Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Hooking up toad wiring

Hello everyone. We are VERY new to RV'ing, and I have a LOT of questions.
My 1st question is "how do I hook up the lighting between the RV and toad ? The Blue ox wiring kit comes with 7-6 coiled electrical cable, but how does it attach to the RV and the toad. Any help would be great, as I have so many questions about towing the toad, braking systems and more. We just bought our first RV "Georgetown 310DS, 33ft. gas

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #2

You should have a 7 pin female receptacle on the back of your tow vehicle. Not familiar with set-up but it should plug in to that 7 pin and provide power, lights, turn signals, power for the brakes, etc. I am subject to be corrected however by people with more experience with the Blue OX.

Good luck and have fun.

Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi, I don't want to be a thread killer but you should go back to where you had the Blue Ox stuff installed on your toad and have them show you how to do everything. Welcome to IRV2 and it's great you are asking us, but It could be very bad if you don't know what you are doing hooking up your toad to your RV if its the first time. Having someone, at the RV dealer or at the location that installed the Blue Ox stuff on the toad, show you in person is best.

There is also a chance that you might be missing things like a drop bar to keep the tow bar within 3" of level, and you should also have saftey cables. There is also a chance that the toad 6 pin connector won't be wired to perfectly match the signals coming from your RV on the 7 to 6 cable, and the toad installer would have to fix any of those wiring problems as part of the toad install support process.

If you can't go back to either place call Blue Ox in Pender, Nebraska and they will help you over the phone and make sure everything goes well for you. They have great customer support.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
The toad will have to be wired if it has not already been done so. Most but not all class A coaches will have a 7 wire receptacle the umbilical cord will plug into.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Motorhomes come with a variety of different lighting connectors on the back. The 7-pin standard trailer connector is common, but by no means the only type used. Sometimes adapters are needed, and sometimes a converter module is needed if the coach and toad have different lighting systems, e.g. one has separate stop and turn signals and the other does not.

Are you doing this yourself, or did you have a hitch or RV shop do the set-up?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Your question leaves more questions unanswered. Do you have a toad, do you have the wiring, do you have the complete blue ox system, there is more to the wiring than the lights, ie. toad battery charging, for the braking system. If you dont feel competent doing wiring dont do it you can mess things in hurry. Where ever you buy your towing system from should be able to do it for you or point you in the right direction. Also not all vehicles can be flat towed. This form is here to try to help you, so keep asking question. There will be some strange answers but keep asking.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #8

Hooking up toad wiring

I want to thank everyone for there help. Here is where were at.:
1). Sept. 2015- bought a new Forest River Class A (33ft.)

2). Oct- bought a toad (2003 Jeep Liberty)
3). Dec.- bought a Blue Ox "Aladdin tow bar and Bx1119 base plate, Patriot braking system, magnetic tow lights and a 7 pin to 4 adapter
4). Heading to Florida at the end of Jan for 3 months (our first real trip other then a one week shakedown).
Am I missing anything??
Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdunnells View Post
I want to thank everyone for there help. Here is where were at.:
1). Sept. 2015- bought a new Forest River Class A (33ft.)

2). Oct- bought a toad (2003 Jeep Liberty)
3). Dec.- bought a Blue Ox "Aladdin tow bar and Bx1119 base plate, Patriot braking system, magnetic tow lights and a 7 pin to 4 adapter
4). Heading to Florida at the end of Jan for 3 months (our first real trip other then a one week shakedown).
Am I missing anything??
Run the wire from the magnetic lights to the back of the motorhome....over the top or underneath....not sure if there is a 4 pin or 7 pin on the motorhome...that will give you lights..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
One way to get the brake lights and turn signals in the toad's tail lights housing is to add another bulb in the housing. Next run wiring from the newly added tail lights to a female plug on the front of the toad. Use a cable to plug the toad into the RV. This method eliminates any alteration to the existing toad wiring and does not use any of the toad's battery power.

Blue Ox BX8869 Tail Light Wiring Kit, Bulb and Socket

Blue Ox BX88206 7-Way To 6-Way Coiled Electrical Cable
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bill-

1) First, get the manual for the Liberty and read what it says about towing behind a motorhome. If there any special procedures or restrictions listed, note them and consider how they might affect the other work. Do not proceed if there's anything there that indicates it won't work (can't return installed stuff).

2) If you aren't going to do the work yourself, hire someone to install the baseplate.

3) If any special wiring is required to power the Patriot, either do that or hire someone to do it. If required by 1), above, you may need to provide a constant 12V source that goes directly to the battery, rather than using existing 12V sources (such as the cigarette lighter).

4) Install the Patriot breakaway system.

5) If your tow lights are not wireless, as "chuckster52" said, figure out how you will run the wires from the lights to the front of the Liberty in a secure fashion.

6) If you don't already have one, get a cable that connects the 7-pin motorhome trailer hitch receptacle to the lights.

7) If you need one, buy a drop or riser hitch adapter to ensure the coach and the Liberty are within the manufacturer's specifications in regards to being level at rest.

8) Make sure you have appropriate safety cables.

9) Install the wireless brake controller in the coach.

10) Connect it all up and try it out on a very short run (e.g., large, empty parking lot that has enough room for you to safely turn the coach and toad).

That's a summary of steps. Let us know how it goes.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

Demco make a plug and go wiring harness. I installed one on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Un plug from the light plug in Demco plug light harness in run to front of vehicle (4 wire boat type plug) get adapter for RV and go. Diodes are installed in harness, no need to cut in your factory harness, no switches. Happy RVing.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cauffield64 View Post
Demco make a plug and go wiring harness. I installed one on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Un plug from the light plug in Demco plug light harness in run to front of vehicle (4 wire boat type plug) get adapter for RV and go. Diodes are installed in harness, no need to cut in your factory harness, no switches. Happy RVing.
This. Sell the magnetic lights on ebay and get this:

Demco 9523088 Towed Connector Wiring Kit | Demco Tow Bars

It doesn't get any easier and it is truly plug and play. I put one on my 07 CRV in an afternoon.

Tags
toad, wiring