Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Honda Tow Car

Anyone towing a newer Civic (standard) 4 wheels down? Looks like Honda doesn't say you can but I've been towing an 02 Accord (standard) with no problems and they say the same thing about that model.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 2000 Accord auto with no problem, and as you stated there is nothing in the owners manual stating that it's OK to do so. This question has come up before and the general consensus is Honda did not perform 4 down testing on many of it's models. As far as I know there is 4 down towing info available for the Honda Fit and CRV. I don't see any reason why you would not be able to tow a standard trans Civic 4 down. It might be worth your time to call Honda headquarters in Torrance CA and see what they have to say. The number should be in your owners manual.
I just checked Remco's site, according to their application chart the Civic is towable as is.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Honda toad

We have towed our 2004 Honda Pilot since it was new. The owner's manual states it is flat towable up to 65 mph for 8 hours at a time. We started the car and cycled through the gears every few hours while on the road. Good luck. (BTW, our Pilot is for sale in the classified ad section.)
Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltampa View Post
We have towed our 2004 Honda Pilot since it was new. The owner's manual states it is flat towable up to 65 mph for 8 hours at a time.
I sometimes grin when I see these suggestions by manufacturers.

"Up to xyz time", like as IF one more hour would break the thing.

I suspicion most of this has to do with their lack of actual testing, and the one test they did, happened to be for about 8 hours.

I think that stopping for a rest break, and starting up the engine to move some oil around in the tranny is good thing. It can't hurt anything, and might be good.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
I sometimes grin when I see these suggestions by manufacturers.

"Up to xyz time", like as IF one more hour would break the thing.

I suspicion most of this has to do with their lack of actual testing, and the one test they did, happened to be for about 8 hours.
In the case of Honda, I think they have done some testing. They were the subject of a class action lawsuit over transmission and rear differential failures in first gen. ('97-'01) CRV's used for 4 down towing. They extended the warranty coverage, and issued the current guidelines as a result.

As a general rule, 2 wheel drive with standard transmissions are fine for towing with the drive wheels down. The transmissions are lubricated by oil splash inside as the wheels turn. Automatic transmissions built after 1960 do not have rear pumps that are driven by the wheels through the driveshafts, and therefore are lubed internally by the front pump that is engine-driven. That is why you need to start the engine.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
In the case of Honda, I think they have done some testing. They were the subject of a class action lawsuit over transmission and rear differential failures in first gen. ('97-'01) CRV's used for 4 down towing. They extended the warranty coverage, and issued the current guidelines as a result.
I was a party to that class action lawsuit because I had a 99 CR-V. Honda told me to send them a copy of the motorhome registration (to prove I had a motorhome) and a copy of a sales receipt for the tow bar (to prove I towed the CR-V). I sent the copies and Honda extended my transmission warranty a few years.

Honda's problem was they left out a step in the owners manual for preparing the CR-V to tow. The step they left out caused transmission failures. It didn't affect me because I had a copy of the correct procedure I had been following.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Been towing a 2009 Civic MT, 4 down, for past 6 months, or about 8K miles towing. Remco site said tow "as is". When towing I don't pull any fuses, just make sure the radio is turned off. Never had a weak battery yet.

Using a Roadmaster base plate with the EZ type brackets. I installed it myself and it was Really easy to install. Took about 2 hours. Hardest part was deciding where and how to cut the front valence for the EZ brackets.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
As a general rule, 2 wheel drive with standard transmissions are fine for towing with the drive wheels down. The transmissions are lubricated by oil splash inside as the wheels turn.
Maybe, maybe not. Some standard transmissions are lubed by splash from the input shaft (engine side). They do not get lubed if the engine isn't running. Only your manufacturer can tell you for sure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Commander...That would be a yes for us. We no longer have the Civic but are now using and towing a CRV. Changed cause we wanted a taller, larger vehicle, so we would not feel like we were getting in an sitting on the ground. Know what I mean? We towed the 2006 Civic MT for 5 years. 4 down. Wore out a set of tires on the Civic, we towed it so much. NEVER had any issues. The Civic did just great! On a side note the Civic always turned a reliable 34 MPG and the small fuel tank never cost an arm and the leg to fill up!

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote