Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We finally have our toad and it's a 2008 CR-V EX 2WD and we are reviewing old posts one more time and putting together info on the hitch and brake system. In a prior posting I found the following info and I'm wondering what small cover they are referring to.

"Seems the trans console has a release under small cover in it where you can insert your key and unlock the trans and steering then take the key out so no key has to be in the car. The mileage will not register when towing because that operates off the electronics which will all be off."

Any input on this is appreciated.

GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We finally have our toad and it's a 2008 CR-V EX 2WD and we are reviewing old posts one more time and putting together info on the hitch and brake system. In a prior posting I found the following info and I'm wondering what small cover they are referring to.

"Seems the trans console has a release under small cover in it where you can insert your key and unlock the trans and steering then take the key out so no key has to be in the car. The mileage will not register when towing because that operates off the electronics which will all be off."

Any input on this is appreciated.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #3

I have towed 2 different CRV 4 wheel drive. I was unaware the 2wd was towable, is that new for 2008. I got a ignition key without the chip in it from the dealer. The key would unlock the steering, and doors, but not start the car. Check with your dealer, I never have heard of the small cover either.
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was unaware the 4WD was towable, is that new for 2008. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't either, but both the FMCA and Motorhome Magazine dinghy towing guides list the 2WD model as towable for 2007.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When we purchased the 2008 we were very clear to the fleet salesperson that it would be towed 4 wheels down behind a motorhome. We asked for the owner's manual and read the pages together with the salesperson. If anyone is interested in the specific instructions I'd be happy to quote it, if it would be helpful to other readers. It lists the specific routine for each day (runing through the gears, key position, fuse to pull, speed limit, etc.).

As we started shopping for a toad we reviewed the FMCA and Motorhome Magazine lists, but confirmed with the dealer. I also remember asking on these boards if it would matter if the 2007 was 2WD or 4WD, and someone replied "personal preferences". Is there anything else that should be checked?

(The salesperson said the CR-V and the Fit were the only towables for Honda right now, but of course one should double-check before purchasing.)
Old 11-11-2007, 04:50 AM   #6

The rules for towing the CRV are very well spelled out in the owners manual. Follow them and you can't go wrong. I use the spare "valet" key in the ignition when I tow. I don't think there is anything under the little cover by the gearshift that will effect anything having to do with towing, I think that has something to do with releasing the gearshift lever if the lockout fails. Also I don't know if I would want to get an unprogramed key to put in the ignition while towing. The manual is very specific about how to shift through the gears prior to towing and NOT going back into reverse. In order to get the key out that will start the car and replace it with one that won't the gear shift would have to go through reverse. I will just stick with what Honda recommends, I don't have to worry about problems with Honda that way.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
(The salesperson said the CR-V and the Fit were the only towables for Honda right now, but of course one should double-check before purchasing.)

GoneFishin
Last year I was told the Fit was not towable. Are you sure it is towable? The Fit would be a great toad I would think.
2006 Winnebago Outlook 25F
2007 Honda CRV EX Navi-L
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
PaulC, Thanks for the response. When someone says "I was unaware" that the brand new car you just bought is towable - it makes my heart skip a beat. That's why it is so important to do your homework! So many factors to consider with towing!

I agree that the instructions are very clear in the owner's manual. Using the "valet" key was a thought of ours and we were going to confirm with the service manager or fleet manager (or anyone else we can think of) to confirm it's use in the ignition to tow. Someone in another post had mentioned something about an area in the console for inserting the key, but it did not make sense. I think you are correct about the little cover near the gearshift being a way to get inside the shifter console. We'll confirm when we visit the dealer next week.

Jerry J, We will be back at the dealer on 11/19 and I can ask for copies of the pages from the Fit owner's manual, if you let me know before the 19th. The salesperson said the Fit was towable, but of course confirmation is needed.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The 5-speed Fit is towable with no mods. Any standard shift Honda is towable with no mods.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #10

We tow a 2003 CRV 4x4 and have used the valet key from day one. That way we have the remote controls with keys in our pockets.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #11

I'am the bad guy here with the info on the little cover on shift housing. When I purchased my 07 CR-V the sales person gave us the wrong information on that.I called Honda and they filled me in on the cover which has a lock for the gear shift release only not the steering wheel. SORRY!!!!!!
I got our CR-V set up a few weeks ago and have only had a chance for a short test ride pulling it but my Dutch Star does not seem to no it is back there. Blue ox equipment worked out great on the install and with out the tow tabs you wouldn't no the toad had a bracket on it.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikeeg:
I'am the bad guy here with the info on the little cover on shift housing. When I purchased my 07 CR-V the sales person gave us the wrong information on that.I called Honda and they filled me in on the cover which has a lock for the gear shift release only not the steering wheel. SORRY!!!!!!
I got our CR-V set up a few weeks ago and have only had a chance for a short test ride pulling it but my Dutch Star does not seem to no it is back there. Blue ox equipment worked out great on the install and with out the tow tabs you wouldn't no the toad had a bracket on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No harm no foul. Too bad Honda didn't come up with an easy way to unlock the steering wheel and leave the transmission in neutral without having to use the key. Even with the minor inconvienience the CRV is a great toad.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #13

Paul,
Do you pull the #38 or is that #34 upper left top fuse or is it ok on the batteries without. I have got mixed reviews on the fuse and dead battery problems.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, I knew it was you, and even sent you a private message, but when I didn't hear from you I tried to quote you without naming you. Thank you for letting us know the results.

Which tow bar did you have installed? Did you get a braking system? I'm also curious about having to pull the fuse.

We are ready to order it and have it installed before January. Although some have said you can get a good deal at a rally, we want to have this done before hitting the road. Not sure how much of a discount is available at the rally though. So close and so anxious...