Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #29

I tow Jeeps. BUY AMERICAN!!!
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #30

Rhetorically, what is American. Nameplate or place vehicle is final manufactured? Is my Honda Odyssey American or foreign? Built in Birmingham, AL. Or Chrysler of which I believe Jeep is still apart of, now owned by Fiat. American or foreign?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #31

Yea, not as easy as it used to be.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's our sad story . . . we traded our 1991 Jeep Wrangler (rag top) for a 2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4. The Liberty is nice, more comfortable for the grandkids, easier to get in and out of the backseat with the four doors, gets better gas mileage and we can still go off road in it . . . . but it "ain't" a Wrangler! We are currently shopping for a 2010 Jeep Rubicon.

Anyone need a good Liberty? lol
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we got a Wrangler Sahara 4 dr as a toad and love it.
Takes about ten minutes to get it on the back of the MH and we re off.
We re very happy with it.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
BUY AMERICAN!!
I agree. Honda Fit small box made %100 in Japan

Jeep Wrangler cool 4X4, time tested, made in Toledo.

I am surprised to see WW II vets driving foreign (made overseas or in your basement I don't care) brand cars from nations we fought against.

Flame suit on!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #35

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi:

I am a VN ..Vet.... Mh Itasca aka Winnie.... Tow.... Jeep Wrangler Sahara.... Bikes (2) Harley Davidsons.. personal car Dodge Charger...

I did have an Infinity & Acura before our economy went to hell in a hand basket. Back to American Made if I can help it.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #36

We used to tow a Buick behind us wherever we went. We also rented a Jeep for off roading or took tours on at least half a dozen occasions. One time we had to go 80 miles each way to pick up and return a rental. Besides all the hassle of renting it also seemed kinda pointless to tow a vehicle along then rent another one when we reached our destination.

In 2004 we finally decided it would be a better plan to buy a Jeep to tow along. Since then we've taken it with us to Alaska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Newfoundland and a bazillion other 4 wheel drive hot spots. We've only racked up 24,000 miles on the odometer, but it's traveled another 50,000 miles behind the motorhome to get to those out of the way spots.

Spend your money the way you see fit. In our case taking our own Jeep simplified things and gave us more time to enjoy what we went for in the first place. It's also allowed us to take advantage of some opportunities we weren't aware of when we originally planned our trips.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #37

I think the line is
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #38

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeep

This has been a great thread, because we also are looking to purchase a Toad. However, our 32V Fleetwood Southwind only has a towing of 5,000 lbs - it looks like my dream jeep (wrangler 4 door unlimited) is very close to the maximum weight.

We really need a 4 door, I really love the jeep, but am worried about the weight. We'd also like to hitch the bicycles to the back of the jeep.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
PH:

Your 4 door Jeep will run aproximately 4200 lbs. That's what mine says in the manul. I just weighed my 2010 4 door Jeep sahara on the scales at Flying J and it was almost 4500 lbs. But it was ATTACHED to the motorhome. That could account for the heavier weight.

Just an FYI...

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #40

Thanks for all of the helpful responses.

I actually just saw this Jeep, and I have to say, it swayed me a little. Saw it at a hiking trail head, and it looks like tons of fun. Meanwhile, I don't love the idea of scraping the bottom of the Fit on uneven terrain. But the Fit still has many advantages, and we're still undecided. Fortunately, we don't have to make a decision any time soon. But we can't tow until we change cars, and towing would be nice.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #41
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I am also going to say Jeep! I am on my second one first was 95 Wrangler Rio Grand now 04 Wrangler X! Here are some reasones I think it is the best toad! 1) Easy to tow 4 down with no mods! 2) It can go anywhere you want which = lots of fun & adventur! 3) Without roof & doors you will find nothing better for sightseeing! Also as far as renting goes, I would think if you read the fine print in the contract you might be afraid to even take it off road! I rented a dune buggy in Fla once, I realy had to think if I wanted to drive it on the sand,LOL!!! I did then before I returned it I had to get off the beach a hour and half before I had to return it! This was to make sure it was clean enought to return it, and get my deposit back!! Hope this helps some, and best of luck with what ever you end up with!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have towed our Honda Fit for over 9,000 miles and driven it for about 12,000 miles. Great great car for this purpose. Only 2500 lbs to be towed and 40+ mpg on hwy and 33+ city. Has a huge cargo area with back seat down. Handles great and did well on medium off road stuff -- in Monument Valley on Navajo res. on dirt roads w. some deep loose dirt. I put a hitch receiver on back of the Fit and have a bicycle rack that hooks to the receiver. I owned Jeeps for 20 years (89 Cherokee and 97 Grand Cherokee) and loved them but I don't need them with their mpg of 12-18. The price of gas is only going to go up!! On my recent trip to Florida for 3 months in Naples it was 1,000 miles each way at 7 to 7.5 mpg for motor home and 1,000 miles in Naples area w. the Fit at 33-35 so my average fuel use for the 3 months was over 15. I could have driven my jeep to Florida w/o MH and done just a little better but would have had to rent a place to live $$$.