Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Honda Odyssey - 2007 as toad. One year later

I know there are a lot of opinions out there when discussing the issue of towing some vehicles.

Over a year ago I elected to set up my 2007 Touring model as a toad. The base plate was readily available from Blue Ox and the installation was a bit tedious and would have gone very smoothly had I not put a ding in the AC unit.

Yup - just enough of a ding that it was barely leaking so off I went to purchase the replacement. Removal and installation of that was easy and recharging later went smoothly.

Re-installation of the front end parts and lights was relatively easy however a bit tedious, but worked out. I took my time just to make sure everything was where it is supposed to be.

Now - after towing the Honda last year and again this year I sure wish I had done this a long - long time ago. My wife has back issues and two surgeries, and this is by far the easiest vehicle for her to enter and exit.

Towing --- no issues. Have towed it a couple thousand miles thus far. I follow the guide for procedures and have had no problems, no dead battery or anything.

One issue I have to deal with is ------ the base plate has a rather narrow angle for hookup - that is the space between the removable hookup is shorter than most and this creates a bit of issue should one stop to unhook and not be absolutely straight.

Another issue I chose to sidestep is tail and brake lights. I chose to invest extra to buy the removable magnetically attached lights I pop onto the rear of van each time. The wireless signal is from the plug on rear of Motorhome and the lights are individually set. One is Left and one is Right. The lights are Lithium battery powered and are easily recharged by plugging into the cigarette lighter outlet. They will run for more than one day of towing though and work beautifully --- and no alterations to the vehicle lighting system.

The Honda is far heavier then my other toads - and I "can" tell it is back there even with my 34,000 coach pulling it. But just barely. I keep the rear camera on 100% of the time to monitor it. The effect on my mileage seems to be minor - I still average 9.2 mpg overall regardless, however thus far have not had to contend with mountains yet.

Guess the only thing I would change, IF it were to become available, is IF Honda started making the Odyssey with the new advanced Diesel engine - I would be trading soon.

No problems, however IF I do end up with some because of the Towing of it I will simply repair what needs repaired and continue on.

God Bless

Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad it is working for you. Our 02 has been a great toad. It is in good shape so plan to pull it for a few more years.
What are you pulling it with that get 9.2 MPG?

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
I could give you the whole story on our legal dealings with Honda over towing our '05 Ody but I won't go into it again.
I towed the Ody about 300 miles before I found that Honda quit allowing them to be towed four down. So we used their money to buy a dolly and used it since 2007. Did try it four down again last year from WA to Phoenix and back. New battery ran down three times, tires worn on the edges enough to require replacement (got lucky and got a warranty pro-rate from Costco). Took the Ody to Honda and had an alignment done.
Just last week I installed a charge line and we took off for the weekend towing four down. Jury is still out on towing four down as it doesn't follow the MH's tracks around corners requiring me to leave more space on the inside of the turn and I'm not sure about tire wear. We only went about 70 miles one way so no way to tell if the charge line will cure the dead battery.
We towed our previous '95 Ody on a dolly it's whole life and several other Honda's since too.
Also towed a '97 Jeep GC for thousands of miles too. The Jeep was the easiest to tow but it sure wasn't economical to run.
Since 1988 the only non-Honda we've had was the Jeep.
I've wired the lights using the RoadMaster diodes which work well.
Honda even tried to tell me the poor radio reception was due to the lights being wired in. Found a magazine article that described the same problem and finally got them to at least replace the antenna wire by promising to pay for it if it didn't cure the radio problems. It did the trick.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
The input is appreciated, and respected, because each one of us have different uses and viewpoints.

My excursions are now very limited because of several reasons. One is because of wife's illness (not to mention mine too), which often requires we remain close to medical facilities (that know and are dealing with her issues).

Another is a business issue, as I had sold my business to eldest son quite some time ago. I put him in charge of the business in 2007 and then finally sold it to him on a contract in Feb 2012. But - by that fall I began discovering serious financial issues with the company - and in short the son absolutely refused to let me help him. I ended up resuming control of the company and as a result of the mismanagement issues we eventually lost nearly 2/3 of our long time clients.

So - I had to go back to work and that has kept me busy since then. Rebuilding is hard work, however we are now running at 2/3 of original business and projecting to return to the 100 % level by sometime this coming winter.

Aside from that - we use the motorhome and tow the Odyssey about once a month and go somewhere. The coach we have is the 2001 Monaco Dynasty with the Cummins 370. It does really well on mileage - and I don't really baby it, however I do not run with the pack.

God Bless

Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote