly noisy in my mind (comparing it to my old Murano).

One thing I've read a lot about is the tiny battery and how some people find it being dead after 4-down towing. Not sure if this is a big deal at all (doesn't affect me yet since the key is in the off position when I dolly tow), but one fellow here has a thread where he replaced the CRVs tiny battery with a larger high capacity one by buying a Honda Pilot battery holder. I'll probably go that way if and when I finally go 4-down.

But those are minor issues in my mind. I'd buy it again after 6 months.

Is your CRV front wheel drive or all wheel drive? I was told, by the dealer , you cannot tow an all wheel drive on a dolly only 4 wheel down.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
greyghost... I've been flat towing a Honda Element for four years with no problems. C-RV is built on the same chassis, but the Element is roomier, more useful, and more comfortable, in my view.

Srh, jondrew, and Forza Tom...... It's true that some Hondas have an under spec battery, but that is an issue wholly unrelated to towing. Whether you upgrade the battery or not, the towing solution is to install a charge line as part of your towing setup. Honestly, I can't understand why someone would NOT put in a charge line during initial setup.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been 4 down towing a 2012 Honda CRV since June of 2012. I did install a fuse switch to simplify the towing instructions, but other than that, it is as simple as one can get. I use a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and system and a SMI AF One braking system.
I towed it for 31,000 miles, including a trip to AK, with my 2012 Allegro RED, and have put another 4000 miles on the same system with my current Allegro Bus.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Is your CRV front wheel drive or all wheel drive? I was told, by the dealer , you cannot tow an all wheel drive on a dolly only 4 wheel down.

The information from the dealer is correct. You can not tow an all wheel drive on a dolly, but the 2 wheel drive can be towed on a dolly or 4 down.

You need to also remember that 2014 was the last year for being able to tow a CRV.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Front wheel drive. You are correct, you cannot dolly tow an AWD CRV
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be sure you buy a 2014 or older. the new ones are not towable 4 wheels down.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have towed a 2008 Honda CR-V, all wheel drive with an automatic, 4 wheels down for about 30k miles in the past 2 years.

Initially we had a couple of issues with a dead battery. You are supposed to remove one of the fuses before towing but we found that we could tow for a day, without removing the fuse, with no apparent adverse consequences. We also found that it you forget to remove the fuse and tow for two days, the battery would go dead. It was a pain to remove and replace the fuse so we tried to avoid it. After forgetting and having to have the toad boosted a couple of times we purchased a fuse switch. The fuse switch plugs onto to the existing fuse connector and provides a alternate fuse location in its wiring. Now we simply flip the switch as part of our "tow prep" and all is good - no more dead batteries.

You do have to go through a short process each day and whenever you exceed 8 hours of to towing. It is simply a matter of going through the gears and waiting 30 seconds in "D" and another 3 minutes in "N". We typically do this when hooking up the toad or during our morning pre-trip tasks. Easy-peasy.

I don't know what I'll do when I have to replace the CR-V since the new ones can no longer be towed 4-down.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
At the risk of repetitiveness...

1. You need a 2014 or earlier CRV if you want to flat tow. 2015 and later AWD must be trailered, Front WD can be dolly towed.
2. Don't dolly tow an AWD model.
3. Easy pre-departure set up procedure is good for 8 hours of combined total tow and non-towing time. (I prefer to limit to 6 hours and then running the set up.)
4. Transmission fluid must be changed out every 2 years or 30,000 miles.
5. The CRV battery SUCKS! You can upgrade it to the same battery that goes into an Odyssey without any problems. Worth it for all reasons not even towing related.
6. Depending on year, 1 or 2 fuses to "pull". I use a fuse cut off switch. If you opt to use a battery charge line from the coach, then pulling fuses not needed.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda