Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #1

Honda Fit

Has anyone installed their own baseplate on a Honda Fit. I was wondering if the job was to complicated or can the average person do it? I am going to use a roadmaster kit on it to match the tow bar I already have. Thanks Gayle
gseefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #2

Honda fit

I installed my own on our previous Honda CRV and had no problem. The procedure for the Fit is probably similar. There is a lot of plastic to remove to get down to the bumper area. The Roadmaster base plate brackets fit perfectly with no need for any alterations.

We are now towing a 2008 Fit and had the base plates installed due to time constraints. One thing you should know about the Fit is that it is very low to the ground. We have drug the front end several times and have worn off some of the plastic buttons that attach the bottom skid plate to the lower bumper area. Other than that towing the Fit has been great.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseefield View Post
Has anyone installed their own baseplate on a Honda Fit. I was wondering if the job was to complicated or can the average person do it? I am going to use a roadmaster kit on it to match the tow bar I already have. Thanks Gayle
A friend and I installed the Blue Ox baseplate. It took about 2 hours. The plastic must be removed from the front bumper. There are several videos on YouTube that show how this is done. I watched them several times to insure I understood the process. It was also very easy to hook into the taillights and there are videos on this as well. We had ramps to lift the front then the back. These helped. I don't know if the average person could do it, but an average do-it-yourselfer with a good internet connection can do it. I find a lot of average people are not do-it-yourselfers. However, RVers who are not do-it-yourself folks become DIY folks very quickly or they spend a ton of money. I find myself repairing and modifying things on my RV I'd never do on my house. Good luck,
pattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

Gayle-

Three pertinent links for you:

Having a Fit
Follow the leader
2009 Honda Fit: Roadmaster #521190-1 baseplate installation tips

I elected to have someone install the Roadmaster baseplate on our Fit, because I didn't have the indoor facilities to do the work (well). I did install the braking system (SMI Stay-in-Play Duo), the hitch connector, and the tail light system.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseefield View Post
If it's the 2015 or 16 then go to this page and click on the part number to see what the parts look like and see the install instructions, I have installed over 15 in the last 20 +yrs just get a blanket to lay the front clip on so as not to scratch the paint.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/vehicle...r_brackets.php
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Just because you may already have a Roadmaster tow bar I wouldn't rule out installing a Blue Ox baseplate. I have the adapter clevis ends on my Roadmaster tow bar to attach to my Blue Ox baseplate and it works great. They don't cost all that much. You should consider how high the attach points are on each base plate for the Honda Fit and how that matches the hitch height on your coach. This could have an impact on how big a drop down receiver you may need to keep the tow bar level. Also compare the different base plate installation instructions and see which looks best to you. IMO I don't care for the extra cross bar that you have to hang on the front of your car with the Roadmaster setup.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Community Moderator

i installed roadmaster base plate on 2010 fit myself. it's a snap. i remember after taking off skid, only two bolts to fasten.

as only you have a basic household diy skills such as changing light bulbs, doing regular car maintenance, etc, you will have no problem.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #8

Fit

I did install my 2012 Fit and took my time and just make sure to follow instructions and check all screws are removed,I did Blue Ox and drop down link.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote