Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Honda CR-V diesel for 2014

Just saw it on the Internet tonight. Anybody have any add'l info? Looks to be about a 1.8L engine. Interesting if it actually comes out I'd sure be interested.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just found this:

"As you’ll probably notice, the ad is for the new diesel-fueled Honda CR-V which is getting a limited release in Europe. Unfortunately that means it could be a while before we see a 2014 Honda CR-V Diesel U.S. release date. However, many manufacturers are beginning to bring diesel engines to the states, so there is a chance that we could eventually see this fuel efficient SUV in our showroom. It will all depend on how well Americans handle the outbreak of diesel vehicles that will take place indefinitely next year."

I would sure look at one if it become available.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Community Moderator

talking about diesel, the best is still mercedes the next is vw. too early to jump on any other makes, even bmw i have seen just not there. honda had no experience in diesel, i would wait and see if it ever comes to na.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From Car & Driver

Not that it matters, as there is no diesel CR-V headed across the pond any time soon, and Honda’s plans to bring any diesels to the U.S. are currently on hold while the company expands its hybrid lineup.

Too bad! I wanted one until I read this last part.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Gang,
For some odd, or "political" reason(s) the U.S. has a very hard time allowing or, admitting diesel powered smaller vehicles for quite some time now. VW has managed to make it past all the rules and political "horse jumps" and has been able to sell their diesel units for quite a while now. They started around '97 with the Bug, the Golf and, the Jetta.

The early Jettas, as in the non-turbo, naturally aspirated ones, were several years before that and, while they got "fair" gas mileage, they could not get out of their own way. Talk about horrible power .

But, the '97 units, had/have great power, and outstanding fuel mileage to boot. They, (VW) had the kibosh put on them from about '05 to '09 when they were allowed to start selling the diesel units again. I had both an '03 and an '04 TDI bug. "Turbo-Direct-Injection" diesel. Phenomenal power and torque.

Many manufacturers produce diesel powered units that we've not been able to get here in the "U.S." Jeep has diesel powered wranglers in Europe. They had, a V-6 Diesel in the Grand Cherokee that was not available in CA. That is until it is "classified" as a used car with, 7501 miles on it, then it can be sold in CA, Imagine that. The Jeep Liberty has had a common rail diesel available for a while but that one, was only a 45 state vehicle. Usually it's CA that bans all the good cars but, for some odd reason, it was banned from 4 others as well.

Smart For Two, a.k.a. SMART cars, also produced diesel units sold in Canada and Europe that achieve around 60-75 miles per gallon. BUT, NOT SOLD IN THE STATES.

Honda has had DIESEL CRV's for a while now and, the folks in Canada have had them. All you have to do is go to a CRV forum and you'll see that there's people on there that have had them for quite a while. Again, this country has some phenomenal set of rules that won't let it in. I'm certainly no expert on how all this works but, after having two ultra high mileage (mpg mileage that is) diesel cars that ran like a top, had power enough to take any grade in the U.S. with a full compliment of people and have the A/C on and still accelerate in top gear, all the while achieving 42 mpg on a constant basis, it never ceases to amaze me why we're not introduced to more of them, from more manfacturers.

Hybrids are great if, you live on flat ground, travel on flat ground and, don't travel that far. But, if you live and commute in tall, hilly country, as in a minimum of 1500' to sea level on a daily basis, little electric cars just don't cut it. And, Diesel's been around for decades and decades. There's magical change-over system with large expensive batteries, no special charging stations that have to in place for you at work or where ever you park it.

Just in case anyone's interested, Audi ran a TDI Diesel formula one car a few years ago and won several races with it, WITH SMOG GEAR IN PLACE!!!!! The improved diesel technology is, and has been out there for several years now. No one has to wait for it to "evolve" into something. It's already here. GM really screwed up quite a few years ago when they tried to use an Olds V-8 Gas engine as diesel unit. What a flop that was. Absolute 0 power and ran like caca.

I just saw a commercial a couple of weeks ago for BMW selling a diesel. 'Bout time.

Anyway, a diesel CRV (which, like stated has been around for a while now) would be a great addition to the toad fleet.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BMW Diesel

I saw the BMW commercial and the numbers sounded suspiciously close to the VW/Audi oil burner. Made me wonder if BMW is buying engines from them.

If you drove a BMW Diesel would you still have to drive like an entitled jerk?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

I own a BMW and Im not a jerk. Our do you think I am.
channelsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry

There are always exceptions. It was meant to be humorous.

Yahoo!

But hey! I live in the area with possibly the worst and most arrogant drivers in the country. I used to think Boston was bad? Not any more. Los Angeles? Hah, they are positivly polite compared to the idiots around here. I keep a TT hitch on my truck 'cause it cuts down on the tailgaiting once they get their face out of the cellphone and see it.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The DW's Reaction

When I showed the link about the diesel CRV to my DW I swear she lit up like a pinball machine! If it gets anything near the mileage that a VW TDI gets they will never be able to make enough.

If it's 4-down towable with an automatic we will switch in a heartbeat.

The only things stopping us from getting a TDI Sportwagon are questions about it's towability with an automatic and the interior is just a hair too short for my sailing gear.

I haven't checked out the BMW or Audi yet. The Audi is probably too small and I have yet to see a BMW diesel on the road.

'Love the smell of diesel on a cold morning'
Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

I was hoping Dodge/Jeep were going to put a diesel in the Durango. I like the 7 or 8 passanger. Maybe GM will put one in an Acadia and clones.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We started out with an 05 VW Jedda TDI. It was great. My DW drove it until 2012 when we traded it for a Passat TDI. It is great. We regularly get over 50mpg on trips and the car is roomy and rides quite nicely.

I think Audi is using the same engine as the TDI. A lot of their bodies are made my VW already. Should be a nicer version of the VW.

On a side note our Jeddi smelled like a diesel when it left the garage. The diesel odor lingered for a while. This new "Clean Diesel" hardly has any diesel smell at all. What's more it is much quieter than the older one.

Anyway, we love it. It has great power, economy, comfort and style, but we cannot tow it four down. We used a Demco Tow Dolly.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #12

I got a 2001 Jetta TDI, extensively moded and it is great... 40 mpg, peppy and handles like a go cart. Only 165K miles so just broke in.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

Gents,
I never wish to "hijack" any threads for any reason. This thread started out about the possibility of a diesel CRV. Well, as stated, it's been out for a while but, for whatever reason the powers, in command, have a hard time allowing it to be sold here. I'm not a political extremist or, an smog engineer but, it never ceases to amaze me WHY, when something like the VW "TDI" engine, ever since around '97, plus or minus, was introduced, can get upwards of 49 mpg, ( I know, I proved my two, an '03 and '04 both would get that on a trip at 60 mph), WHY other manufacturers will not jump on the bandwagon and produce, low emission diesel TDI engines for all the smaller cars in their lineup.

And, as a little research found out, many of the gas version vehicles have diesel counterparts that are sold outside this country. WHY? I mean, we walk up to any Ford, Dodge, Chevy, GMC new truck lot and find thousands and thousands of diesel units. Why aren't they "Banned" from being sold here?

I'm getting way off track here. Sorry, surely don't want to offend the OP here. Yes, if Honda could jump through any and all hoops to get the diesel version of their CRV released here, and, if it's anywhere near as good in mileage as the TDI VW vehicles, AND, if it remains FLAT TOWABLE, then I'm sure you'd see a pretty fair stampede to the local Honda dealers, depending on of course, the price etc.

On a side note, Dodge was supposed to have released a diesel 1/2 ton in August that was SUPPOSED to be the same cost as a comparable gas truck. Don't think I've seen any news of that yet either.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #14

If the gap in the price of diesel fuel vs. gasoline stays as large as it is now, a lot of the economy spread will be negated. The new Gasoline Direct Injection 4 cyl. engine in the Accord has a very good reliability record so far. It may be fitted to the CRV in the future. I am waiting for the GDI V-6 in the Acura MDX to prove itself, because our 2005 MDX will need to be replaced in the next year or two.

Our current MDX has been a great toad. I need to find out if the new generation 3 (2014) is rated for 4-down towing like the old one.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel