Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Honda FIT questions

I asked a few weeks ago if the Honda FIT can be towed flat and was advised that it could.

We since purchased an 2011 Fit and traded in our 2007 CRV. My questions to any FIT owners ......is the tow procedure the same as the CRV ?? .
The CRV had to be started in park......dropped into 1 ( for 10 sec's ).....then 2 ( for 10 sec's ) then D ( for 10 sec's ).....then N. Place the key in ACC......and u where good to go...
I had a battery disconnect switch on the negative side of the CRV battery that I would open when I towed to prevent any draw on the battery.

Can I also install the disconnect switch on the negative post of the FIT battery ??

Thanks for any replies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Belladog-

The procedure for preparing your Fit for flat towing is in your owner's manual.

As far as a battery disconnect is concerned, I don't know as the braking system I installed in our 2009 Fit required 12V to run. So, I installed a charge line between coach and the Fit. As your Aspect appears to be built on the Ford Class C cutaway chassis, you should find a live, fused 12V charge line pin in the 7-pin receptacle on the coach.

Mark

Old 12-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

i have never towed a crv, so don't know if the procedures are the same.

i have towed my fit for 20kmi by now. i always do this -

when engine is cold,
1) start engine
2) shift to R, run for 5-10 seconds
3) shift to N, run for 5-10 seconds
4) shift to D, run for 5-10 seconds
5) shift to S, run for 5-10 seconds
6) shift to D, run for 5-10 seconds
7) shift to N, run for >3 minutes
8) turn the key to acc (engine is off, but the key can't be pulled out)
9) get out, lock the doors (with another key), get on mh, and go...

when engine is hot,
reduce the runtime for 7) to 10 seconds (trans is already lubed, no need to run full length).

as only as you follow the procedure you will be fine. the key point is - you must go from D to N (never go from R to N)!!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #4

Thanks Countryfit.....that's basically the same procedure as my CRV was. I need to download a owners manual for this toad when I get the time.

Today UPS is delivering my Blue Ox base plate and a buddy of mine who has a lift in his garage offered to help with the install. I plan also to do a separate bulb for brake/directional ( inside the light capsule ) like I did on the CRV.

Hope all goes well.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #5

Belladog-

Keep us posted, especially on the extra bulb thing. It didn't occur to me to use one; I went instead with a harness option.

Mark
Old 12-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

will do.....

The CRV had plenty of room in the " RED " lens capsule for an extra socket and bulb ( 1157 ). We took the light capsule out yesterday on the FIT and its a little tight being a smaller car...........BUT doable.

I'm not a fan of using the diode pack.....I don't like messing with factory wiring ( just me )....so hopefully we can do it the other way.

I also seen this unit that is now available......but costly

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-NV-5164-.../dp/B00G9SB45M
Old 12-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Honda Fit Sport Automatic. The start up is easy - start in Park, shift to Neutral. I leave it in Neutral as I do other things around the coach. Then shft to Drive for at least 30 seconds and then back to Neutral. There is no other gear positions available on the Sport model so it is just Drive and Neutral. You are ready to go.

I use a ToadCharge system to keep the battery charged and I use TowDaddy diode system for the lights. All systems have been working fine since 2012.

Key is left in position 1 to unlock the steering, radio and fan off, no fuses need to be pulled while using the ToadCharge. You can lock the car with the key in the ignition by using the driver's side external door lock.

I use a RVi brake system which works really well as the Fit has a floor pan. Just set the system in the floor pan, connect everything, push the auto start, and when it is done, drive away.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Belladog-

I had the same concerns about cutting into the factory wiring as you do. The harness option which I used and for which I provided a link is entirely plug-and-play. No wire cutting or splicing is needed at the tail lights. The factory connectors remain intact. The harness can be bypassed or removed completely should a problem occur or you sell the car.

That said, I did find the crimp connections on the harness weak, and the left-to-right side wiring too short. I replaced the crimps, and lengthened the wires in the process.

One other benefit hidden in the TowDaddy harness design is the "blue" wire (it may actually be black). This is the one that carries the brake light activation signal to the front of the Fit. I passed that signal through the 7-wire cable between Fit and coach, and forward through the factory-provided (your coach should have it, too) wiring to the dash. There I installed a 12V LED, so I could know the braking system was working (other than feeling it through the hitch).

Mark
Old 12-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the Honda Fit info! I'm bookmarking all these threads...
Old 12-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

Almost done......

......next is to do a little trimming of the bumper and re-install it...

More pics to follow
Old 12-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Finally finished..........

We installed 2- separate 1157 bulb sockets in the " clear " lens capsules with a " RED " 1157 LED bulb....this way the tow lights are totally separate from the vehicle light system and there's no need for a diode pack . Also had to build a plate ( diamond plate ) to fit the metal 4 pin connector . The Blue Ox kit comes with a plastic 6 pin connector that's larger.

Total installation time was about 11 hours and a few skinned knuckles. NOT BAD
Old 12-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #12

Just a quick update......

We recently returned from the first trip with our new toad ( Fit )....and all went very well. It made a big difference towing the Fit over the old CRV at more then 1,000 lbs lighter. Haven't checked ....but I may even get a LITTLE better gas mileage.....

Overall we are very pleased with the new toad....and it even fits our 2 bikes inside the car. My wife said " maybe that's why they call it a FIT .

Thanks everyone for all the input......

Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

So you can tow a AUTOMATIC fit 4 down? Would this apply to a Accord or Civic automatic 4 down?
Old 12-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #14

Yes.....our Fit is a 2011.....automatic ....and it tows 4 down.

All 2015 Honda automatic products are NO LONGER towable 4 down with the new CVT transmission.

Check your owners manual or with a local Honda dealer if the Accords and Civics are flat towable.

Tags
honda