It isn’t my intent to cause any controversy to this discussion, but let me describe the results I’ve had with these problems.
I purchased a Demco tow bar to replace a Roadmaster All Terrine Falcon because of a failure of the Falcon locking system. I must say I bought the Demco on price alone.
Over the years I have used Road Master tow bars, and disconnecting has always been a problem if conditions were not just right.
When the new Demco gave problems with disconnecting, I connected Demco and talked with their executive vice president about the problem. He was so concerned that he sent a service tech several hundred miles to instruct me how to remove all problems with disconnecting.
After my instruction from the tech, there are no problems with disconnecting from a Demco tow bar at any angle, vertical or horizontal. Read correctly, No Problems!
To begin with, The Denmar is unique in that each tow bar arm is independently supported. You can connect or disconnect each tow bar arm and store it independently. There is no issue with one disconnected tow bar arm putting pressure on the other tow bar arm. That is an advantage you can’t appreciate until you do the work. It is great.
With these advantages, binding with a Denmar tow bar are much less than other tow bars.
Now how to remove any bind problems on disconnect:
1. After stopping the MH and Towed, put toad gear shift in “D: and allow toad to creek forward as far as it allows.
2. While toad transmission is still in “D:, set parking brake. Important! Set parking brake before moving transmission to Park. I made the mistake of setting transmission in Park first. The problem with this is that there is slop in these gears, and you will not obtain a complete stop of movement on the tow bar if you use Park before the parking brake.
3. Put toad transmission in Park.
4. Release tow bar arm lock on both tow bar arms, disconnect first tow bar arm and stow that tow bar arm.
5. Unless there is still resistance on the second tow bar arm, just release it and stow it. If it is still tight. Put the toed in “D” and move forward a fraction of an inch. The second tow bar arm will now be able to be unlocked by its unlock release.
Put it all away and have a good beer!
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP
Cummins ISL, Cummins E-Brake