Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 AM   #15

My Equinox is equipped with the surround or Bird’s eye vision camera system. Put the car in reverse to enable the vision system on the dash display and then into drive (which switches the display to the front vision camera) and slowly pull up to the coach. The front camera display shows the tow bar in relation to the car and you can easily center the car and pull up to the correct position each and every time. I highly recommend optioning this system on new toads because it makes solo hookups so easy in addition to the manufacturer intended uses.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 AM   #16

I always hookup and unhook by myself. After doing it once or twice you learn when to stop at “arms length”. Every now and then you’ll blow it, and then have to move the toad a bit. Takes about 5 minutes max to attach the arms, safety chains, brake cable, power cable. As far as checking lights, the simple thing to do is turn on the MH lights before you start, and then walk behind the toad when done to see if the lights are getting power.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #17

Always hook solo . Turn on parking lights and left signal,next right signal finally 4 ways for brake lights.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
The toad brake lamps are checked while testing the Brake Buddy.
Sorry Tony but testing the brake buddy will not tell you if the connection from the coach to the toad is good. It will ONLY tell you the the brake buddy is pushing on the pedal and the lights work.

The test MUST be initiated from the coach brake pedal to test the connection.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #19

Thanks all,

I don't envisage hooking up solo but it is something I would like to be able to do in a pinch.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
NOTE - UNHOOKING.

When I unhook, I set the parking brake and put the toad in gear, then disconnect everything.

HOWEVER, the safety cables are the last thing that gets disconnected, just in case the toad decides to roll backwards, the cables will catch it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #21

Waiter 21, you set the toad parking brake and put it in gear, Why?, What Gear?. I think most people would set the brake and put it in Park, or neutral. Just curious.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #22

I always hook up solo. The only times I have overlooked something is when someone has helped me. If someone else is around or stops to visit. Stop and talk with them, but don't do both. Distraction from a routine is what causes mistakes or missed steps.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo, toad