Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
The brake light can override the turn signal. If using the same bulb and or if using separate bulbs in the same lens.

Apply the Coach turn signal, Watch the TOADS turn signal, have someone step on the Toads brake, can you still see the flashing?
I think there are very few situations where the toad brakes will be activated at the same time the coaches turn signal is also on. The autostop works by inertia of the toad when the coach's brakes are applied. The toad brakes rarely come on at low speed as when you are slowing down before a turn. This does not seem to me to be a major issue.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I think there are very few situations where the toad brakes will be activated at the same time the coaches turn signal is also on. The autostop works by inertia of the toad when the coach's brakes are applied. The toad brakes rarely come on at low speed as when you are slowing down before a turn. This does not seem to me to be a major issue.
I have the Brakemaster, it is operated by the coach air brake system, if I apply the coach brakes the toad brakes are applied. I tend to slow down for turns, and signal early.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I have the Brakemaster, it is operated by the coach air brake system, if I apply the coach brakes the toad brakes are applied. I tend to slow down for turns, and signal early.
The problem with the colliding of signals to the same filament in a light bulb, can be a pretty stout safety issue. Just because one slows for turns, or feels their brakes in the toad are not applied unless a hard stop or slow is applied, doesn't mean the situation goes away. And, while the collision of the two signals to the same filament directly effects that wiring scenario, the same kind of scenario is also seen with folks that install auxiliary light bulbs in the same housings.
When two bulbs are in such close proximity, one being in the appropriate position for maximum effect (the stock bulb) and one off to the side, one of those signals is going to be affected by the other one. In other words, while applying the brakes, and sending a turn signal to one side or the other, it's highly possible that one of them will not be seen, most likely the turn signal due to the brake light's being constant. And if someone is following your toad in tight traffic conditions or, the sun is at your back, they may not see your intentions of a turn and, may being to pass you as you slow down and are about to turn, when these folks may begin to pass you because, they can't see the appropriate turn signal. Now, how often does this exact scenario happen, probably not very often. But, I prefer it not happen AT ALL. But that's my choice.

That's with an additional bulb. But, with the scenario of the two signals being sent to the same filament, it gets worse. The issue can be alleviated with the elimination of the brake light signal from the toad, when connected to the RV by the simple use of a relay or, in my case, a toggle switch. Either one of those will stop the brake light signal from the auxiliary brake system pushing on the toads brakes, from ever getting to the toads brake lights, when being towed. The brake lights from the coach, will trigger the appropriate signals to the toads brake lights. And the same is applied to the turn signals too.

All this takes time to explain but, in reality, it's very simple. And, when done properly, your toads tail lights, using the stock factory bulbs, will look and act, the same exact way when towing the toad, as they do when driving the toad.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the brake relay so do not have a problem with the TOADs brake overriding the turn signals.

What Scott said!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #19

Your Hyundai and towing

LarryB, can you tell me if you are racking up mileage on your Hyundai when you tow? We're getting the runaround on answers for towing a Hyundai Elantra GT Sport. Thanks.
gailshipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailshipman View Post
LarryB, can you tell me if you are racking up mileage on your Hyundai when you tow? We're getting the runaround on answers for towing a Hyundai Elantra GT Sport. Thanks.

It does NOT record mileage. Also, I have always towed it with the ignition off. There are some documentation floating around that says it needs to be in ACC to tow. This only applies when it has a locking steering wheel, which mine does not.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad