Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Honda Fit or Jeep Wrangler?

We're in need of a tow vehicle. Our current car is not something we can tow 4 on the ground. In fact, we can't tow 2 down either. So we're looking to replace it. Our first idea was to favor small, light and fuel efficient - thus our consideration for the Honda Fit. We like the car, and think it will serve all of our needs. Well, almost all of our needs.

We're now wondering, after having been RVing for three months straight (and three month's total), whether we'll want something with more clearance and off-road capabilities. Right now we're spending our time on the east coast, where I don't think we'll need a Jeep, but one day soon we will head west where I imagine it will come in handy.

So I 'm trying to plan ahead. The advantages of the Fit are that it is cheaper, lighter and more fuel efficient. All big pluses. But I'm looking from guidance from people who've done this longer. Will I regret not having a Jeep?

Thanks.
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Brian and welcome to IRV2 forum.

I can't speak to the Honda, although I've owned some and love their products, but I'm towing a 2008 Wrangler myself and so you would understand if I'm prejudiced toward that option.

What makes the Wrangler such a good choice is both it's off road capability and the ease of switching it to tow mode. Since it has an "old-fashioned" transfer case at a time when lots of 4x4's have gone to more sophisticated drive trains, you only need to hook up, put the TC in neutral, and you're good to go. I also put a battery disconnect on mine to turn off all the juice since, on my 2008, you have to leave the key in the ignition to keep the front wheels from locking up. The disconnect serves the purpose of keeping the battery from running down, turning off the odometer so the miles don't register, and adding a little bit of extra "theft deterrent".

Our Wrangler is a four door and we really love the convenience of having that extra access and extra space.

We have the LTD edition, but you can upgrade to the Sahara or the Ribicon if you are a serious off-road buff.

What we enjoy here in Texas is being able to get in the jeep and explore all the back roads without having to worry about the condition of the road, getting stuck, etc. We also have a small "ranchette" out in the hill country and we use it on that property to get up and down the hills.

We have about 13,000 miles on the jeep over three years of driving and about another 15,000 miles towing with no problems to date.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #4

Those two vehicles are so different in would be hard to make a realistic comparison. I would lean towards the Jeep unless the Fit's road clearance is above average. I haven't seen a dirt road I didn't want to drive. Our CRV works great for this and, knock on wood, has not required any unscheduled maintenance in 100K. So the Jeep for road clearance and the FIT for all the things Honda does well. In the end, I am no help, am I?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I tow an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and love it, It is our second Wrangler. If you are looking for great gas milige go with the Fit...if you are looking for fun and adventure go with the Jeep.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #6

Wrangler IMHO.... Fit's are more of a compact car, so I would think they wouldn't be near as good for towing.
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Those two vehicles are so different in would be hard to make a realistic comparison.
Agreed. But I guess my real question is: will I regret not having a Jeep when I go west? Which is what I probably should have asked without introducing the Fit in to the conversation at all.

Thanks again, for your help.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #8

You can always rent a Jeep in places where one would be fun, especially if the FIT is a better choice for the majority of your travel.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
You can always rent a Jeep in places where one would be fun, especially if the FIT is a better choice for the majority of your travel.
Great point! The lower cost of the Fit would pay for more Jeep rentals than I will probably want over the course of the car's useful life.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Great point! The lower cost of the Fit would pay for more Jeep rentals than I will probably want over the course of the car's useful life.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

I love my Wrangler!! Especially when I want to fill my need for off roading.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Where can you rent Jeep's besides Moab Utah?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Where can you rent Jeep's besides Moab Utah?
Hmmm, it would be a monkey wrench in the gears of that plan if I couldn't actually rent one anywhere . . . guess I'll have to check into that
Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWandering View Post
Hmmm, it would be a monkey wrench in the gears of that plan if I couldn't actually rent one anywhere . . . guess I'll have to check into that
Just check rental car places to see if they have Jeep rentals. Do you need to go offroad? Without reading all of the threads can the fit be towed without modifications. I have an 06 Honda Pilot that cannot be towed but I have heard that you can tow the 05 Pilot. I have had 3 Hondas, all have been flawess, and 2 Wranglers also flawless. We love to go explore in the back country and the Jeep is perfect for that. I would recomend you drive the Jeep to see if you like it. The X model and Sahara models ride smoother than the Rubicon but if you want to spend time in the back country look at the Rubi. I do recomend the hard top much quieter and better insulated for cold weather.