Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Honda CR-V Procedures / Brake Buddy

We sadly need to replace our 2000 Jeep Wrangler, which has been a wonderful dinghy. Due to cost issues, we're looking at a 2014 Honda CR-V instead of another Jeep, but the CR-V is also an excellent dinghy per most sources. The preparation procedures, however, are not nearly as simple as what I'm used to. One needs to daily or twice-daily (if exceed 300 miles) start the CR-V's engine, press on the brake pedal, shift the AT lever through all the gears, shift to "D", let the engine run for three minutes, etc. (For the Jeep, it's transfer case in neutral and "go"!) One of my concerns is that all of this cannot be easily done with a Brake Buddy in place, i.e., getting into the drivers seat, pressing the brake pedal, etc. I'd like not to disconnect and remove the Brake Buddy at over-night stops where I don't need to disconnect the dinghy. What are anyone's experiences and comments about this. All of my googling about the CR-V procedures with a Brake Buddy in place produces threads in many forums about 12V usage, dead batteries, removing fuses, alternative braking systems, having no supplemental braking system, etc. but nothing about my stated concern. Thanks for input. ~ Stan
Stan & BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2012 CR-V with a Brake Buddy. The startup procedure really isn't that bad, and I don't think you need to run the engine in Drive for 3 minutes. I give mine 30 seconds and never have a problem. Yes, it's awkward getting your foot on the brake with the Brake Buddy installed but it's 30 seconds to unclamp it and lay it on the passenger seat.

As for flat batteries, the most effective fix I've found is running a 12 volt charge line from the MH to the CR-V battery. There should by 12 volts on one of the pins on the 7 pin connector.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only reason for pressing the brake pedal is to release the gear shift. There is a key slot next to the gear shift lever. If you put the key in and unlock the locking mechanism, You will no longer have to press the brake. Actually you will be towing in neutral and will only have to shift to the forward gears. I don't think you will have to press the brake for that. The car should start in neutral. Go to a car lot and check this out, but I am 99% sure this is correct.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
CR-V is a fine toad. When you drive up to first attach it, you've already done the procedure. When starting up the next day, I leave the brake assist attached and move the whole unit to depress the brake to run through the gears. Not a problem.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
CR-V is a fine toad. When you drive up to first attach it, you've already done the procedure. When starting up the next day, I leave the brake assist attached and move the whole unit to depress the brake to run through the gears. Not a problem.
I agree. I use a Patriot but same idea.
As for the battery, I have a charge line but also removed the OEM group 51, 450 CCA battery and replaced it with a Group 24, 900 CCA battery. No dead battery issues. No pulling fuses.

The replacement plastic battery tray is for a 2013/14 Honda Odessy (under $20) and is a direct replacement. The original hold down also fits the larger battery. Just remove the OEM plastic two piece tray, install the new one, the new larger battery and the hold down and off you go. Simple as fallin off a log but not so dangerous.

To clarify, the parts numbers for the two piece tray are:

1ea, 31531-TK8-A00
1ea, 31521-TK8-A00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	151778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	151779  

Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We have a '14CRV (prior toad was an '06 Jeep Liberty) & BB Advantage. DH first hooks up the tow bars to the coach & I'm in the CRV. When he's done, I do a pull-test to lock the tow bars. Then I run the CRV through the steps per the manual while he's getting out the BB. I leave it in N, get out of the car (it isn't going anywhere since it's hooked to the tow bars which are attached to the coach) & then DH puts in the BB, hooks it up & runs it through its procedures. We do a light check & then we're off.

We've been able to tow up to 4 hours without having the battery go dead. But we will be either putting in a charge line or upgrading the battery (both options mentioned in past post - just do a search).

The CRV is a great toad. You'll like it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #7

I agree with changing your battery to the larger battery. Let that little battery go dead and you WILL have to replace it. The larger battery has much more capacity. Tight squeeze though, but doable. Glad I did it.
BTW, I use the Brake Buddy system. Great system
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been towing my 2014 CRV for a couple years now with no dead battery. I installed a fuse switch in the dash. I bought it online from Blue Ox. I hit the switch and it turns off the dash. I have towed for 8 hours with no dead battery. When I disconnect I hit the switch and everything works. I have the NAV-EXL. The switch took a few minutes to install. I did replace the original battery with a new larger one.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

When dealer installed everything they ran a charge line. Never worry about the battery. The procedure is simple but, there is a few extra steps a Jeep won't have. It's a great toad and a nice driving car. It always takes a few minutes to get used to driving the CRV after towing it for a few days. It stops a heck of lot easier and the steering feels twitchy too. We stick bikes inside the CRV if the weather is bad removing the front wheels, and out our outside chairs and ground covering in there too. We had a class C with limited storage and are int the process of upgrading rigs.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I have been towing my 2014 CRV for a couple years now with no dead battery. I installed a fuse switch in the dash. I bought it online from Blue Ox. I hit the switch and it turns off the dash. I have towed for 8 hours with no dead battery. When I disconnect I hit the switch and everything works. I have the NAV-EXL. The switch took a few minutes to install. I did replace the original battery with a new larger one.

I have the same setup but use the FuseMaster from Roadmaster. I've never had a dead battery yet!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #11

To lubricate the transmission while hooked up, I simply start the engine, squat outside beside the drivers seat, hold the brake pedal down with one hand and run the transmission through the gears with the other hand. Move the shifter back to neutral, shut car off and pump the brake pedal by hand until all the vacuum is gone. I unhook nothing.
I also have the switch for the fuse under the dash, and have separate brake lights for the toad powered by the coach. Because I have separate lights, I pull fuse #16 under the hood so the brake buddy is not operating the toad brake lights when it pushes on the brake. The toad battery only operates the brake buddy pump. I have no charge line, I haven't changed the battery and haven't yet had a dead battery problem.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We have a '14CRV (prior toad was an '06 Jeep Liberty) & BB Advantage. DH first hooks up the tow bars to the coach & I'm in the CRV. When he's done, I do a pull-test to lock the tow bars. Then I run the CRV through the steps per the manual while he's getting out the BB. I leave it in N, get out of the car (it isn't going anywhere since it's hooked to the tow bars which are attached to the coach) & then DH puts in the BB, hooks it up & runs it through its procedures. We do a light check & then we're off.

We've been able to tow up to 4 hours without having the battery go dead. But we will be either putting in a charge line or upgrading the battery (both options mentioned in past post - just do a search).

The CRV is a great toad. You'll like it.

Lori-
In my '14 CR-V I used a battery box and larger battery from an '05 Ody and added a charge line. I already had the '05 Ody in the driveway and had towed it for a number of years so it was easy to just buy parts for what I knew.
The Ody was a great towed too, but I no longer needed the space and it does have 108,000 miles on it and an add'l 40,000 towing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Make sure you depress the button on the BBuddy 5 or so times each time you go thru process or bad things happen glenb
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
To lubricate the transmission while hooked up, I simply start the engine, squat outside beside the drivers seat, hold the brake pedal down with one hand and run the transmission through the gears with the other hand. Move the shifter back to neutral, shut car off and pump the brake pedal by hand until all the vacuum is gone. I unhook nothing.
I also have the switch for the fuse under the dash, and have separate brake lights for the toad powered by the coach. Because I have separate lights, I pull fuse #16 under the hood so the brake buddy is not operating the toad brake lights when it pushes on the brake. The toad battery only operates the brake buddy pump. I have no charge line, I haven't changed the battery and haven't yet had a dead battery problem.
I have a RoadMaster BrakeMaster unit, air operated so no power used there. The only power used from the CR-V battery is for the brake lights and what ever power is used by the CR-V systems as the center panel can't be shut off. Don't have the Navi either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, honda