Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #1

Honda Fit the Worst

Just read in USA Today that the Honda Fit was dead last in all small cars tested in crash test. And rated the most deadly!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"dead last" or dead first?

A person can only be so dead and more likely to be so in a front crash in any of these very small vehicles it seems at least according to a synopsis of the article on msn search engine this morning. In the crash test of 11 such vehicles the Chevy Spark was the only one to get a crash safety rating; not bad for Chevy and a little surprising for Honda.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a FIT because our first Class C had only a 3500 pound tow rating which greatly limited our choice of toad. We always felt really nervous driving it on the freeway. When we traded up to a Class A we immediately sold the FIT and bought a CR-V which feels much safer.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #4

I just spec'd out a Fit to be pulled behind a class C (to be bought in the next 10 years) the other night...it was fun to dream. I never thought of Honda producing an unsafe car.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

I wonder how the '69 beetle, 74 MG Midget, 72 Karmen Ghia that I drove like crazy would fare on these tests? I felt perfectly safe in all of them but I was young then.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I wonder how the '69 beetle, 74 MG Midget, 72 Karmen Ghia that I drove like crazy would fare on these tests? I felt perfectly safe in all of them but I was young then.
I bet you didn't even have seat belts or airbags in any of them!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

Liking the 2014 manual transmission Subaru Crosstrek more and more. Not one of those in this test, but it got a solid string of Good ratings when the IIHS tested it. At just a hair over 3K lbs, it's about 500 lbs heavier than the Fit, but still very reasonable for towing.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
They had the guy on the TV talking about the testing they did. First thing he said was "The biggest thing against these cars is they are all so light, there's no weight to them" I stopped listening to him after that. We bought the Fiat Abarth for not only being able to tow it 4 down but also because it is only 2,500 lbs.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
And rated the most deadly!
That seems an overreaction. Frontal impact crashes represent 59 percent of passenger vehicle "tow-away" crashes and result in 38 percent of passenger-vehicle occupant fatalities. 25% of frontal crash deaths are due to small overlap crashes. Hence, less than one in ten fatalities are due to small overlap crashes. There are about 40,000 automobile crash deaths a year. There are now more than 300 million people in the U.S. If you drive for 50 years your chance of dying in a car crash is 1 in 100. Considering this, read the test details and measurements to get a better idea of actual risk.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

I still love my Fit. I just won't crash it!!! And if I do your welcome to say "told you so".
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There's one good thing about them. You don't have to buy a casket! They can just dig the hole a little bigger and in you go!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
It is basic physics. When a large/heavy object meets a small/light object, the small object always will lose.

No amount of testing, or airbags, or insurance will change this.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #13

Read this article before making judgements:

http://fw.to/CvTsZ8j
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
So just cause I checked the safety ratings for our 2013 Fiat Abarth .... 4 and 5 stars on all tests for it at the NHTSA. And for the IIHS the ratings were all "Good", which is their highest rating. And in case you were curious the Abarth got the same ratings for 2014 for the same tests done.
So the IIHS adds a new test and now the Abarth is considered "Horrible" because of 1 part of the testing? Not in my book, we will continue to drive it and consider ourselves as safe as you can be in a moving body of metal.