Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

HONDA RIDGELINE as TOAD

I searched, but did not see any threads on Honda Ridgeline as a tow vehicle. Currently have a CRV, that tows well, but just not happy with the ride. Any info you may have on towing the Ridgeline would be appreciated. Have several un answered questions: 1) Are all Ridgelines AWD? 2) Can they be towed all 4 down, without damage to transmission? 3) Is the Ridgeline as dependable as other Honda models?(Have owned 3 CRV's with no issues.) 4) Ridgeline fuel mileage?
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
According to the Motor Home magazines 2013 Guide to Dingy Towing, the Honda Ridgeline is not listed as a 4 down capable tow vehicle. Only the CRV and Fit are.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

I bought one of the first ones that came out in 2005.
1) Yes, all Ridgelines are AWD
2) My owners manual is Very clear that it cannot be towed 4 down. Must be picked up and carried on a truck.
3) My Ridgeline is the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. Over 40 years, that includes one Chevy, a couple of Fords, a Lincoln, a Dodge Caravan (the worst), a Toyota and a Honda Accord.
4) Ridgeline fuel mileage? Tracks with the EPA estimate for the most part. I use Fuelly.com and with 84,000 miles now, my overall average is 17. Worst 12.5 and best 21.7. No towing.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

Looks like I will be keeping the CRV for a while. Would like a Jeep, but use the toad as a daily driver when home. Don't think the Jeep would be comfortable enough for us on long(over 100 mile) trips. Any suggestions as to other models along the lines of Ridgeline would be appreciated. Thanks.
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ridgeline

We owned a 2006 Ridgeline. We towed a 21 ft 4000 lb trailer with it. We loved the Ridgeline, with 120,000 miles it was like new..........we've owned many vehicles, some very luxurious, the Ridgeline is my favorite of all time. The under bed trunk was a great feature. Alas......we wanted a larger trailer, which meant a larger truck. If we win the lottery I'm buying another Ridgeline to use around town.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have had a lot of different toads over the years but the recient toads 03 Honda Element we found the seats super comfortable but the ride choppy and noisy, 2010 Chevy Equinox 4 cyl good ride and fuel milage but also noisy, 2011 Ford Edge comfortable good power fair fuel milage best all around toad we have ever had but i got the hots for a truck , wish i had just bought the truck kept the Edge insted of trading it. There are a lot of good toads out there but for me and my DW its the Edge hands down for fair fuel milage comfort quiet ride and the back hatch for shopping.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

I would test drive a Jeep Wrangler... I find it more comfortable than my BMW X5. The Wrangler drives like a Cadillac compared to it... guess which one I drive more.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

For me, reliability is a biggy. Consumer Reports doesn't paint a pretty picture for Wranglers. True, our CR-V has a lot of road noise. But my 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland, off-road vehicle of the year and a superb ride on pavement, had the heater replaced, the full-time 4wd system rebuilt, a power window replaced, and for a period of time, blew fuses controlling the back lights at a madding rate. The final straw was when it started blowing O2 sensors (hence kicking on the check engine light) when it idled on a slope, such as a boat ramp. With less than 85,000 miles on it. And then there's resale. Honda's routinely get criticized for road noise. But, I can accept that to get their reliability and value.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
I would test drive a Jeep Wrangler... I find it more comfortable than my BMW X5. The Wrangler drives like a Cadillac compared to it... guess which one I drive more.
We have a 2012 X5d. Have to agree, can't get very comfortable in it. We have the sport seats and suspension. But the mileage and handling is quite good and the torque on the diesel is amazing.

On the other hand our 2012 Ridgeline is much more comfortable. Unfortunately neither can be towed 4 down behind our Georgetown.
s2kdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #10

We tow an older accord v6. Great ride and not much road noise.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #11

Anyone pulling a Ridgeline four down behind their MH? Read this thread with interest, but aren't a few RVers pulling a Ridgeline as a Toad/Dinghy behind their MH? The Ridgeline appears to be mechanically similar to the Pilot and I've seen several of those being towed (both have VTM-4 AWD trans, except the RL appears to have lower gearing). It's also pertinent that the 2005 Acura MDX with the VTM-4 was approved by Honda for Dinghy towing, whereas the 2006 with no mechanical changes was not approved. What am I missing that makes the Pilot work good, from an engineering/mechanical perspective, as a Toad/Dinghy, but not the Ridgeline other than misinformation?
AppleUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleUser View Post
Anyone pulling a Ridgeline four down behind their MH? Read this thread with interest, but aren't a few RVers pulling a Ridgeline as a Toad/Dinghy behind their MH? The Ridgeline appears to be mechanically similar to the Pilot and I've seen several of those being towed (both have VTM-4 AWD trans, except the RL appears to have lower gearing). It's also pertinent that the 2005 Acura MDX with the VTM-4 was approved by Honda for Dinghy towing, whereas the 2006 with no mechanical changes was not approved. What am I missing that makes the Pilot work good, from an engineering/mechanical perspective, as a Toad/Dinghy, but not the Ridgeline other than misinformation?
Ridgeline owners manual says vehicle may not be towed in any manner. Only have vehicle transported on flat bed. May not be towed 4 down or 2 down.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Ridgeline owners manual says vehicle may not be towed in any manner. Only have vehicle transported on flat bed. May not be towed 4 down or 2 down.

Thanks, for the reply, but what's the engineering/mechanical reason? Honda writes that "may not be towed" wording about other models, too, but they're often towed without problems insofar as the owners are careful to follow the "CR-V" instructions/steps. Blue Ox at one time sold a baseplate for 2006-2010 Ridgelines, and it's still available from third parties. Again, anyone out there using a Ridgeline for a Toad/Dinghy?
AppleUser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad