Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Honda CRV fuse switch vs. Navigation system

I have a 2009 Honda CRV. If I pull the #34 fuse (Acc. Radio) it kills all power to the radio and Nav. system, such that the Nav sysem will have to be reprogramed when you reinstall the fuse or repower the fuse switch. Has anyone figured out a way to not have to reprogram everything when you either pull the fuse or use the fuse switch?? Maybe tyhis is just a"gotcha" that we have to deal with?? Thanks for your suggestions and input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is pulling that fuse part of the towing instructions on the 09 CRV's?

"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Rocky has a point - why pull the fuse?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Honda towing instruction say to pull this fuse after running the transmission thru all gears and idling in neutral for 3 minutes prior to turning off. Then they instruct you to pull the #34 fuse.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My experience is, pull the fuse if you are going to be towing for several days, otherwise the battery WILL run down. You are ok for a day. I made and installed a switch which I can use to disconnect the fuse.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Honda towing instruction say to pull this fuse after running the transmission thru all gears and idling in neutral for 3 minutes prior to turning off. Then they instruct you to pull the #34 fuse.

I too have a 2009 Honda CRV, where in the owners manual does it say to pull the fuse? I tow without pulling any fuses as per my owners manual instructions. Have had no problems what so ever.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
2009 Owners Manual pg.267 refers to pulling #34 fuse for "long" periods of towing. They do not define "long" but I would infer it to mean over an 8 hr. period of towing(referred to as extended towing on same page.
The only reason I asked this question was to try and find out if there is anyway around having to reprogram the Nav. sys. is you pull the fuse or use a fuse switch. It appears anytime that fuse is either pulled or "killed" with a fuse switch, you have to reprogram the GPS because it kills all power to the system.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #8

On 2007-2011 Honda CR-Vs they recommend pulling that fuse after you run the engine, go through the gears, and turn the key to accessory. You should put the fuse back in with the key still in the accessory position. Do not turn the key to the off position before replaacing the fuse.

My 2007 CR-V does not have the factory installed navigation. I have never pulled the fuse and have had no problem with the battery, but if I tow more than 200 miles I run the engine to charge the battery and build up the transmission fluid. I have towed CR-Vs this way over 108,000 miles.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
viper,

Can't help you with the GPS problem as my 2009 does not have that option. I have towed our CRV up to 12 hours without an engine restart on several occassions without battery drainage or transmission damage.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions- I think I have it figured out now!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe the "reason" for the pulling of the fuse is to avoid a battery discharge drain and then needing to jump start the toad to drive your toad. I have been using the TOAD-CHARGE and have had great luck. Give this a thought.

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote