Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Honda fit for toad

Anyone using a Honda Fit for their toad?. What type of braking system do you use? Getting ready to set mine up. Thanks in advance for the input.

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #2

Honda Fit for toad

We asked the same thing about our '95 Honda Accord. The dealer gave us an internal Honda memo stating the car could be towed four wheels down if you followed the proper procedure.
Been using the car for 8 years with over 10,000 miles being towed. No problem. Tried the Roadmaster brake system for a bit. Then figured since we were so lightly loaded in out 35ft Bounder @ 18500lbs, the brake system on the Bounder still has enough capacity. The Roadmaster worked well, but had a few glitches I wasn't comfortable with so we don't use it anymore.
Will suggest you remeber to turn of the radio, and HVAC controls to keep the battery in good condition. Also remember to turn car off at end of day. We pulled into a campground pull-thru one evening. Did not need to unhook the car, and forgot to turn the car off. Needed a jump the next morning.
Good luck. We haven't had a bit of trouble with the car in 8 years.

Mike
Hihopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #3

I have a 2010 Fit I will tow behind Four Winds Class C. We got the brake and towbar with the new to us Class C. It is a Roadmaster towbar with a Even Brake braking system, also by Roadmaster.

I cannot tell you how well that is working as I won't have the base plate and second car wiring unit installed until Nov 23. It seems everything else the prior owner did was first class, so I have high expectations.

As an aside, the original dealer sold Blue Ox and the original purchaser went next door to Camping World to be the Roadmaster stuff.

BTW Blue Ox has optional locks to keep your car from being stolen in the rest area, and replacement towbar attachment points that don'e stick out so far, and so you are less likely to bang your leg.

I haven't looked into Roadmaster yet, but I think I want the locks if I can get them for Roadmaster.

Good luck and safe travels
Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by genecurp View Post
I have a 2010 Fit I will tow behind Four Winds Class C.
Gene
Is your Fit a manual or auto trans?
I would love to buy a Fit if my Accord ever wears out.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #5

Don't want to hijack this thread. My Fit is auto transmisson and the owners manual gives the procedures to protect the transmission. Don't know about other model years other than 2010.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have towed our Fit behind our 39 ft Class A for over 10,000 miles. Great car all around. Amazing interior space and super mpg (40+ on hwy) and only about 2500 lbs to tow behind the Motor Coach. We use the Ready Brute tow bar with the surge brake system. Super simple system and better price point especially it you install your self. RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - Night Shift Auto

We also use a toad battery charger to keep the Fits battery charged while towing. I highly recommend it. We had some troubles even with everything turned off and did not want to go through the trouble of removing fuses etc. http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html

Greg
Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
Anyone using a Honda Fit for their toad?. What type of braking system do you use? Getting ready to set mine up. Thanks in advance for the input.

Dan
Dan I don't have a Fit yet, but Greg is right about the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. It is the most simple and non-invasive system around. I installed mine in the Accord with basic tools and a drill. I pull a fuse if I am towing a long distance, but the clock and radio anti-theft code has to be re-entered so be sure to have the radio code handy if you do this.

Greg, the tow'd charge controller set up looks very nice!
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote