Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can rent Jeeps in a lot of places out west. We have in several small mountain towns in Colorado. It's not cheap. We tow a wrangler for ease of towing, hooking up (yeah, the base plate is ugly, so what it's a Jeep), and we love to get out in the boonies.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I'd take the Honda over the Jeep any day for realibility.

ken

Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally, I'd take the Honda over the Jeep any day for realibility.

ken
Yeah, those Jeeps are just fallin apart. Let's take a look at 1980. That's only 30 years ago. First, if you can still find one-The Honda. Then take a peek at the 1980 Jeep. Which would you rather pull down the road?
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Keep in mind on the Honda, you have to run it after you tow it for so long. You also have to pull the fuse so you don't drain the battery. PIA..

I tow a Jeep Sahara 2010 4 door. No steering lock, Put the transaxle in neutral, put gear shift in first, pull the key out and LOCK the car, and away I go.

Use a Blue Ox tow bar, adjustable 10,000 lb limit. Blue Ox base plate, can hardly see the extensions coming out from bumper of Jeep. The Jeep also sits higher, less nicks from road debris hitting the tow vechicle.

Just my two cents...

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally regret buying new, the 2006 Jeep Liberty that we tow....

- quality problems. Transmission issues. And, ALL 4 window regulators have failed and had to be replaced at least TWICE. Add to that, the second time around, the perfectly good window glass had to be replaced too, because Jeep's new design for the regulators required it! approx $2000 cost there.

- Weight of over 4500 pounds. Not an issue if you are driving a DP, but my 38' gasser on a WH24 doesn't like it much on even the least hills. And I am a fanatic about not overloading my motorhome, I am about 800 pounds under the GVWR on the road.

- Jeep only gets about 19mpg on the highway driving gently.

- RARELY ever use 4wd.

In hindsight, I should have bought the smaller lighter Honda. (Our last honda lasted 12+ years and 200,000 miles properly maintained.)

FWIW
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
I personally regret buying new, the 2006 Jeep Liberty that we tow....

- quality problems. Transmission issues. And, ALL 4 window regulators have failed and had to be replaced at least TWICE. Add to that, the second time around, the perfectly good window glass had to be replaced too, because Jeep's new design for the regulators required it! approx $2000 cost there.

- Weight of over 4500 pounds. Not an issue if you are driving a DP, but my 38' gasser on a WH24 doesn't like it much on even the least hills. And I am a fanatic about not overloading my motorhome, I am about 800 pounds under the GVWR on the road.

- Jeep only gets about 19mpg on the highway driving gently.

- RARELY ever use 4wd.

In hindsight, I should have bought the smaller lighter Honda. (Our last honda lasted 12+ years and 200,000 miles properly maintained.)

FWIW
jack
You are so true, the Liberty has always been problematical. Wranglers are made of sterner stuff.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #21

We tow a Honda Fit and have done so for a lot of miles. It tows like a dream at only 2500 lbs or less. It is not much trouble to set up. It takes me about 3 - 4 minutes every morning. All you do is start the motor, shift into neutral then down shift one gear at a time to low. The you upshift back to neutral pausing in drive for a few seconds. Let it idle in neutral for 3-4 minutes. That's it. You don't pull any fuses or anything. I usually run through the routine and while it's idling I hook up the towbar, safety chains, breakaway cable, and power cord. By the time I'm done with that I can shut down the engine, leaving it in neutral with the ignition switch on and be ready to roll.

I have not had any problem with my battery even when we haven't driven the Fit for a couple of days. You don't have to run the car after you tow unless you are driving for more than 8 hours, then you go through the above routine again. Personally I would rather be sitting comfortably in camp having happy hour after about 5 -6 hours driving than trudging down the highway racking up miles. Honda also recommends you don't exceed 65 MPH but that's probably prudent anyway.

The only downside I have found with the Fit is it is like many new cars, very low to the ground. When you go through those concrete dips in the road designed to channel water, the front ends touches the ground. Our first trip out I ground off the plastic rivets that hold on the front belly pan. Not much of a problem to fix, I just replaced the plastic rivets with 1/4 inch steel bolts.

Additionally, the Fit has a huge cargo area for a small car. We hauled home two lazyboy recliners (twice) in ours, along with the requisite boxes of wine, water, etc. The legroom/headroom in the back seat had been adequate for all of our full size friends.

So I guess I would agree with others and vote to buy the Fit and rent the jeep when necessary.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Make no mistake about it the Honda FIT is a great little car. But I am in sales and have rented my share of cars before. Maybe it doesn't bother you but renting a car is a PIA.

I am one of those guys not intending to go 4 wheeling and sees a beautiful setting and says, I wonder where this road goes. Yep, two rivers and three mountain passes later, nowhere really, I better turn around. But it sure was fun.

The Jeep Wrangler is an Icon in the 4 wheeling industry. I got to say that my new Sahara rides great. I had my old 1994 Jeep Wrangler until March of this year. I did put on a waterpump, some new brake lines and a starter, but I think that was it. And I still sold it for $5K...

Good luck with your decision.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #23

Brian, we are Floridians and we are now 'out West' and just yesterday came off one of the most beautiful roads here in Rocky Mountain NP. The Old Fall River Road (11 miles of one way narrow dirt road with too many switch backs, waterfalls and shear rock cliffs to remember and ends at an altitude of almost 12,000 feet) is probably the most breath taking, scenically intoxicating roads I've ever been on. I would not have cared if I had a Honda (I've owned 2) that got a hundred mpg., the extra ground clearance and the FWD gives one the confidence not to miss out on a road like this(did I mention it was raining?). If your plans include some mild to intermediate off-roading, yeah, you'll be sorry 'it's not a Wrangler'.

In this, our first big RV adventure, I've found that 16 to 24 mpg will get you to places 32 to 40 never will! BTW, the '09 & '10 Wranglers have no steering wheel lock...BIG advantage over the '07 and '08's. Also, the '07 and newer Wranglers had some suspension changes made and the bigger wheel/tires, all of which made for a firm but 'kidney friendly' ride over earlier models. We LOVE ours! Good hunting! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #24

You can hire jeep on main street Moab, that said i would buy the jeep anyway
Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #25

Know this is getting long, but an additional thought. You may want to rent a jeep and try 4-wheeling. While we loved our Dodge Dakota 4x4, overall we did not care for 4-wheeling. Too rough for our liking. We have found with our CR-V and it "faux" all wheel drive that we can get anywhere our kidneys and backs can stand. High clearance is the big thing. We took our first generation Honda Odyssey many off-road places (some where we shouldn't) and made it back. Our current Odyssey, no way. Will barely clear a skunk. I am a fan of the Honda and the CR-V though personally don't care for current style. We've had ours seven years, 94,000 miles and no maintenance issues yet (knocking on wood). Happy travels.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I love my 2000 wrangler. It's a natural to tow, and at 214,000 miles so far, probably more reliable and long lived than anything Honda has even thought of, much less done.

That said, it's shiort, tall, and bumpy. No highway cruiser by any stretch of the imagination, uh huh. And they get truly lousy gas mileage.
Oh BTW, real jeeps go around topless. My hardtop is in storage, where it belongs, the softop waiting ready for it to rain hard enough to get me to stop and erect it.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I have owned and towed 4 Jeeps. First was a 1951 Willes, second was a 1992 Wrangler and I now own a 2003 2 dr Rubicon and a 2009 4 dr Unlimited Rubicon. Nothing but great service out of all of them. Fun to drive and handy to have if ever the 4 wheel drive is needed. They all also had wenches on them. Have pulled out stuck cars , trucks and even a couple of motorhomes including my own motorhome "opps". But then again it is " A JEEP THING ".
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #28

I didn't realize "wenches" were optional equipment on jeeps, but hey, if they can pull out stuck cars and trucks, maybe we all should opt for one.

By the way I drive and tow a Honda Fit but the DW is lobbying for a jeep. So I guess a jeep is in our future.

Dave