Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Honda CRV toad

We just bought a new CRV and are installing a Blue Ox hitch but we wonder if we really need the aux braking device like Air force or the Road Master equivalent? Expensive to have installed. We have Discovery 39R.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #2

I use and highly recommend the Ready Brake or Ready Brute, purely for the simplicity of the design. Simple to use as well as install. You might want to check it out.

Regarding your question, I would have a braking system on anything I was pulling that was that heavy.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Trailer Life Directory

It is also important that the towbar is no more than 3-4 inches from being level when hooked to your rig. Don't what the towed vehicle to jacknife if a sudden stop were to occur.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just as it takes more HP/torque to move more weight it takes more braking power to stop it. The brakes on an RV are only tested and certified to stop the GVWR NOT the GCVWR.
Also, it is required in some states/provinces and there is no reciprocity on that so if ANY state/province you go through requires brakes then you must have them to be legal.
Another item is that some states may not require brakes, but they require a breakaway system that will stop the vehicle in a short distance. Figure out how to do that without a braking system?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the US Gear Unified brake system installed on our Honda CR-V... There's nothing to put in or take out once the unit is installed. Just hook up and tow. The tow vehicle charges the CRV's battery so you don't need to pull a fuse or anything.

There is an adjuster that mounts inside the tow vehicle so you can adjust the amount of braking from inside the tow vehicle. There is no tapping into the car's brake line, and everything is hidden from view. The braking is proportional to the amount of braking from the tow vehicle.

Unified Tow Brake
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We decided to put in an Air Force One. Expensive but should be trouble free. Taking it in tomorrow for the install and then the only thing left to do is a steering stabilizer until something else comes up.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
We decided to put in an Air Force One. Expensive but should be trouble free. Taking it in tomorrow for the install and then the only thing left to do is a steering stabilizer until something else comes up.
Steering stabilizer on the CR-V? I've never seen anyone post that they needed one. Or are you "talking" about the RV?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You really don't want to have 4000 lbs of unbraked toad pushing you along. Your stopping distances will be noticeably shorter with a toad brake, and someday that may be the difference between a crash or a safe stop.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We towed our CRV the first couple of years without a brake system with a gasser.

After the brake problems we had,(another story) we opted for the US Gear Unifed Brake system. Their design allowed us to easily transfer the system over to our freightliner chassis now.

Would not leave home without it. You will see a big difference imediately. And you are legal in all states!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had the once in a lifetime experience (I hope) when you needed everything braking----toad brakes made the difference. I'm so pleased I was prepared.

I do not regret the money it cost but I know I would have regretted not having one.

I read about a lot of people getting good used stuff on e-bay----my neighbor just took off for Tucson with all used equipment at about half/third of what I spent. He looked happy to me.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stabilizer is for the MH. I will have everything back late today with a Blue Ox 10,000 lb hitch and Air Force One brake system. Now we need the time to go somewhere.

Tags
toad