Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #15

Let me give a little information about Honda CR-V's. I have owned five Hondas so I guess I'm a Honda man and in 8+ years of fulltiming I have towed a 1999 and now a 2007 CR-V a total of 87,000 miles. At least a dozen of my friends also tow CR-V's.

The CR-V hit the US market in 1997 and every CR-V through 2008 models have been towable 4-wheels down. That is 2WD, AWD, manual and automatic transmissions. Every owner's manual since 1997 has had a section detailing the procedure to follow when towing behind a motorhome.

In 2002 models Honda started recommending pulling a fuse to prevent draining the battery. But if the CR-V is towed less than 300 miles or the time between restarts is less than 8 hours the battery will not run down. In 2007 Honda introduced a Navigation system and it gave additional battery load. So on Navigation models the fuse needs to be pulled or the engine should be started every 6 hours.

There are two reasons for running the engine and going through the gears every eight hours. First, when going from R to N an internal gear is left in the R position. That is why Honda requires going from D to N before stopping the engine. The second reason is the transmission fluid drains to the sump after sitting over 8 hours. When you run the engine and go through the gears, transmission fluid is pumped through the transmission and left in various pools to lubricate the gears. After 8 hours the fluid has seeped back to the sump and it needs to be run again.

In 2007 and 2008 models it is possible for a failure to cause the transmission to remain in park so the disabled CR-V can not be pulled on a flat bed towing trailer. Use the key to pop off the plate under the gear shift lever and press a latch to unlock the transmission. This is for Emergency Use Only to allow the car to be taken to a repair shop.

A dummy key can not be used in the ignition to unlock the steering for towing. Use the regular key (with a chip) to start the engine, run through the gears, go from D to N, turn the key off (Acc 1) and you are ready to tow. To remove the key and insert the dummy key you have to shift to P, remove the key, and now the dummy key will not start the engine and the transmission is in P.

If you want to lock the doors which can't be done with the key in the ignition there is a simple work-around. With the key in the ignition open the driver's door and hold the handle fully open. Put a key in the driver's door lock and turn the key. All four doors will lock and then close the door. To open the door do not use the remote, use the key.

Hope some of this helps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
This is fabulous information and very much appreciated.

GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikeeg:
Paul,
Do you pull the #38 or is that #34 upper left top fuse or is it ok on the batteries without. I have got mixed reviews on the fuse and dead battery problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I don't pull any fuses. The only thing I do is that at the end of a day of towing I start the CRV, let is run for a few minutes, put it in park, remove the key and lock it. The next morning before while getting ready to start out for the day I unlock it, start it, follow the towing set up prcedure, let it run for a few minutes, shut off the engine, lock it and hit the road. I have never had a problem with a low or dead battery and have towed for 3 or 4 days following the above procedure.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #18

I purchasd the Aventa 2 with the ball type joint in it. It is a 10K bar but for the diff. in price why not go top shelf. I got the whole set up from RV Upgrades at a cost off $1100.00 with shipping. I ordered the bracket ,tow bar,locks,safty cables,wiring with diode box not poppins and cover. The install done on the side by RV tech. and helper $875.00 total of 14 man hrs. I'am still shopping for a brake system.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #19

Just a short note on the Valet key. From what I know the only thing that the Valet key does not do is open the glove compartment, so you can store valuables when having the car parked.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #20

I don't know about the battery draw on ACCY on 07-08 CRVs, but I did notice some draw-down on my 05 when towing for long times (and not driving the toad substantially between stops). As an alternative to pulling a fuse, I installed a Toad-Charge unit from LSL Products which safely provides up to a 5 amp charge from the RV's batteries when connected. Result: always fresh toad battery. I believe newer Toad-Charge units will provide up to 10 amps, but that's probably not needed for the Honda. It was a simple installation and I recommend it.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norm Payne:
The CR-V hit the US market in 1997 and every CR-V through 2008 models have been towable 4-wheels down. That is 2WD, AWD, manual and automatic transmissions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CRV never came with a standard/manual transmission.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #22

Sorry, but I believe they did offer a manual in later years up through 06...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norm Payne:
If you want to lock the doors which can't be done with the key in the ignition there is a simple work-around. With the key in the ignition open the driver's door and hold the handle fully open. Put a key in the driver's door lock and turn the key. All four doors will lock and then close the door. To open the door do not use the remote, use the key.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The doors of any Honda can be easily locked without placing a key in the outside door lock. With a key in the ignition, hold the inside door handle open while pressing down on the door manual lock button. This will lock all doors and when you close the door all doors will remain locked. You do not have to insert a key on the outside door lock, but you'll need a key or the remote opener to then unlock the doors from the outside.

-Tom

Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The doors of any Honda can be easily locked without placing a key in the outside door lock. With a key in the ignition, hold the inside door handle open while pressing down on the door manual lock button. This will lock all doors and when you close the door all doors will remain locked. You do not have to insert a key on the outside door lock, but you'll need a key or the remote opener to then unlock the doors from the outside.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That procedure did not work in my 1999 CR-V. I just tried it in my 2007 CR-V and it doesn't work in it either. Doing that will lock all doors, but when the drivers door is closed it unlocks leaving the other doors locked. That is a safety feature so the doors can not be locked with the key in the ignition.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That procedure did not work in my 1999 CR-V. I just tried it in my 2007 CR-V and it doesn't work in it either. Doing that will lock all doors, but when the drivers door is closed it unlocks leaving the other doors locked. That is a safety feature so the doors can not be locked with the key in the ignition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works in my Accord and my Civic.

-Tom

Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diesellabs:
Sorry, but I believe they did offer a manual in later years up through 06... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CRV was never offered with a manual transmission.

-Tom

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #27

Well this is getting off-thread and I don't want to argue the point...but with my own eyes I have seen two 2005 CR-V EX models with a manual 5-speed, and both my owner's manual and the Honda shop manual detail procedures specific to the manual tranny.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #28

an alternitive to pulling the fuse is to go to you local automotive store or Radio Shack and get a wire with a inline fuse, i plugged this into the fuse block and wired it to a switch on the dash board. now i just turn the switch off insted of haveing to crawl under the dash every time i want to tow.